Lorain, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

I recived a request for assistance from the Law Enforcement Leagl Defence Fund of Merrifield
and wanted to make sure its not a scam.
Capt R A Jaycox
P carlson

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2008

Judged:

I checked out the Defense Fund's website and there is no mention of the Lawler case. I also checked into the news accounts of the shooting by Robert Lawyer, and the news accounts and Lawyer's partner's account differs from what is in the letter. Also, I found the Defense Fund spends over 75% of donations on fund reaising, not a good thing. I am not contributing.
C Knapp

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2008

Judged:

I too received a request today, soliciting donations for the defense of Robert Lawlor. I am not sure how I got on their list, however, I have also done some research (like P. Carlson) and I will not be contributing to Mr. Lawlor's defense fund. Apparently, they have purchased a list of persons that have donated to any type of law enforcement organization, as I have done in the past. (Fresno, CA)
D Rittendale

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2008

Judged:

My dad received a request for assistance, he's 88 years old and in poor health, on a fixed income. If any one knows how names get on these lists, please reply to this message, he is getting bombarded with requests for money and ends of very depressed that he cannot help. Frankly I think she has a lot of nerve hitting on the senior citizens.

Since: Mar 07

Annandale, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2008

Judged:

If you think it's a scam and/or don't seek THEM out to finance them, then why give it another look?
cynthia

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

Judged:

My elderly mother-in-law also got a request in the mail. She has contributed to police fund in the past because they call her home and hound her on the phone and she gives in. So maybe that is how they find folks! I thank goodness don't get em.
Kris

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

Judged:

D Rittendale wrote:
My dad received a request for assistance, he's 88 years old and in poor health, on a fixed income. If any one knows how names get on these lists, please reply to this message, he is getting bombarded with requests for money and ends of very depressed that he cannot help. Frankly I think she has a lot of nerve hitting on the senior citizens.
My mother, also 88 years old and on a fixed income received this solicitation for help also. As far as I know, she has never contributed to any type of police fund, etc.
Blaine Means

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

Judged:

I would certainly think that this borders on mail fraud. I am not giving to a scam like this.

“Hello There!”

Since: Feb 09

Springfield, Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

Why them police be calling me alla damn time axin for money? Don't give them no moneys becuz i think they be scammin us hard werkin peeplez.
CMoore

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2009

Judged:

"Ms. Moorer: We are supporting Officer Lawlor. this is an emotionally charged case with Officer Lawlor facing manslaughter charges. We are facing enormous legal and expert witness expenses based on an appeal to the Connecticut Supreme court and now with a trial on the merits. We know Offier Lawlor will be exonerated at trial. thanks for your interest and support. David H. Martin, Chairman" from Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund
Marilyn

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2009

Judged:

I received this request and do not know how Mrs. Lawlor got my name. However, I looked up this LELOF's rating in Wise Giving Guide and it did not meet 9 ! standards. On Charity Navigator, it got only 1 star. Of the money received and spent helping law enforcement officers, the amount was only 10.9 % and the amount spent on fundraising was
78.2 %!! This is one bad charity and I'm not giving to it.
Sofia

Williamstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2009

Judged:

We received the letter today from Stephanie Lawlor, asking for contributions. We do not know how she got our name. We did find the site that gives complete detail & photos of Bob Lawlor, it is

http://www.helplawlor.com/index.html

We feel for them, but she is out of line in asking the public for donations, especially with the state of our economy, when everyone is struggling to care for their own families. The financial support should be from the LELDF & her own family & friends. I would also suggest she contacts 60 Minutes or 20/20 to bring this to the public, which could result in other legal help coming forward for them.
We are not contributing but wish them well.
Kathy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

Judged:

I live in central Florida and just received the solicitation in today's mail.I don't know how she obtained my name and address. That troubles me most of all.
The Whole Truth

Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2009

Seeing how the flyers showing Robert Lawlor and his wife (2nd) and six children make you believe that they have six kids.....the truth is that four of those girls are from Robert's first marriage and three of them live with their mother and not Robert and Stephanie. The oldest daughter lives with her boyfriend and their baby daughter. Robert and his wife live with the wife's two girls only.
Herschel Baird

Holden, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

Judged:

I received this letter from Stephanie Lawlor asking for a donation. I have no idea where she obtained my name and address. It's a good sob story, buut it appears that justice wlll prevail. I too am 88 years old and I'm not donating. I think it's a scam.
targeting 88 year olds

Milford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

I do private duty home care and my client is 88, she just received the letter today, I submitted the information to SNOPES, there is too much in the certainly compelling tale that raised red flags for me. If and when I hear back from SNOPES here I will post what I learn.
Lisa

Bear, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2009

Judged:

targeting 88 year olds wrote:
I do private duty home care and my client is 88, she just received the letter today, I submitted the information to SNOPES, there is too much in the certainly compelling tale that raised red flags for me. If and when I hear back from SNOPES here I will post what I learn.
My father is 83 years old, and received a request for a donation in the mail as well. I don't know how they got his information but this happens constantly and I'm trying to stop it. Many people are preying on the elderly and our government has to get involved. Does anyone know how to get off their mailing list? They conveniently haven't left any info. to do so.
Justin

New Bern, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2009

Judged:

Yes i received the letter too. it's less about how they got your address and more about is this a legit case. However, most likely since you put your address on most nearly everything, info is easily accessible. Plus, you can purchase addresses cheaply through the web. Welcome to the information age in a free monopolized country.
Justin

New Bern, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2009

Judged:

oh....afterall i did not even put my city of residence on the topic above and yet "they" and you know I'm from New Bern, NC. Case in point!

Again, is this a legit case? Quit whining about how someone got your address and spent almost 50 cents on using a company that is faltering (usps)and more about the gravity of the Lawlor's situation. More research is needed.
Justin

New Bern, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2009

Judged:

this link from the CT's government website may give some insight as this may not be a scam, however, they could be exploiting a legit case and a false address to receive money.

http://www.ct.gov/csao/cwp/view.asp...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Annandale Discussions

Search the Annandale Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 2 hr James 2,541
Review: Victor O'Neill Studio (Oct '08) Jul 2 Mary 8
Review: IT PRO Nets (Jan '13) Jun 29 Shawn 4
fourth of july fireworks Jun 19 mickey wilson 1
Review: Baden Baden Jun 16 Robert 1
Falls Church Jukebox (Jun '12) May '14 Musikologist 17
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
•••
•••
•••
Annandale Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Annandale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••