Dibble's Same-Sex Marriage Bill Passes

May 13, 2013 Full story: Patch.com 8

After similar measures failed in past sessions, Sen. Scott Dibble's same-sex marriage bill was passed by the Senate in a 37-30 vote Monday afternoon.

Full Story
the voters will speak

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 14, 2013
Make sure we support the 4 democrats that voted NO, and make sure you vote against the ONE republican, from Andover that voted YES for the sin of #$% marriage.
jeff

Saint Paul, MN

#2 May 14, 2013
the voters will speak wrote:
Make sure we support the 4 democrats that voted NO, and make sure you vote against the ONE republican, from Andover that voted YES for the sin of #$% marriage.
Agree. Brandon Peterson from Andover will not get my vote when he's up for re election.
DaBroad

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 14, 2013
As an Anoka resident, I let my representatives know that I wanted them to vote YES. And I am thrilled that we have separated the legal from the spiritual. Let churches marry - or not - whatever they want. If a church wants to marry a warthog to a rutabega, let 'em. If a church doesn't want to officiate for a same sex couple, that's their business. But there is no reason for two unrelated consenting adults to join in a legal partnership. Call it whatever you want. I know plenty of opposite sex "marriages" that are pretty ridiculous, and plenty of same sex partnerships that are strong, happy, respectful and long-lasting. I will gladly vote for anyone who voted for the law, and kick the "no's" out of office. And I'm not the only one - there's more of us than you'd like to believe. Haven't you figured it out yet?
jeff

United States

#4 May 15, 2013
DaBroad wrote:
As an Anoka resident, I let my representatives know that I wanted them to vote YES. And I am thrilled that we have separated the legal from the spiritual. Let churches marry - or not - whatever they want. If a church wants to marry a warthog to a rutabega, let 'em. If a church doesn't want to officiate for a same sex couple, that's their business. But there is no reason for two unrelated consenting adults to join in a legal partnership. Call it whatever you want. I know plenty of opposite sex "marriages" that are pretty ridiculous, and plenty of same sex partnerships that are strong, happy, respectful and long-lasting. I will gladly vote for anyone who voted for the law, and kick the "no's" out of office. And I'm not the only one - there's more of us than you'd like to believe. Haven't you figured it out yet?
At the most maybe 10% of the population is gay. That means 90% are not. The voters of Minnesota voted against it as well as most of the states in the union. Only due to are leftist Governor, senators and representatives did this pass. We'll see who keeps their jobs come the next election. I love how you like to slam religion with your silly analogy. I bet your parents were married in a church. I also live in the area and I presume you you tend to keep your opinions to yourself because a lot more of Anoka county thinks like me than you.
DaBroad

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 15, 2013
No, sugar, I'm pretty vocal about it. So is my husband.
What "slam"? There are some pretty weird religions out there.
I am legally married in a opposite-sex relationship, and we never had any sort of religious ceremony. The demographics are changing, rapidly, too. I know more young people who are in the "liberal" camp. Our youth are becoming more educated, being exposed to people who are different, who don't all live in the same small 6 block area that they have lived in all their lives. They know people that attend houses of worship that are not one of the 4 or 5 that have been in town for the past 60 years. People are more mobile, moving around the country, around the world. Remaining ignorant and isolated is no solution to the problems of getting along with people who are not like us.
"Diversity" isn't a dirty word. It doesn't mean you need to adopt everything that's different and new. It just means that you need to adopt a live and let live attitude.
Really, what harm is it going to do to allow same sex couples to marry? None. I have yet to see any argument that doesn't have to do with personal reliigous choice (btw, religion is a choice. Sexual preference is inborn. Or do you make a conscious choice to be "not gay"?).
I am not Christian of any flavor. I am not Atheist. I am not Jewish, or Muslim. What I am is none of your damned business, and that's the way it should be for everyone. Spiritual belief is deeply personal, and wearing your religion as some sort of badge is a sign of something else, not a sign of any sort of faith. Pride? Self-justification? The desperate need to fit in? To be just like everyone else?
You just think that there's more in Anoka county that think like you, because that's all you see. Open your eyes, we might not wear our Gods on our sleeves, or feel the need to parade it around, but we are everywhere.
Boo. Made you look.
DaBroad

