broke state
Concern

United States

#61 Jul 23, 2012
tim wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be jealous to bring up stuff like that ; )
No I just want to be able to make a living and live in beautiful Southern Illinois. People should be aware of state salaries. It is obvious the gross adverse effets these salaries have and continue to have on the financial situation of this state.
Concern

United States

#62 Jul 23, 2012
Joe Taxpayer wrote:
I know back in the 60's , 70's even into the 80's you had about 1000 patients at Choate. With a staff level of 3 to 4 hundred maybe. I've read recently where the staff levels are at the very least the same, more than likely increased to about 500 staff. Meanwhile the patient count has dropped to two hundred something! More staff than ever, less patients than ever........should in no way equal more overtime than ever!!!!!!!!! Believe me my hat goes off to any of the frontline direct care workers. That is a very tough job. But this overtime pay and staff levels makes no sense
Your absolutely right Joe. Choate is currently serving approximately 160 adults with developmental disabilities. I know there are more individuals than that counting the mental health side, but I would suspect not more than 250. Reports suggest upto 525 current employees
really

United States

#63 Jul 23, 2012
Concern wrote:
<quoted text>
Your absolutely right Joe. Choate is currently serving approximately 160 adults with developmental disabilities. I know there are more individuals than that counting the mental health side, but I would suspect not more than 250. Reports suggest upto 525 current employees
reports? What reports? And you have to remember even at that there is not 525 employees working on the dd side or mh side with the patients. There no more than at most 12 staff per unit on midnites theres only about 6 per unit so where u get your 525 is way off. Maybe in the field all together but not at just one facility. So there you go spouting off incorrect information, the only thing this site is good for. So try checking your facts again before talking. Not to mention you forget about our forensics unit... security... office personnel...and dont forget there are other businesses on choate grounds... daycare.. headstart... public aid office and so on. If you think what choate employees make is rediculous check out the salaries of the workers up nort that do less and deal with less behaviors thab choate employees...theres something you should be more irate about...but you probably havent even thought about that cus you just want to jump on the bandwagon of oh the states broke people at choate make to much close it down....yea everyone on that bandwagon is stupid plain and simple...if choate wasnt needed it wouldnt be operating...but it is needed so its open. You want to complain about people makin too much look at what your governors makin and all his lackies...they get raises just for being his lackies. Look at what local city workers make...especially ones that spend most their timr in a building doing nothing. Look at the county workers...if youre going to complain about people making money think of 2 things first. 1. What are other people making that work for cities or counties and so forth. 2. If they didnt have these jobs what would it be like to live around here...look at cairo thats what union county will become if choate closes. Jobs lost houses vacant everywhere... you think all the stores will survive if choate closes? Nk they wont because there wont be enough people around to spend money at them because they will have moved for another state job. And you all have no idea just who all may work there cus i would bet some of you bitching about their pay have family members that work there whether you know it or not. Leave choate alone unless you are willing to broaden your complaints to other areas because choate and its workers are NOT whats breaking the state.
Concern

Richmond, MO

#64 Jul 23, 2012
Hey really, look up the Choate developmental center profile on the illiois department of human services website. Maybe their numbers are incorrect. In 2011 Choate had a budget in excess of 38 million, 500 employees and 159 individuals with developmental disabilities. What is the total Census right now? I understand other agencies utilize choate grounds.
you talk about salaries up north. I have thought about that. Jacksnonville is being closed, murray center ( by far the best developmental center in Illinois) is slated to be closed and one other mental health center. Don't pick on Governor Quinn he just inherited this fiscal disaster. I am not saying a state developmental center is not needed. At the same time it is not economically feasable to have a budget like Choate in regards to the number of individuals servded. Its simple the individuals served have become a service to the state as opposed to the state being a service to Illinois' most vulnerable citizens. You are absolutely correct what will happen with the closing of Choate. The downfall of small town america. However at the same time state government cannot continue down the fiscal path it has been traveling. Vote out the incumbents and give someone else a chance. They are to overpaid at 74,500/year
really

