Former prosecutor is charged with DWI

Sep 13, 2008 Full story: Buffalo News 14

A former county prosecutor being considered as a possible candidate for a judgeship has been arrested on a charge of misdemeanor aggravated driving while intoxicated, authorities confirmed Friday.

Full Story
Bad_Azz

Buffalo, NY

#1 Sep 15, 2008

Had been considered as judge candidate

By Patrick Lakamp and Gene Warner NEWS STAFF REPORTERS
Updated: 09/13/08 7:09 AM

A former county prosecutor being considered as a possible candidate for a judgeship has been arrested on a charge of misdemeanor aggravated driving while intoxicated, authorities confirmed Friday.

Town of Hamburg police charged Anne E. Adams, 46, of Angola, after stopping her on Route 5 near the Ford plant the evening of Sept. 2. Police reports state that Adams registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent, more than twice the legal limit.

Following her arrest, Adams told police she had had three or four drinks.

The police report states that Adams failed all four roadside sobriety tests she was given, such as standing on one leg for more than a few seconds.

Officer Vincent Pupo III pulled her vehicle over at about 7:45 p. m. that night when he saw her Ford Thunderbird convertible weaving from lane to lane, nearly striking a guard rail, according to Town of Hamburg police reports. She was also charged with making an unsafe lane change.

Advocates for strong drunken-driving penalties are watching the Adams case closely, to make sure that the former prosecutor’s case is not handled any differently from other cases.

“MADD [Mothers Against Drunk Driving] will be carefully following this case, and we expect all parties accused of driving while intoxicated will be treated equally, and we’ll carefully follow the case to make sure this happens,” said Elizabeth A. Obad, president of MADD’s Erie County chapter.

Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark vowed that this case would be treated like any other aggravated DWI case.

“We get DWIs involving doctors, lawyers, politicians and business people every day,” Clark said.“This is nothing out of the ordinary. It will be treated according to our established guidelines.”

The district attorney’s guidelines say that for anyone registering a blood-alcohol level or 0.21 or above, no plea deal is available.

“If you are .18,.19 or .20, we will allow you to plead guilty to driving while intoxicated,” Clark said.“So in this case, we would allow a plea to a regular DWI instead of aggravated DWI, because there was no accident and she has no priors.”

Adams’ arraignment was adjourned from Sept. 5 to 10 a. m. Thursday in Hamburg Town Court. Several law-enforcement officials said that such an adjournment is not unusual.

Her attorney, Leonard E. Krawczyk Jr., former chief of the Erie County district attorney’s DWI Bureau, said he has brought a motion to dismiss the case, in the interests of justice, based on evidence that he believes would clear her.

Sources in the legal community say that Adams, whose name was mentioned last spring as a possible GOP candidate for district attorney, also has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the upcoming State Supreme Court judgeship that had been held by Amy Jo Fricano and will be filled in the November election.
United States

