Anna Pelley Gravesite/teen rite of pa...

Anna Pelley Gravesite/teen rite of passage

Posted in the Anna Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious Carl

United States

#1 Jan 21, 2012
I grew up hearing about a teen rite of passage at the Anna Pelley grave site. Does anybody know anything about it? Does it still take place? Are teens still paying respects to the memory of Anna Pelley's rape and murder at her grave site? Who participates? Any other specifics you can share?
Outsider

United States

#2 Jan 21, 2012
Curious Carl wrote:
I grew up hearing about a teen rite of passage at the Anna Pelley grave site. Does anybody know anything about it? Does it still take place? Are teens still paying respects to the memory of Anna Pelley's rape and murder at her grave site? Who participates? Any other specifics you can share?
Not to be insensitive, I love stories like this. Please tell me more. Who was Anna Pelly and why do(or did) teens pay their respects?
anon

United States

#3 Jan 21, 2012
She was the young girl who was brutally raped and killed by a black man in Anna. From what I was told, the black man was tied to a rope and drug behind a vehicle and killed.
Curious

Herrin, IL

#4 Jan 21, 2012
I was curious about this topic, so I looked it up. The following link is information I found on it. It was very sad to read.

http://genealogytrails.com/ill/alexander/pell...

I do know the grave you are talking about. It is the most beautiful well sculpted stone I have ever seen. I do not know of the "right of passage" you are referring to though. I spent many hours in the Anna Cemetary as a teenager. I did not disrespect any of the graves though, just so no one gets all upset. Pure respect for all who lay to rest there. That gravestone was always the one that I was drawn too. I do have a number of family and friends who are laid to rest there. It is just amazing piece of art.
brad

Marion, IL

#5 Jan 21, 2012
anon wrote:
She was the young girl who was brutally raped and killed by a black man in Anna. From what I was told, the black man was tied to a rope and drug behind a vehicle and killed.
the killing took place inCairo, not Anna. Anna pelley and her family were from Anna, though. The man was lynched, but not tied behind a vehicle. This was in 1908 after alla. He was hanged, but the rope broke. People opened fire on him and killed him. Then they hung a black accomplice and were finally stopped by the illinois national guard before theycould kill a third man.
After that, everyone returned to Anna and began torunall of the blacks out of town. Anna became a sundown town after that and was all white until recently. Learn your history. Annais famous for this incident. It is one of the most important events in the history of american civil rights.
Anna's grave is at the anna cemetary. It's the big stone with the girl kneeling before a cross and crying.
Curious

Herrin, IL

#6 Jan 21, 2012
I do not understand why some one would say that "Brads" comment was nuts or disagree with it. I posted the link above his. The person was lynched, the rope did break and he was shot. It is all in the link. Maybe whoever disagrees with him should read the the link. The link does not mention anything about sundown town, but I am sure if you look it up, you will get your answer that way. Take time to read people.
Hay

United States

#7 Jan 22, 2012
Brad you are mostly correct but the man was drug through town before he was hanged. Ill post a link when I find it.
Hay

United States

#8 Jan 22, 2012
german indian

Carbondale, IL

#9 Jan 22, 2012
this is one of the first stories about anna i heard when i moved here i asked why when the sun was setting ud see all the black basicaly running to their cars and my gma told me anna's story i and alot of my friends when we were teenagers would go sit w her it felt comforting there especialy when life got to be too to much to handle i would go sit w her n oddly enough while i sat there crying n lost some how she found a way to help me.ive never heard of the rite of passage thing maybe its a new thing but i know most teenagers if they havent heard her story before are taken there and told about her death she just so peaceful
what

United States

#10 Jan 26, 2012
what is this right of passage? I have lived here my whole life and have no idea what you are talking about.
bubbles

Little Rock, AR

#11 Jan 26, 2012
Curious wrote:
I do not understand why some one would say that "Brads" comment was nuts or disagree with it. I posted the link above his. The person was lynched, the rope did break and he was shot. It is all in the link. Maybe whoever disagrees with him should read the the link. The link does not mention anything about sundown town, but I am sure if you look it up, you will get your answer that way. Take time to read people.
your right about most of it except the man they hung after him was a white man in the jail and did u know the shariff of anna tried to run with him so that he could get a fair trial and they chased him down
Lol

United States

#12 Jan 26, 2012
The teens get it on at the gravesite. Sick but true.
what

Enfield, CT

#13 Jan 26, 2012
that is horriible. You would have to be half demon to do that.
Always ask WHY