United States

#65 Jul 23, 2012
Why would i give quinn a break? Yes he walked into a mess but does that give him the right to give himself and his lackies a raise right off?! HELL NO! So no he doesnt get a break. And i dont have to look it up, i work there, so i know how many staff and individuals there are. And there are more than jut the 4 centers mentioned on this thread in illinois. As for murray center no its not the best. You know what they did withindividuals that had behaviors they couldnt deal with? They sent them to choate! And if choate closes union county and surrounding counties will become ghost towns as no one will be abke to afford to live in them abd businesses will fail therefore more lost jobs more empty houses for sale. We DONT need a bigger cairo! You say were overpaid...compared to who? Non state jobs? Its always been a fact state employees make more. Federal employees make even more...thats why they are the jobs that are sought after and theres a reason the pay is what it is. Are you gona bitch when a guy painting water towers makes 100k in a year bcause of additional hazzard pay? We get hurt at work at times its part of the job, therefore we get compensated for it. Ive had broken nose numerous lacerations from fingernails and blood drawn from being bit, not once did i go on medical leave for it, i kept working...thats what they pay me the money i get paid for. If you dont like it too bad, they wont cut our pay any lower than what it is. We willingly gave up getting raises to keep the place running, how many of you bitching have ever gave up a raise...none of you i would bet, so dont sit there and say we are out for ourselves when we do things like that to keep the place open so we all have jobs, the people living there arent shipped further from their families or to a place where they will be abused or eventually thrown in jail, or to keep the place open so the downward spiral doesnt effect multiple counties! So until you are in our shoes doing our job, getting our injuries (some of which are broken necks) or are willingly giving up raises to save other peoples jobs, homes, and everything else you dont have the right to judge what we get paid!
Concern wrote:
Hey really, look up the Choate developmental center profile on the illiois department of human services website. Maybe their numbers are incorrect. In 2011 Choate had a budget in excess of 38 million, 500 employees and 159 individuals with developmental disabilities. What is the total Census right now? I understand other agencies utilize choate grounds.
you talk about salaries up north. I have thought about that. Jacksnonville is being closed, murray center ( by far the best developmental center in Illinois) is slated to be closed and one other mental health center. Don't pick on Governor Quinn he just inherited this fiscal disaster. I am not saying a state developmental center is not needed. At the same time it is not economically feasable to have a budget like Choate in regards to the number of individuals servded. Its simple the individuals served have become a service to the state as opposed to the state being a service to Illinois' most vulnerable citizens. You are absolutely correct what will happen with the closing of Choate. The downfall of small town america. However at the same time state government cannot continue down the fiscal path it has been traveling. Vote out the incumbents and give someone else a chance. They are to overpaid at 74,500/year
tim

Chanhassen, MN

#66 Jul 23, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>reports? What reports? And you have to remember even at that there is not 525 employees working on the dd side or mh side with the patients. There no more than at most 12 staff per unit on midnites theres only about 6 per unit so where u get your 525 is way off. Maybe in the field all together but not at just one facility. So there you go spouting off incorrect information, the only thing this site is good for. So try checking your facts again before talking. Not to mention you forget about our forensics unit... security... office personnel...and dont forget there are other businesses on choate grounds... daycare.. headstart... public aid office and so on. If you think what choate employees make is rediculous check out the salaries of the workers up nort that do less and deal with less behaviors thab choate employees...theres something you should be more irate about...but you probably havent even thought about that cus you just want to jump on the bandwagon of oh the states broke people at choate make to much close it down....yea everyone on that bandwagon is stupid plain and simple...if choate wasnt needed it wouldnt be operating...but it is needed so its open. You want to complain about people makin too much look at what your governors makin and all his lackies...they get raises just for being his lackies. Look at what local city workers make...especially ones that spend most their timr in a building doing nothing. Look at the county workers...if youre going to complain about people making money think of 2 things first. 1. What are other people making that work for cities or counties and so forth. 2. If they didnt have these jobs what would it be like to live around here...look at cairo thats what union county will become if choate closes. Jobs lost houses vacant everywhere... you think all the stores will survive if choate closes? Nk they wont because there wont be enough people around to spend money at them because they will have moved for another state job. And you all have no idea just who all may work there cus i would bet some of you bitching about their pay have family members that work there whether you know it or not. Leave choate alone unless you are willing to broaden your complaints to other areas because choate and its workers are NOT whats breaking the state.
That's the attitude we have to change, that we have to rely on the state for growth. Look at places like st Clair, effingham, etc. Private sector growth! We've been spoiled by state jobs and turned our back as transcraft, Florsheim, etc. packed up and moved.
tim

Chanhassen, MN

#67 Jul 23, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>reports? What reports? And you have to remember even at that there is not 525 employees working on the dd side or mh side with the patients. There no more than at most 12 staff per unit on midnites theres only about 6 per unit so where u get your 525 is way off. Maybe in the field all together but not at just one facility. So there you go spouting off incorrect information, the only thing this site is good for. So try checking your facts again before talking. Not to mention you forget about our forensics unit... security... office personnel...and dont forget there are other businesses on choate grounds... daycare.. headstart... public aid office and so on. If you think what choate employees make is rediculous check out the salaries of the workers up nort that do less and deal with less behaviors thab choate employees...theres something you should be more irate about...but you probably havent even thought about that cus you just want to jump on the bandwagon of oh the states broke people at choate make to much close it down....yea everyone on that bandwagon is stupid plain and simple...if choate wasnt needed it wouldnt be operating...but it is needed so its open. You want to complain about people makin too much look at what your governors makin and all his lackies...they get raises just for being his lackies. Look at what local city workers make...especially ones that spend most their timr in a building doing nothing. Look at the county workers...if youre going to complain about people making money think of 2 things first. 1. What are other people making that work for cities or counties and so forth. 2. If they didnt have these jobs what would it be like to live around here...look at cairo thats what union county will become if choate closes. Jobs lost houses vacant everywhere... you think all the stores will survive if choate closes? Nk they wont because there wont be enough people around to spend money at them because they will have moved for another state job. And you all have no idea just who all may work there cus i would bet some of you bitching about their pay have family members that work there whether you know it or not. Leave choate alone unless you are willing to broaden your complaints to other areas because choate and its workers are NOT whats breaking the state.
Paducah is a nice clean place and they don't rely on the state to take care of them. They cater to the private sector more but at the same time haven't laid off state workers either. What we are seeing in Illinois is the result when you have state unions in bed with the politicians. How much pension debt are we in now, 80 BILLION?! How does that happen. Seems like someone should've stepped up when it was 8 million in the hole to try to solve the problem. What is your recommendation Really?
really

United States

#68 Jul 23, 2012
We didnt turn our backs on transcraft and florsheim they turned their backs on their workers. As for pension debt dont be blaming all of that on retired chaote workers! That falls alot on politicians, you do realize they get paid by the state even when theyre out of office? Point is you guys act like choate is the cause of all of this you need to open your eyes and start seeing there are many places that are involved and they go alot higher than one facility. But then again this is a democratic state unfortunately so you all support quinn in his decisions, unfortunately if you ever have a loved one that needs to be in a place like choate for help it may not be there one day and youre stuck with places like alton and chester and other places where they will be abused. So keep saying close choate and when all hell breaks loose and youre houses get robbed because everyone thats worth a damn to have as a neighbor has moved because union county and others are another cairo when you want someone to blame, just look in the mirror and start pointing and shouting. But dont let anyone catch you cause then you may end up somewhere cus people say youre mentally ill...and for your sake i hope its not a place where you will be abused cus choate wont be here to keep you clise to family and help you without abusing you.
tim