#2 Sep 16, 2008
Bad_Azz wrote:
Had been considered as judge candidate
By Patrick Lakamp and Gene Warner NEWS STAFF REPORTERS
Updated: 09/13/08 7:09 AM
Town of Hamburg police charged Anne E. Adams, 46, of Angola, after stopping her on Route 5 near the Ford plant the evening of Sept. 2. Police reports state that Adams registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent, more than twice the legal limit.
Following her arrest, Adams told police she had had three or four drinks.
The police report states that Adams failed all four roadside sobriety tests she was given, such as standing on one leg for more than a few seconds.
Officer Vincent Pupo III pulled her vehicle over at about 7:45 p. m. that night when he saw her Ford Thunderbird convertible weaving from lane to lane, nearly striking a guard rail, according to Town of Hamburg police reports. She was also charged with making an unsafe lane change.
Advocates for strong drunken-driving penalties are watching the Adams case closely, to make sure that the former prosecutor’s case is not handled any differently from other cases.
“MADD [Mothers Against Drunk Driving] will be carefully following this case, and we expect all parties accused of driving while intoxicated will be treated equally, and we’ll carefully follow the case to make sure this happens,” said Elizabeth A. Obad, president of MADD’s Erie County chapter.
Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark vowed that this case would be treated like any other aggravated DWI case.
“We get DWIs involving doctors, lawyers, politicians and business people every day,” Clark said.“This is nothing out of the ordinary. It will be treated according to our established guidelines.”
The district attorney’s guidelines say that for anyone registering a blood-alcohol level or 0.21 or above, no plea deal is available.
“If you are .18,.19 or .20, we will allow you to plead guilty to driving while intoxicated,” Clark said.“So in this case, we would allow a plea to a regular DWI instead of aggravated DWI, because there was no accident and she has no priors.”
Adams’ arraignment was adjourned from Sept. 5 to 10 a. m. Thursday in Hamburg Town Court. Several law-enforcement officials said that such an adjournment is not unusual.
Her attorney, Leonard E. Krawczyk Jr., former chief of the Erie County district attorney’s DWI Bureau, said he has brought a motion to dismiss the case, in the interests of justice, based on evidence that he believes would clear her.
Sources in the legal community say that Adams, whose name was mentioned last spring as a possible GOP candidate for district attorney, also has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the upcoming State Supreme Court judgeship that had been held by Amy Jo Fricano and will be filled in the November election.
Karma works alone and catches up with everyone! MADD watch this one closely.
Bad_Azz

Buffalo, NY

#3 Sep 18, 2008
Judge, police official and doctor back DWI defendant

By Gene Warner and Patrick Lakamp NEWS STAFF REPORTERS
Updated: 09/18/08 8:22 AM

Anne E. Adams is to appear in court today.

The drunken-driving case against former prosecutor Anne E. Adams has raised eyebrows in the legal community, after a State Supreme Court justice, a police lieutenant and a doctor all have filed legal papers supporting her claims that she wasn’t drunk that night.

Adams, 46, of Angola, who has been mentioned recently as a possible judicial candidate, was arrested on the aggravated DWI charge Sept. 2 in the Town of Hamburg. She is scheduled to be arraigned in town court this morning.

Police reports state that Adams’ blood-alcohol level was 0.19 percent, more than twice the legal limit, after she failed several roadside sobriety tests.

But State Supreme Court Justice Joseph G. Makowski, who was with her roughly an hour before her arrest that evening, has filed an affidavit as a witness in the case.

Four sources in Buffalo’s legal community say it is unusual for a judge to file written information in another judge’s case, and it’s unusual that the affidavits were filed before Adams has been arraigned.

While unusual, these steps aren’t necessarily improper, the sources added.

It’s more common for witnesses to make statements after police contact them and ask them what happened in a case.

Several sources close to the case claim that Makowski, in his affidavit, said Adams consumed two glasses of white wine that evening.

“He’s not filing the affidavit as a judge,” one law enforcement source said.“He’s filing it as a witness who claims to have information.”

Another source said Makowski’s affidavit corroborated the statement of a Shanghai Red’s bartender who claimed he served Adams two glasses of white wine and a glass of water that evening.

Makowski declined to comment.

Buffalo police Lt. Karen Healy also signed an affidavit. Sources say Adams called her after the arrest, and the lieutenant advised her to to go to a hospital emergency room to get a blood draw.

Healy could not be reached to comment.

The third affidavit was signed by a doctor, who claimed that Adams registered only a 0.01 percent blood-alcohol reading. It’s not clear when that blood was drawn and when it was tested.

Adams’ attorney, Leonard E. Krawczyk Jr., former chief of the Erie County district attorney’s DWI Bureau, already has brought a motion to dismiss the case, in the interests of justice, even before her arraignment.

At Adams’ scheduled arraignment today in Town of Hamburg Court, prosecutors are expected to oppose that motion to dismiss.

Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark has said that his office does not accept plea deals for anyone registering a blood-alcohol content of 0.21 or higher. However, those, like Adams, who have a reading of 0.18, 0.19 or 0.20 percent, may plead down from aggravated DWI to regular DWI, in most cases.

Clark refused to say whether Makowski or any other official called him about the case. But he insisted that no one has asked for special treatment.

“I’ve gotten no telephone calls from any individual asking for or seeking any special disposition in this case,” Clark said.

Officials with MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) have vowed to follow this case closely to make sure everyone charged with DWI is treated equally.

Also, state troopers have begun an inquiry into anonymous tips that a State Police investigator tried to influence the outcome of the case.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/4...
Damage Control

United States

#4 Sep 18, 2008
This attorney has obviously began her "Damage Control" and PR Campaign to repair her reputation. People don't fall for it! Hold her accountable just like anyone else who drives drunk. She is so selfish ----- she is dragging the Judges name, The Lews name and the Doc's name through the MUD with her's. All to save her fat ass! I hope the DA's office tells her to take a hike and that the ECBA throws the book at her to the fullest extent.
Noraml_Society_ 0_19

Hamburg, NY

#5 Sep 18, 2008
Are you joking me? Is this serious? I can not understand this. She is totaly full of it. Two glasses of "white wine" and she fails all test. I am so thankfull that there are still good police officers like Pupo. I think they should toss her in jail the state investigator and the suprem court justice. Oh yeah and give the gulable bartender some community service cleaning up the construction on Buffalo St.
P.S. If she was not guilty why is she going through all the trouble to clear her name. Must have something to hide.
Jill

United States

#6 Sep 19, 2008
Why is everyone taking the cops side? Anne is a honest person who wouldn't put herself or anyone else in jepordy. There are law enforcement people that are indeed dishonest, I've come across a couple myself. Anne is defending herself just like anyone else would if they were pulled over and charged. The truth will prevail it always does. If people want to talk about Anne they should take a look at themselves first.
Stood up to Anne and Won

United States

#7 Sep 19, 2008
Jill wrote:
Why is everyone taking the cops side? Anne is a honest person who wouldn't put herself or anyone else in jepordy. There are law enforcement people that are indeed dishonest, I've come across a couple myself. Anne is defending herself just like anyone else would if they were pulled over and charged. The truth will prevail it always does. If people want to talk about Anne they should take a look at themselves first.
Jill ---- I am not taking the COPS side. I speak from my expereince with Anne as a person who I once considered a friend and also as a prior client. I also have seen Anne lie to get herself out of trouble and think it is despicable that she is taking down a Supreme Court Judge, A Police Lt. and a Doctor with her. She is going to great lengths to avoid taking responsibility. Todays strict DWI laws make it impossible for any average person to fight the accuratness of a breathalizer and convict on law enforcement testimony only. why should she be different. She is doign an injustice to the legal system. so now every Tom, Dick and Harry who gets caught drunk driving is going to say that they had gum in thier mouth or get affidavits from people they were with to say they only had two drinks. If this case sets presendence she will be responsible for seveal drunk drivers on the roads. What do you say to the many people in this world that have lost a loved one from a drunk driver or to the paralyzed man or women who spends the rest of thier lives in a wheelchair because of a drunk driver? Stop defending her. She failed all field sobriety tests and blew a .19. It is what it is! Don't support this circus.
Stood up to Anne and Won

United States

#8 Sep 19, 2008
Also I should add that she admitted to having three or four drinks to the arresting officers and now her story is she had two glasses of wine and a glass of water. Again, in true form . . . the story changes as it goes on . . .
Speak Up WNY

United States

#9 Sep 20, 2008
Post from Speak Up WNY

How fitting that she was considered a replacement for Lockport Judge Amy Jo Fricano. This may derail those November ballot plans.

The local fishwrap once touted this woman as the second coming of Christ in their Sunday News magazine, comparing her in looks and ability to the Superwoman comic book character.