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 15, 2013
By the way, I've seen a few couples in Anoka that closely resembled warthogs and rutebegas. At least those are real things. What exactly is a "#$%"? I don't think I've ever met a "#$%". What is a "#$% marriage"?
jeff

Champlin, MN

#7 May 16, 2013
DaBroad wrote:
By the way, I've seen a few couples in Anoka that closely resembled warthogs and rutebegas. At least those are real things. What exactly is a "#$%"? I don't think I've ever met a "#$%". What is a "#$% marriage"?
Wow. Take a breath. Your really just a hypocrite, with your "live and let live" statement. But all you do is try to push your agenda down others throats. It's people like you in your pursuit to "diversify" that are constantly pissing and moaning about how traditional people like me need to accept you. Blah blah blah. Typical Lib. Yet you don't use your name on your post. And trust me me I don't live all my life in the same 6 block area as you refer. Nor do I wear a religious badge on my sleeve. Seriously you list Minneapolis as your city....Why don't you move back there. Go hop on the light rail and head South. And you say boo. I say Boom.
PS. I'm sure you'll repost shortly because once again your a typical Lib and that's what you do.
DaBroad

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 16, 2013
Sugar, you were posting in Minneapolis, too. And you aren't using your full name either. It just happens to be where I am right now. No "agenda pushing" - that's a Republican tactic. Everyone must be exactly like them or keep their mouths shut. Also resorting to personal attacks and name-calling - that seems to be an Anoka Republican tactic. And intimidation - I've run into that, too. Your comment, "I presume you you tend to keep your opinions to yourself because a lot more of Anoka county thinks like me than you," is the sort of veiled threat that I speak of. The implication: if I was to speak my opinion, I might get ganged up on by people like you, maybe physically assaulted.
And I notice you've been replying to me as well - does that make you a "lib" too?
What does "Boom" mean? Another veiled threat? I know several very liberal "Jeffs" in the Anoka area. Are you one of them, playing the bully?
Really, what effect is same sex marriage going to have on your life? You being forced to marry a dude? No. There's lots of straight couples that live together, but they have the *option* of getting a legal contract that offers certain protections. Gay and lesbian couples that live together, exactly like straight couples, should have the same option. It's not forcing anything down your throat.
See, you aren't addressing the issue, just resorting to attacks. Exactly how is extending legal protections to same sex couples interfering with your life? Live and let live is not hypocritical - I'm not trying to change your marriage, convert you to any other religion, alter your personal choices at all. I just think that everyone should have the option to live the life that is right for them. If you are a heterosexual Christian, fine. Be happy with yourself. If another person is a gay Buddhist, should that person not be able to live his life with the same rights and privileges that you enjoy? Pursuit of happiness does not mean pursuit of only what the majority decrees is happiness.
I don't wear my beliefs on my sleeve either, but I will happily engage with others if I am asked, or if I hear or see something that is blatantly ignorant.
You didn't answer any of my questions earlier, and I do not expect any answers out of you this time. I suspect you will rant on again about "libs" (would you like me to refer to you as a "con"?) and rattle your sabre. I'm just explaining my position, and still have not heard any reasonable arguments against ssm. Since you haven't offered one either, I gather you don't have anything that is not either religious or that you don't like gay people. Well?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City of ham Lake Mar 2 ham Laker newspaper 1
Man charged with five felonies (Oct '07) Feb 27 Blue Collar 69
Review: HAO Massage Feb 15 Eric 1
Worked with Bill Mccann - Ham Lake (Feb '08) Feb 14 Mr cash only 48
A coroner of compassion: The Anoka County medic... (Mar '08) Feb 12 nvrmnd 15
IPM & Joe Cole (Apr '08) Feb 9 ponzi 71
Anoka Man Shot 7 Times, Suspect Arrested; Both ... (Nov '12) Feb 9 richardnoggin 10
Andover Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Andover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:58 am PST

Bleacher Report 9:58AM
Bills Acquire QB Matt Cassel from Vikings
Yahoo! Sports 9:59 AM