Chanhassen, MN

#69 Jul 23, 2012
really wrote:
We didnt turn our backs on transcraft and florsheim they turned their backs on their workers. As for pension debt dont be blaming all of that on retired chaote workers! That falls alot on politicians, you do realize they get paid by the state even when theyre out of office? Point is you guys act like choate is the cause of all of this you need to open your eyes and start seeing there are many places that are involved and they go alot higher than one facility. But then again this is a democratic state unfortunately so you all support quinn in his decisions, unfortunately if you ever have a loved one that needs to be in a place like choate for help it may not be there one day and youre stuck with places like alton and chester and other places where they will be abused. So keep saying close choate and when all hell breaks loose and youre houses get robbed because everyone thats worth a damn to have as a neighbor has moved because union county and others are another cairo when you want someone to blame, just look in the mirror and start pointing and shouting. But dont let anyone catch you cause then you may end up somewhere cus people say youre mentally ill...and for your sake i hope its not a place where you will be abused cus choate wont be here to keep you clise to family and help you without abusing you.
I'm not blaming anyone I have no idea what the solution is either. I'm just saying if we keep on business as usual it won't work. It isn't working. We need some fresh ideas and leaders willing to come forth and try them.
really

United States

#70 Jul 23, 2012
But closing state facilities and prisons is not the way to go about it! What are we going to fix by causing mass job lose not only by just closing the facilities but the spiral effect of stores getting less business therefore laying/firing workers which will cause lits of people losing their homes or moving and leaving homes vacant. All thats going to do is break things further and faster. Quinn is in the wrong for wanting these places closed. The best thing we can do is update facilities that way we can use more building, decrease the amount of people living in one area, which leads to better care less staff needed at one time in one area. Open up more upward positions so staff arent getting laid off and can still make a living. Yes up front it would cost more but it would pay for itself over time. Also quit cutting the budget for these facilities to give himself and his people raises that arent deserved. These places are needed, not just for the jobs they create but for the people they help. The problem isnt the facilities themselves, some its the way theyre ran others its lack of funds to do repairs. Closing tamms is going to lead to more inmates and cos getting badly hurt or killed, closing choate would put people in homes that cant deal with certain behaviors therefor those people will end up abused in jail or even killed for something they dont know any better than what they did. And both would have a mass downward spiral on the economy and well being of all counties surrounding them. The problem starts at the top as always fix it their and it will trickle down but quinns approach is dead wrong. You dont close facilities that are needed, you find a way to fix the issues and help get them fixed and watch the benefits that come from it. Fix up choate create more jobs more money going into local economy and state economy. You dont want murderers locked up 23hrs a day find a way to change it and fix it, create more jobs and again more money into the economy. Dont close them and take money away from the economy, thats just stupid.
believe

Chanhassen, MN

#71 Jul 23, 2012
The founders of the labor movement viewed unions as a vehicle to get workers more of the profits they help create. Government workers, however, don’t generate profits. They merely negotiate for more tax money. When government unions picket, they picket against taxpayers.
really

United States

#72 Jul 23, 2012
believe wrote:
The founders of the labor movement viewed unions as a vehicle to get workers more of the profits they help create. Government workers, however, don’t generate profits. They merely negotiate for more tax money. When government unions picket, they picket against taxpayers.
the picket last year was against quinn not following through on a contract he aggreed to then didnt follow through on, had nothing to do with tax payers. As well im sure you dont know about the 3 unwelcoming committees that greeted him in 3 different places this year for the same reason and to show disgust at his plans of closing the facilities he is closing. So get more facts before you talk a bunch of garbage.
tim

Chanhassen, MN

#73 Jul 23, 2012
How about open the unused parts of Choate up for tours, which will be done by volunteers and money put in a fund for the restoration of the deteriorating parts of Choate. Then when and if the discussion comes up in Springfield about closing Choate there will be a good argument that the citizens have worked hard to restore Choate.
really

