Minnesota speaker apologizes after pr...

Minnesota speaker apologizes after prayer by pastor

There are 1146 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 20, 2011, titled Minnesota speaker apologizes after prayer by pastor. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A fiery preacher opened today's Minnesota House session with a prayer that was so offensive that the chamber's regular chaplain was called in to offer a second prayer and the speaker issued an apology.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 58
Next Last
DitchWitch

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 20, 2011
Did this help his cause?
wtf

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 20, 2011
I thought they had a resident chaplain.

They don't know who chose Dean? Betcha it was a republican.
Whatever

Las Vegas, NV

#3 May 20, 2011
Normally, I would say this was not a cool move.

But, considering how Obama, the liberal media, and almost everyone else on the left have gone out of their way to diminish and demean Christianity these past couple of years, I'm pretty OK with this!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gggggr

Saint Paul, MN

#4 May 20, 2011
There is no need for prayer before opening the House session. It is a waste of time, get to work already and stop the hate.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mark

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 20, 2011
While I feel his assessment is correct, prayer is not the place to make any such statement.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mike

Winona, MN

#6 May 20, 2011
Saw the video and must say that I was not offended by the remarks since I am not a God cultist. I have listened to President's make official speeches going back to Kennedy and it appears to be mantra that "God Bless America" be included somewhere in the speech, usually at the end. Obama is no different so I didn't get this pastors point. BTW, I have never heard a President make a public speech and begin or end it with Jesus Bless America. If anyone has video on this I would be happy to admit the fact.
Stupid Guy

Saint Paul, MN

#7 May 20, 2011
That was sooooo stupid of him to say that during a prayer. I'm a long time Christian and I am offended that he bashed out like that. That was not the time to do that. We are not called to judge others.
Yep

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 20, 2011
Mark wrote:
While I feel his assessment is correct, prayer is not the place to make any such statement.
Amen - agree 100% with what you said
johnny

Burnsville, MN

#9 May 20, 2011
Zellers deserves some credit for having the balls to denounce this religious thug. That said, I hope that this is followed by an investigation and an official reprimand of whoever made the decision. I know Dean was one of Emmer's buddies, but Emmer shouldn't have any say (other than that of a citizen) as to what goes on in the House.

Inevitably, there will be claims that the vetting process was incomplete, but when elected representatives, who are supposed to represent ALL citizens of MN, bring in a "minister" who has suggested in the past that executing homosexuals was a good thing, it is clear to me that there are many Republicans who are intent in tearing our country apart, destroying the very ideas our country were founded upon, and making this great land into a Christian version of a Taliban-like theocracy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hmmmm

Minneapolis, MN

#10 May 20, 2011
Didn't anybody check on the hate-mongers background before letting him speak?
Nostradumas

Webster, NY

#11 May 20, 2011
Dean is, according to his "Junkyard Prophet" website, a founder of the Annandale-based "You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International" Christian youth ministry. He has been criticized for making inflammatory remarks about homosexuals on radio shows.

Good thing the world is ending tomorrow. You can run but you can hide!!!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12 May 20, 2011
Obama said it best: "he's a jackass."

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14 May 20, 2011
Jack a__.
Donkey.
burro.
djigoo

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 20, 2011
More hatred and intolerance from the Christofascist/Talibangelical wing of the GOP.

Why should we expect anything different? They're angry that their type of bigotry is being exposed for what it is, and more and more people are rejecting what they spew.

Flail away, haters...your day is over soon.
IronRanger

Farmington, MN

#16 May 20, 2011
This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. President Obama has the right to choose how he worships, who he worshisp and when he worships. No pastor, priest, bishop, or other leader of any church has the right to tell him God see's him. President Obama could be a athiest and that is his right, just as it is your to worship your way.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hummmmmm

Lakeville, MN

#18 May 20, 2011
Bet if it was a muslim it would have been just fine

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
MOM of 3

Menomonie, WI

#19 May 20, 2011
What staff member would allow this so called minister to say the opening prayer? Didn't they do their homework before agreeing to have him speak? Especially when there is a debate regarding gay marriage and this so called minister has said on radio he approves the death penalty for gays. I think this staff member should be fired.
MKidd

Rosemount, MN

#20 May 20, 2011
Whatever wrote:
Normally, I would say this was not a cool move.
But, considering how Obama, the liberal media, and almost everyone else on the left have gone out of their way to diminish and demean Christianity these past couple of years, I'm pretty OK with this!
Big surprise, troll.
the chosen ones

Minneapolis, MN

#21 May 20, 2011
Bradlee Dean, noted spiritual advisor and prod-master to Minnesota's Tea Partiers and their legions of GOP goons.

Let us be Glad that Jesus has chosen Them to lead us to grace and salvation.
Mark

Minneapolis, MN

#22 May 20, 2011
I was offened just as soon as I saw the guy standing there in a track suite addressing the House.

His message was really one of hate and division.

I too question why if we are paying to have a Chaplain on staff at the Capital why we need guest Chaplains to offer up prayers.

If we really want to cut the budget. Cut the Chaplain and any staff he or she has. Then skip the prayer get your butts to work!So that the citizens of Minnesota don't have to pay for a special session.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 58
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Annandale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kingston Music Thread Sep '17 Musikologist 1
Bob gruys (Jul '15) Jul '15 1965 cadillac 1
Maple Lake Beer (Dec '12) Feb '15 Canadian tv shows... 4
Review: Melgaard Services (Feb '14) Feb '14 Civitas 1
News New busing system to start this fall at Mpls. h... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Truth 3
urban Agriculture & First Fruit Misionary's Gue... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Haiti Gardens 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '11 ex-pert 162

Annandale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Annandale Mortgages