She's donated to some high-level Republicans, let's see if they can make a few calls and make this whole thing go away...
----------
Contributions:

ADAMS, ANNE E. MS
SELF-EMPLOYED/ATTORNEY AT LAW
598 SEYMOUR TER
ANGOLA, NY 14006

1.)$360 09/05/2006
K T MCFARLAND FOR SENATE - Republican

2.)$500 08/11/2006
REYNOLDS FOR CONGRESS - Republican

3.)$1,000 05/15/2006

4.)$500 03/20/2006

Photo
Ford T-Bird convertible
(for reference only, not actual car that was used in the crime)
Donna

AOL

#10 Sep 20, 2008
Noraml_Society_ 0_19 wrote:
Are you joking me? Is this serious? I can not understand this. She is totaly full of it. Two glasses of "white wine" and she fails all test. I am so thankfull that there are still good police officers like Pupo. I think they should toss her in jail the state investigator and the suprem court justice. Oh yeah and give the gulable bartender some community service cleaning up the construction on Buffalo St.
P.S. If she was not guilty why is she going through all the trouble to clear her name. Must have something to hide.
Your P.S. makes no sense. Any NORMAL person would defend themself if they were not guilty. Why would you take the rap for something you did not do? Let's wait until all the facts are in at court, and then Anne Adams will be determined guilty or innocent. You need to slow down, and apply common sense. You definitely would not be a good jury candidate...you jump to conclusions without weighing the facts from BOTH sides.
concerned citizen

AOL

#11 Sep 23, 2008
Did she pay you to write this absurd defense?
Jill wrote:
average taxpayer

AOL

#12 Sep 25, 2008
Here is what I notice in this case: How many people absolutely despise this woman. And how many seem happy that she finally got caught red handed. It must have been quite a sight seeing her try to stand on one leg, and failing, along the highway during her sobriety test. Not a very pretty picture. Was she wearing her tight Toreadore costume that she used to wear in court?
Jill wrote:
What a WASTE

United States

#13 Sep 25, 2008
average taxpayer wrote:
Here is what I notice in this case: How many people absolutely despise this woman. And how many seem happy that she finally got caught red handed. It must have been quite a sight seeing her try to stand on one leg, and failing, along the highway during her sobriety test. Not a very pretty picture. Was she wearing her tight Toreadore costume that she used to wear in court? <quoted text>
LOL ---- I don't know why people who are overweight insist on wearing tight clothes ... also one would think that an officer of the court would dress much more conservative ....

More on topic .... many people do despise her and the word Karma has come up several times on various blogs regarding this arrest ... I think that is very telling ...
Anonymous

Petersburg, VA

#14 Mar 27, 2012
Jill wrote:

Maybe you need a drink! That's right, look at yourself. Why do you want this "mouthpiece to go free?' So she will keep her license to practice. You seem to be a dim watt bulb here. She needs to stand right in front of the judge and he needs to do the right thing. The cop did the right thing when he pulled her over. I have been pulled over before and the cop seen I was going to work and was polite and nice and even helpful to me. They got a tough enough job without some boozing bitch that thinks she is above the law. I hope they pull her license to practice. What if a Nurse got a DUI? Would they be allowed to practice? Or a Doctor? I hope the judge does the right thing with this mouthpiece>>>>>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Angola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next up for Roy Rogers site: White Castle? (Dec '10) 13 hr Socwkmom 320
Cops: Mastic, Shirley safer after crackdown - (Nov '07) Sun ashley 208
Popeyes Chicken Coming to Shirley (Jan '11) Sun Really Brady 12
Why are Italian men so short? (Jul '11) Oct 16 Too funny 46
Suspect named in Gilgo Beach murders (Dec '12) Oct 14 Streetrunner 12
How much would you pay for a spacious 3 BR Co-O... Oct 14 Thomas Lambert 0
Affair Oct 6 henu 21
Angola Dating
Find my Match

Angola Jobs