United States

#74 Jul 23, 2012
tim wrote:
How about open the unused parts of Choate up for tours, which will be done by volunteers and money put in a fund for the restoration of the deteriorating parts of Choate. Then when and if the discussion comes up in Springfield about closing Choate there will be a good argument that the citizens have worked hard to restore Choate.
some you cant go through due to asbetos. But i see where you are going with that. And i know alot of people want to go through the tunnels but alot are behind locked gates people dont have keys to and others are caved in but yes there are some that are able to be gone through but safety is still an issue in those. Not sayin its a bad idea just putting out information on it that alot of people dont know about.
RoscoPcoaltrain

United States

#75 Jul 24, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text> the picket last year was against quinn not following through on a contract he aggreed to then didnt follow through on, had nothing to do with tax payers. As well im sure you dont know about the 3 unwelcoming committees that greeted him in 3 different places this year for the same reason and to show disgust at his plans of closing the facilities he is closing. So get more facts before you talk a bunch of garbage.
I think the point regarding state salaries is being misunderstood. The job you do permits a worthiness of your salary! We all seem to agee on that! However, it looks to me like you and your rank and file co-workers should have picketed your own union for allowing the very legislators they endorse to skip your pension payments time after time, and refuse your wage increase. All while taking that money and dolling it out to their political friends in the form of OVERPAID administrators, power plant staff, assistants to assistants etc.... Like I stated before, if you have administrators working overtime as direct care; then you have to many administrators and not enough frontline staff. I don't think the Choate center is being picked on here. It is however, an overall indication of the states egregious business practices at large. Someone earlier said the union was in bed with the politicians and that sounds right on to me.
tim

Chanhassen, MN

#76 Jul 24, 2012
RoscoPcoaltrain wrote:
<quoted text>I think the point regarding state salaries is being misunderstood. The job you do permits a worthiness of your salary! We all seem to agee on that! However, it looks to me like you and your rank and file co-workers should have picketed your own union for allowing the very legislators they endorse to skip your pension payments time after time, and refuse your wage increase. All while taking that money and dolling it out to their political friends in the form of OVERPAID administrators, power plant staff, assistants to assistants etc.... Like I stated before, if you have administrators working overtime as direct care; then you have to many administrators and not enough frontline staff. I don't think the Choate center is being picked on here. It is however, an overall indication of the states egregious business practices at large. Someone earlier said the union was in bed with the politicians and that sounds right on to me.
Right on the money Rosco
concerned

Anna, IL

#77 Jul 24, 2012
High wages are great if deserved. But there is at least one person at Choate that works on a salary of over $6000 a month and doesn't even put in a full 40 hours a week. She likes to party every night and usually doesn't go to work until noon if she goes in at all. She's either hung over or still drunk from the night before. This is what aggravates me
really

United States

#78 Jul 24, 2012
And just who might this be? And dont chicken out and say you dont want to mention names because if you know this for a fact you should say who it is.
concerned

Anna, IL

#79 Jul 25, 2012
really wrote:
And just who might this be? And dont chicken out and say you dont want to mention names because if you know this for a fact you should say who it is.
I won't say who it is on here on such a delicate topic. The people on here won't admit to anythin and will try to make me look stupid. But I do know it for a fact because I have seen it with my own eyes.
Concern

Pleasant Hope, MO

#80 Jul 25, 2012
Don't confuse Cocern with concrned. Concerned this is something that should be brought to that employees superiors. There is no place for that behavior in the workplace. This person sounds as if they need help!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
un-qualified Hughey treasurer 26 min hide yo money 116
Union Co and Shawnee College boards 3 hr hmm 4
Alyssa Randolph 3 hr hmm 4
Worthless Mothers list 3 hr hmm 8
vote democrat 14 hr Juiced Kant 10
Tami Adkins trash to the core 20 hr Doit56 4
Shawnee college - is she qualified Tue The fat lady 28

Anna Jobs

Personal Finance

Anna Mortgages