Ellis Grove, IL

#14 Jan 27, 2012
This is AWESOME history and more than likely it will be covered up or changed to be more politically correct after all history is written by the victorious and Obama and his trash are in control now.Soon you will hear how the poor black man was framed by the evil white people of the town and then was "lynched". You will no long hear about the white man that was kill with him. "lynching" was an accepted form of vigilante justice in that era which resulted in murders of ALL races of people, NOT just blacks. During WW 1 a German was lynched in Alton IL because he was of German descent. But you seldom hear about these acts because they where carried out against white people. Lynching was also done by blacks to other black. Also there is the cover up of the fact that many of these lynching victims where actually guilty. White people of that time are portrayed as vicious animals who periodically go on killing rampages against blacks when in actuality they where responding to heinous crimes perpetrated on their community.
So if you read or hear something about history it is important to ask "why" and look a little deeper to truly understand why things happened the way they did.
what

United States

#16 Jan 27, 2012
oh yeah, that's the way the story has been told all my life, and I am well over the age of 4.
Outsider

United States

#17 Jan 27, 2012
Thank you all for answering my question. The story really sheds a lot of light on how sundown towns came to be. Sometimes I think vigilante justice is by far more effective. The only danger, it seems, is the way the killing frenzy spreads. But still, it beats the way killers are coddled today.
no deal

Murphysboro, IL

#18 Feb 9, 2012
anna = Aint No Niccas Allowed < anna
asked a friend

United States

#19 Feb 9, 2012
Okay so I read about this and I asked some friends who live in Anna, they told me Anna pelley died from drowning, but was pulled from the water by a black man who began mouth to mouth, before any questions were asked. He was accused of rape and murder, and hung.
A w E

United States

#20 Feb 16, 2012
As a lifelong resident of this area, it breaks my heart to read this. My Dad hates black ppl, my mom loved people no matter their color and taught me that. I taught my children not to hate bc of color. I hoped they wouldn't marry out of their race bc their children would suffer. They did not marry out of their race...
That being said, we will never know if the young men were guilty of this crime because there was no fair trial. Maybe he did it, maybe not. It's very possible that he didn't because he may have been forced to admit to it. We were not there.
I myself was walking he from a ballgame one night at school when a huge group of black boys tried to rape me. A car pulled up and they all ran. Thank The Lord.
If they had accomplished what they set out to do I would have been devastated and would have wanted the true perps in jail. I would want evidence that they did it. Someone may have gotten away with doing this to the girl if the didn't do it and it might have been whites or Mexicans or Indian. Wow! Vigilante justice is great if u know for a fact a person is guilty. It's not the color of ones skin thatmakes them guilty. Grow up Anna!
Outsider

United States

#21 Feb 16, 2012
A w E wrote:
As a lifelong resident of this area, it breaks my heart to read this. My Dad hates black ppl, my mom loved people no matter their color and taught me that. I taught my children not to hate bc of color. I hoped they wouldn't marry out of their race bc their children would suffer. They did not marry out of their race...
That being said, we will never know if the young men were guilty of this crime because there was no fair trial. Maybe he did it, maybe not. It's very possible that he didn't because he may have been forced to admit to it. We were not there.
I myself was walking he from a ballgame one night at school when a huge group of black boys tried to rape me. A car pulled up and they all ran. Thank The Lord.

If they had accomplished what they set out to do I would have been devastated and would have wanted the true perps in jail. I would want evidence that they did it. Someone may have gotten away with doing this to the girl if the didn't do it and it might have been whites or Mexicans or Indian. Wow! Vigilante justice is great if u know for a fact a person is guilty. It's not the color of ones skin thatmakes them guilty. Grow up Anna!

Please re read my comment. I said nothing about vigilanty justice specifically against blacks. That was a generalization.

Although I did not, and will not, talk about my opinion of the sundown mentality; it is a piece of history that should not be ignored. We either chose to decide actions were bad or good by examining events; or we force our ill informed opinions.

Before you jump in and offer up your personal life story make sure you understand what you are responding to. Ill informed, gun jumping people are, however, exactly the type of people that became vigilanties.

READ, HONEY , READ SLOWLY AND UNDERSTAND.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dalton Myers 34 min Haha 3
Top 5 best Aj Football Players Ever? 5 hr not greatness 13
Carlie joanna inman johnson 11 hr Pool nights 8
Steven Johnson 14 hr Katie 2
chassidy johnson 14 hr Jess 3
city of anna. 17 hr Not_A_Troll 5
HIV aids on the rise Wed Be aware 4

Anna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance