Curios

United States

#1 Feb 12, 2013
Has anybody else wondering what they are shipping in those mysterious black cars.... I have seen hundreds to thousands in the past week going north... Never south... Is it fuel, oil, mystery liquid ??? One really has to be curious
Railroader

United States

#2 Mar 1, 2013
They're empty oil tankers coming back from the gulf
Curios

United States

#3 Mar 2, 2013
If they are empty why are they still placarded
sarah

Wentzville, MO

#4 Mar 2, 2013
Actually they haul many different things, like different kinds of cereals to chips to many other kinds of foods and other products. They are shipped in bulk by train to their packaging plants. I know this bc of a family member that works cleaning the train cars after they make their deliveries.
I

United States

#5 Mar 2, 2013
Curios wrote:
A lot of them are used by ISP minerals or the name now is SGI to haul granuals.
Part Timer

Hazelwood, MO

#6 Mar 4, 2013
Curios wrote:
If they have a placard, you know what is in them. Look it up.
Paranoid

United States

#7 Mar 4, 2013
Its fuel... For DHS ... When they start to take over the citizens they will need fuel for their vechicles.
BJ A

Columbia, MO

#8 Mar 22, 2013
These are in fact empty petroleum crude oil cars as stated previously ( Placard 1267 ). They are operated by the BNSF railway with train names of "OSJEP XX" XX standing for various numbers that may be used. These trains are loaded in North Dakota and travel south to St. James Louisiana. The empty trains return northbound via multiple routes depending on traffic. A large number of these trains will go from Poplar Bluff through Dexter, and on to Illinois totally avoiding the Desoto Subdivision that travels through Iron County, however when traffic is high, they will re-route these trains through the area. These cars remain placarded at all times because residual oil will remain in the empty cars as they shuttle back and forth hauling the same loads over and over. A quick google search of BNSF OSJEP will result in pictures and videos of these trains, OSJEP 15 in particular, which I myself spent several hours trackside in an attempt to see before I realized it had went through Dexter. Hope this helps.
sarah

Troy, MO

#9 Mar 23, 2013
well traffic must be high every single day then, bc they come through iron county several times a day some back to back.
BJ A

Columbia, MO

#10 Mar 25, 2013
sarah wrote:
well traffic must be high every single day then, bc they come through iron county several times a day some back to back.
Yes, there are a lot of trains already traveling the other lines, so with the addition of these new oil trains in the past year or so they've had to find additional routes. Some of these other areas can see in the range of 60-100 trains in a 24 hour period just to give you an idea of the massive amount of traffic flowing. On another note, higher train traffic is a good sign of a strengthening economy.
Part Timer

Hazelwood, MO

#11 Mar 26, 2013
higher train traffic is a good sign of a strengthening economy.
Yes, but a pipline is a MUCH more efficient way of moving the oil not to mention all the jobs. Tell the POTUS to get the he11 out of the way and let them build it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Annapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Valley Tavern??? (Aug '15) 4 hr Haha 10
Does a man have the right to hit a woman for an... 7 hr maurice 8
Daddy's itch 18 hr Summer69 6
dead beat dads/moms (Dec '09) Mon just me 11
Nice blonde with nice rack working at caseys Sun wow 2
jeff roux (Nov '14) Sun Someone who knows 2
traffic congestion. Jul 23 victor 6

Annapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance