Student drowns at Wet 'n' Wild Waterw...

Student drowns at Wet 'n' Wild Waterworld

There are 103 comments on the El Paso Times story from May 15, 2009, titled Student drowns at Wet 'n' Wild Waterworld. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

A school outing at a water park ended in tragedy Friday when a 14-year-old boy drowned in one of the park's deepest pools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
thetruthaboutyou

United States

#1 May 15, 2009
sad
El Paso

Phoenix, AZ

#2 May 15, 2009
The water parks just wants money
Ana

Seminole, FL

#3 May 15, 2009
This is a horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to Eric's family. The park should have closed out of respect for the loss of human life. Shame on the schools who stayed for doing so. Do you understand that a little boy lost his life?
Ana

Seminole, FL

#4 May 15, 2009
My thoughts and prayers go out to this little boys' family. May he rest in peace. Shame on the schools who continued to let other children play at the park today. You should have taught respect and community caring to your students. Instead you acted as if nothing had happened. Do you understand that a little boy lost his life? I don't care if you knew him or not. Hopefully every one of those schools present today will at least show their caring by helping out his family (if needed), showing support to his family at his funeral, or in some small way showing that your students, teachers and administrators are not as callous as they appeared to be.
Jose Ortega

El Paso, TX

#5 May 15, 2009
This is a very horrible tragedy the park should be close to have some respect. May he rest in peace.
Joe

United States

#6 May 15, 2009
Extremely sad. It's time the schools stop these field trips. Water especially is too dangerous when many families have never taught their children to swim. A kid who never saw a swimming pool will see the other kids jumping into the water and do likewise.

All field trips need to stop. For one it's poor use of tax payer money and any field trip poses risks and opens the taxpayers to a big lawsuit.
ElPasoan

San Antonio, TX

#7 May 15, 2009
Wet n' wild is so stupid. They hire people that can't save lives, and their supervisors are all obese. I don't know who gave them their lifeguard certificates. They should all be investigated on why they are allowed to patrol the waters at the park. Maybe if they had hired better people, a life would have been saved.
Nathan Molina CMS

Albuquerque, NM

#8 May 15, 2009
As we eagerly left our homes this morning awaiting our fun-filled day,who would have ever imagined that our lives would have been changed in such a tragic way today? Eric your life was way too short, the world didn't get the chance that we had,to see all that you had to offer. My heart goes out to your family at this time, keeping you and them in my thoughts and prayers....
El Pasoan

Colwell, IA

#9 May 16, 2009
Read the sheriffs report dumb ass. you'll see the lifeguards did everything they could to save that life. Im proud of those lifeguards they did there best i was there and to take shots at them is unfair. Read before you talk you uneducated prick
ElPasoan wrote:
Wet n' wild is so stupid. They hire people that can't save lives, and their supervisors are all obese. I don't know who gave them their lifeguard certificates. They should all be investigated on why they are allowed to patrol the waters at the park. Maybe if they had hired better people, a life would have been saved.
Jose

El Paso, TX

#10 May 16, 2009
sad
luis castano

El Paso, TX

#11 May 16, 2009
very sad lifeguards did do there job there stupid you shoud read sheriffs report is dumd.
Teacher

Hamilton, Canada

#12 May 16, 2009
I agree with Ana. The other schools should have left the Wet N Wild out of respect. Shame on the teachers for continuing to have fun while this happened. We loved Erick and we are sad to know that many people continued on their day like nothing happened.
IQ check

Oakland, CA

#13 May 16, 2009
Joe wrote:
Extremely sad. It's time the schools stop these field trips. Water especially is too dangerous when many families have never taught their children to swim. A kid who never saw a swimming pool will see the other kids jumping into the water and do likewise.
All field trips need to stop. For one it's poor use of tax payer money and any field trip poses risks and opens the taxpayers to a big lawsuit.
"ALL" field trips should not be stopped but those with water and swimming events should be discontinued. Those are just too dangerous.
Taco

United States

#14 May 16, 2009
Now Wet-n-Wild's gonna be haunted.
El Paso

United States

#15 May 16, 2009
I don't think they should have stopped having their field trip just because this happened, if they had the kids would have had to think about this for the rest of the day - at least by letting them stay they had their minds sway from the topic of a fellow student drowning.
withanopinion

San Antonio, TX

#16 May 16, 2009
well the kid was taken to providence, so maybe they didn't want to alarm the masses at the park, perhaps most thought he would be ok, I wasn't there so I dont know how the scene played out. prayer's to the boys family and friends... these things happen all over the place, any theme park will face this... even Disney and others.

Be safe, and always have a buddy too watch you... if a buddy would of been focusing on him " while" he did or didn't hit his head, then maybe the outcome would of been different.
El Pasoan

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 May 16, 2009
I am so sad that something like this had to happen espechially to someone that didnt even expect this to happen i bet that now in heaven he is very sad that he had to die like this and i am very mad at how they still let the other kids still swim how mean was that this little boy dies and the dont even have enough of respect to tell the kids that this little boy died get out off the pool and the people that work at wet n wild are big dummies this little boy just died and they dont even close it down to show some kind of respect and i feel really bad for the family of eric i think they didnt deseive this espechially eric i give all my regards to the family i hope they go though this with a lot of hope loving and a lot of there family and friends and i will be praying for this family and this little boy and i hop[e everone does the same to show there respect for this family and this little boy that didnt even have to die like this if the life guards would have even payed attiention to this little that didnt even diservse this to die in such a tragic way and i hope that ever friend of erics goes throgh this with hope and love and family and friends to.
ladelbarrio

El Paso, TX

#18 May 16, 2009
R.I.P.
Nobody

El Paso, TX

#19 May 16, 2009
Where were the parental chaperones? Intelligence demands that parents should not only certify that their child can swim before allowing him a field trip to a water park or one of them should have been there. I realize this was a class field trip but did the school even bother to ask parents if their kids were water safe and could float at the very least?
I don't know much about the new management at Wet and Wild as it has been more than 10 years since I have been there but at that time there were no lifeguards visibly on duty! I got caught in the undertow on the slide and for a few moments was quite disoriented and I can swim well, The current does toss you around like a toy on some of the rides.
My sympathies to the family of the boy. But before they jump to sue the school the teachers and the park they must look to themselves and decide if they had prepared their son well enough to go to a water park....did he know how to swim, did he know the buddy rule, was he taught to respect the directions of his teachers and chaperones? If he did then you may have a case, but if like many kids his age he was unwilling to listen to authority, and was unprepared for water safety then you must take part of the responsibility for his death.
how tragic

El Paso, TX

#20 May 16, 2009
My deepest condolences to his family and friends. May this young man rest in peace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anthony Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Jun 8 Lil momma 279
News Five arrested in school cheating indictments in... May '16 Petro 2
News Stabbing suspect surrenders (Dec '05) Dec '15 Garry TURDeau 2
News Romero criticizes El Paso Times investigation (Nov '15) Nov '15 chicken little 5
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Oct '15 a fan 2
Governor's energy plan sets up New Mexico for n... (Sep '15) Sep '15 John Ford 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anthony Mortgages