Anna Maria Island Retains 'Old Florid...

Anna Maria Island Retains 'Old Florida' Feel

There are 16 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 21, 2009, titled Anna Maria Island Retains 'Old Florida' Feel. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Longboat is high-rise, upscale and gated. Anna Maria Island is low-key, low-rise and open.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

rosa

Seymour, CT

#1 Mar 21, 2009
I been to anna maria island many time is breath taking
catlady

East Lansing, MI

#2 Mar 21, 2009
I live in Sarasota and havce been up to Anna Maria Island a few times. It is really a quaint and eclectic place. I love the beaches down here and the whole lifestyle. I doubt CT will see me again.
ricbee

Mansfield Center, CT

#3 Mar 21, 2009
catlady wrote:
I live in Sarasota and havce been up to Anna Maria Island a few times. It is really a quaint and eclectic place. I love the beaches down here and the whole lifestyle. I doubt CT will see me again.
You've convinced me-I'm on the way!
Buzz

Newington, CT

#4 Mar 21, 2009
never been there but it sounds almost too good to be true in this day and age. We have stayed at 4 star places and no star places and prefer the simpler way of life. Our next visit to Florida will probably include a stop at what sounds like a little bit of paradise.
Mudville Pundit

Longmeadow, MA

#5 Mar 22, 2009
I was there for a sunset. Nice place, friendly people.
D Man

Manchester, NH

#6 Mar 22, 2009
You can't beat the Sandbar, sipping a cocktail, while watching the sun set into the Gulf of Mexico.
Ron

Meriden, CT

#7 Mar 23, 2009
Careful vacationers - I just checked one of the places they mentioned in the article (Harrington House) and they only allow 12 yr olds and older to stay there.
girl

Newington, CT

#8 Mar 23, 2009
I have been there several times a few years back when i was 21-23 years old. What I enjoyed was the tranquility-it wasn't real touristy-not a party beach by any means, the beautiful beach, and It was just wonderful. We rented a condo, and were able to cook a lot.
I would highly recommend the crab cakes from the Sandbar (Restaurant). And the view while you are sitting there dining at the Sandbar-setting over the ocean is breathtaking. Nearby just beyond Longboat Key, around Sarasota is a really cool aquarium-the Manatee aquarium--It's small, but very educational and a neat place for kids and adults-I went back there 3 years in a row.
Richard Ouellett

AOL

#9 Mar 23, 2009
Great story, It's sounds like Florida's secret jem!

Thanks
Judy Turcotte

Auburndale, FL

#10 Mar 25, 2009
We have been going to Anna Maria Island for more than ten years and the place is like a paradise. A wonderful place to let go of the stress and just relax.
Judy Turcotte

Auburndale, FL

#11 Mar 25, 2009
There are plenty of places to stay with children on the island or near by. The beaches are full of people with thier small children.
texasguy

Deer Park, TX

#12 Mar 27, 2009
my granddaughter was married on the island a few yrs. back. Lovely setting!! have a daughter in bradenton close by the beach, unfortunately, have not been there in 4 yrs But!!! for sure plan to go back..
Earl Caller

Wesley Chapel, FL

#13 Apr 8, 2009
This article truly describes The Island. We live here and we rarely see an article that is more factual and complete than this one.
Neil - Wales

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#14 Apr 22, 2009
If you're looking for some really nice affordable condos on the island then I suggest Runaway Bay. We stayed at Number 127...
Ann in England

UK

#15 Apr 25, 2009
I spent 20 years holidaying on Crescent Beach, Siesta Key from 1967 and watched it slowly change. Visited Anna Maria in April 2008 for the first time and bought a house on the canal a week later. A piece of paradise. I love watching the sun rise over Tampa Bay and seeing it set over the Gulf of Mexico. The best thing is you do not need a car once you are there!
Islandjohnny

Fort Myers, FL

#16 Apr 26, 2009
For many years residents worried that it would become overcrowded. So far, it's truly remained a paradise except for some extremely wealthy (ocean view property) cranks who are always fighting to keep visitors away from their tourist routines.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anna Maria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WindMark Beach (Jun '15) Feb 17 Mininger1 2
The Who? (Mar '16) Feb 11 anonymous 88
News (Video Noon)Saturday's River Regatta... Feb 4 theheartlady 1
Tierra Verde Music Thread Jan '17 Musikologist 1
Dating Jan '17 mosaic STD 2
News Baby found hours after birth in weeds near Palm... (Apr '08) Jan '17 haley 126
News Andy Adams says - no' to Colony Resort proposal... Nov '16 chris 1

Anna Maria Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anna Maria Mortgages