County officials OK cuts, budget

County officials OK cuts, budget

There are 15 comments on the El Paso Times story from Oct 4, 2010, titled County officials OK cuts, budget. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

After a substantial tax hike, painful spending cuts and plenty of acrimony, the El Paso County Commissioners Court on Monday passed a $247 million budget.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

BBFan

El Paso, TX

#1 Oct 5, 2010
I don't see any county big wigs getting any kinds of salery cuts. But that's ok Maybe they are waiting till election day to announce their cuts. Let me get this right they have 31 million in reserve. They can't pull 1% to fund a program to help feed the elderly. Maybe they ought to crank up the visiting nurses to euthanize the elderly. What a place. When these people come up for election be sure to vote.
Robert

El Paso, TX

#2 Oct 5, 2010
People....that is why we need to get out and vote come November....we have seen what the present elected officials have done ( nothing except screw over its employees and citizens) ..Not to mention Commissioner Escobar, who is running for County Judge, already has predicted that we will be in the same hole next year. I donít see why anyone would vote for a person who wants to be elected as County Judge and yet instead of coming out and saying something positive (such as we will work hard throughout the year to try to prevent what took place this year) for the citizens of El Paso county.. She instead says next year will be just as brutal or if not worst...some hope she gives...PEOPLE GET OUT AND VOTE...
Merv

El Paso, TX

#3 Oct 5, 2010
This is so sad that this caused so much rift against fellow employees of the Sheriff's Department. Commissioners wanted 800,000.00 from them and they gave them 1.8 to 2.2 million instead. Commissioners must be laughing their heads off. Let's see what clever stunt they try next year, maybe the employees will give them 3 million. Wake up people!
tet

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Oct 5, 2010
as a victim of domestic abuse, who is in the 388th court, this is going to delay my hearings. I am still being harrassed by this guy and now the hearing will be delayed! Way to go commissioners...thanks for caring!
Moe

El Paso, TX

#5 Oct 5, 2010
The court did not cut into the sheriff's department deep enough. As long as they sheriff's department is driving the cars that the tax payers bought to use for duty not personal use then these people are being over paid! Where else can you get this 10 to 15 K a year benefit that is non taxable.
Everyone needs to remember to vote the bums that increased our taxes out of office! Escobar has the gall to moan and groan about the county judge salary being cut. Now you know what she is in it for and that is to screw the tax payer out of more money! I would not vote for this skank to be a dog catcher!
Mayor Coo Coo

El Paso, TX

#6 Oct 5, 2010
If only the Mayor, Mayor Cook, would actually cut some things from his own city budget instead of trying to create a new city department that we have no money to create or to fund because the city budget is broke and in the hole by over one million dollars. It's soo bad that now he wants to tax the poor Soldiers who live in Fort Bliss. Now that is pretty low. Think it's time for a New Mayor.

Humberto C.
DemoNuts

El Paso, TX

#7 Oct 5, 2010
They voted for President Obama, for Obama Care now where is the money that he promised. Where are the jobs, the better living wages, and the free healthcare. You would think that President Obama, a Democrat, would send some federal aid here to ElPaso with all the Pro-Democrats that we have here. You would think that President Obama, Democrat, would help out his political friends here in ElPaso. Looks like the Democratic Party here didn't get much love from their President. Where is all the money that he was supposed to send here. Pendejos! Can't wait to vote republican.

Sergio H.
True

El Paso, TX

#8 Oct 5, 2010
Yeah that's true. If the Democrats here are such die hard party memebers, why didn't President Obama visit with them and visit our city when he came to Fort Bliss. The Democrats here have no clout and no power. Can't wait to vote them out also.
el paso times sux

El Paso, TX

#9 Oct 5, 2010
Have you seen the insurance rates for county employees? They raised them up almost 100%. A family of four will now have to pay over $800 a month to get coverage. County will try to screw you anyway they can.
Cathy

El Paso, TX

#10 Oct 5, 2010
BBFan wrote:
I don't see any county big wigs getting any kinds of salery cuts. But that's ok Maybe they are waiting till election day to announce their cuts. Let me get this right they have 31 million in reserve. They can't pull 1% to fund a program to help feed the elderly. Maybe they ought to crank up the visiting nurses to euthanize the elderly. What a place. When these people come up for election be sure to vote.
It's only going to get worse for the elderly, when the federal government cuts their Social Securtiy after the election. You're right, it might be kinder to euthanize the elderly, than to let them starve to death.
Tea Party

El Paso, TX

#11 Oct 5, 2010
Here is a simple suggestion or soluttion to our county government financial problems. Cut useless spending in city departments and stop over-taxing businesses that provide jobs and a paycheck to working ElPasoans. If someone keeps charging and charging you more and more money everytime what are you going to do. Leave of course. Duh. Think! Stop taxing businesses that bring us jobs to death.
Tea Party II

El Paso, TX

#12 Oct 5, 2010
Maybe if they would listen to their own county business advisor and their accountant they could balance their budget and stop charging us over and over again because they don't have enough money. This is our money not theirs.

Alonzo R.
Tea Supporter

El Paso, TX

#13 Oct 5, 2010
Find out the names of the ones who are involved with wastefull spending and then make sure we kick them out and vote against them. Fed up with the same ol'story that we don't have enough money so we are going to raise taxes on the people of ElPaso. Learn how to count!

Fed UP
Party Poopers

El Paso, TX

#14 Oct 5, 2010
Yep. And it's the same old Party that controls politics here. The one with a (D), for dunces.
Cowboy slim

United States

#15 Oct 5, 2010
do you really want to balance the budget?
Pay every one the average salary. No one earns more than 35k, and every year 3% cost of living adjustment.
This way we don't have Bosses earning more than what they should be paid for, after all working in the public is never for the money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anthony Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
la tuna federal prison camp (Apr '06) Oct '17 Jonas 287
Vinton Music Thread (Dec '16) Jun '17 Musikologist 3
News Five arrested in school cheating indictments in... (Apr '16) May '17 Sniffable farts b... 15
News El Paso early voting for May 6 election dismal (Apr '17) Apr '17 uIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 2
News Woman charged with fraud in alleged Ariana Gran... (Oct '15) Apr '17 A fan 14
News Canutillo considers opposing low-income housing (Feb '17) Feb '17 butters_ 1
News Immigrants fear license checks (Nov '06) Aug '16 DC Dave 21

Anthony Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anthony Mortgages