Doors close on Tewksbury detox facility

Full story: Lowell Sun 202
The region's only in-patient detoxification facility will close its doors today, after last-ditch efforts to keep the facility open into the new year failed. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
snow

Burlington, MA

#1 Dec 29, 2010
It should stay closed...If the clients are coming from Lowell then open up a detox facility there and keep them away from tewksbury
Underdog Player

Malden, MA

#2 Dec 29, 2010
Alcohol abuse and drug abuse are not diseases, they are choices.Calling it a disease is an insult to people who suffer from real diseases like Cancer, Diabetes, Leukemia etc. etc.

If these people want help tell them don't drink or do drugs, it is their choice.
Seems like old times

Tyngsboro, MA

#3 Dec 29, 2010
How can anyone not know at this time, that we must treat this illness. Is this 1920? Have you people been living under a rock??
We all benefit from facing facts, not calling names...
Mike J

Sebring, FL

#4 Dec 29, 2010
Underdog Player wrote:
Alcohol abuse and drug abuse are not diseases, they are choices.Calling it a disease is an insult to people who suffer from real diseases like Cancer, Diabetes, Leukemia etc. etc.
If these people want help tell them don't drink or do drugs, it is their choice.
You've just proven what a moron you are. The American Medical Association classifies addiction as a disease. Now these people have no where to go so guess what might happen. Of course your probably happy fifty people may lose their jobs as well. Waiting until next year is to late. These people need help now.
By the way I'm one of "those" people and if it wasn't for a detox and treatment center I'd probably be dead. I now own my own home down here and continue to help others for free for what was given to me for free.
TIM

Tyngsboro, MA

#5 Dec 29, 2010
I truly believe addiction is a weakness not a disease contrary to what the A.M.A. might say stop using this as your crutch in life it doesnt take much to be a junkie,however it takes alot to get up and go to work everyday and being that my tax money pays for those junkies to get theyre legal fix i am so happy they are shutting the doors. Unfortunately you cannot party your way through life sometimes you have to grow up
Jason Stackhouse

West Newton, MA

#6 Dec 29, 2010
TIM wrote:
I truly believe addiction is a weakness not a disease contrary to what the A.M.A. might say stop using this as your crutch in life it doesnt take much to be a junkie,however it takes alot to get up and go to work everyday and being that my tax money pays for those junkies to get theyre legal fix i am so happy they are shutting the doors. Unfortunately you cannot party your way through life sometimes you have to grow up
Great observation TIM. I think the New England Patriots scored more points last week then what your IQ is. Should we classify addiction as a weakness per you, TIM? Forget MD's, they have no clue what they are talking about, right, TIM? It is people like you who keep the USA's progression with addiction treatment 10-20 years behind, say, Europe. Put the junkies in prison, right? So they can get out and do the same thing as when they went in?

You are a REVOLUTIONARY TIM!!
Shamsmum

Dracut, MA

#7 Dec 29, 2010
TIM wrote:
You have no idea what you are talking about! Have obviously never dealt firsthand with a friend or loved one with this problem.They are not "partying" their way through life, when drugs and/or alcohol begin to control your life you are not in a good and happy place in your life. The Detox did not give people "a legal fix" that would be a methadone clinic, they just help people DETOX or get the drugs and alcohol out of their systems without suffering potentially dangerous seizures or DTs , then offer them help to find further REHAB or Sober Living situations to help them with their sobriety.
Underdog Player

Malden, MA

#8 Dec 29, 2010
Mike J wrote:
<quoted text>
You've just proven what a moron you are. The American Medical Association classifies addiction as a disease. Now these people have no where to go so guess what might happen. Of course your probably happy fifty people may lose their jobs as well. Waiting until next year is to late. These people need help now.
By the way I'm one of "those" people and if it wasn't for a detox and treatment center I'd probably be dead. I now own my own home down here and continue to help others for free for what was given to me for free.
I don't care what the A.M.A. says. They have a long history of political and financial controversies. What they do and don't classify depends on what they can gain from it.

I'll say it again, drinking and drugging is a choice, not a disease.
Mike J

Sebring, FL

#9 Dec 29, 2010
Underdog Player wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what the A.M.A. says. They have a long history of political and financial controversies. What they do and don't classify depends on what they can gain from it.
I'll say it again, drinking and drugging is a choice, not a disease.
Which continues to prove your an idiot. Remember, but by the grace of God there go I. Or do you not believe in Him either.
really

Buzzards Bay, MA

#10 Dec 29, 2010
The patients are coming from the Lowell HOSPITALS idiot! They are from all over Greater Lowell and enter the system through the HOSPITALS. The patients are not all from Lowell itself you jacka$$, bet there were even a few from beautiful metropolitan Tewksbury!
snow wrote:
It should stay closed...If the clients are coming from Lowell then open up a detox facility there and keep them away from tewksbury
Dr Bob

Braintree, MA

#11 Dec 29, 2010
The level of the commentary on the nature of addiction notwithstanding, this sudden closing is a significant new problem for hundreds/thousands of people and families wrestling with addiction in our area.
Maybe some of the writers above should go see "the Fighter" again, or even "High on Crack Street" to be reminded of the cost to all of us when there is no treatment for this problem.
That the "Health" Center chose to shut down this resource is a disgrace. That there is no immediate replacement, let alone an upgrade, is an insult to everyone, addicted or clean, in Lowell and tewksbury and everywhere in our area. We should all march on the StateHouse demanding that they create a replacement as soon as possible. This care IS insured for a reason. We deserve to have a place that can help these people. It IS worth the effort. We will all pay much more, in very real costs, until a genuine provider re-opens a capable facility.
Like Micky Ward in "The Fighter" we've taken enough blows: now its time to fight back.
Underdog Player

Malden, MA

#12 Dec 29, 2010
Dr Bob wrote:
The level of the commentary on the nature of addiction notwithstanding, this sudden closing is a significant new problem for hundreds/thousands of people and families wrestling with addiction in our area.
Maybe some of the writers above should go see "the Fighter" again, or even "High on Crack Street" to be reminded of the cost to all of us when there is no treatment for this problem.
That the "Health" Center chose to shut down this resource is a disgrace. That there is no immediate replacement, let alone an upgrade, is an insult to everyone, addicted or clean, in Lowell and tewksbury and everywhere in our area. We should all march on the StateHouse demanding that they create a replacement as soon as possible. This care IS insured for a reason. We deserve to have a place that can help these people. It IS worth the effort. We will all pay much more, in very real costs, until a genuine provider re-opens a capable facility.
Like Micky Ward in "The Fighter" we've taken enough blows: now its time to fight back.
In High on Crack Street Brenda was in a rehab getting help, and she CHOSE to leave and do drugs again.Boo Boo was clean for a while also, and made a CHOICE to start doing drugs again.

These people all have one thing in common, it's all about them. Me me me, I I I.
Red Ted Kennedy

Tyngsboro, MA

#13 Dec 29, 2010
I never cared much detox's, although I met a lot of great people there with similar interests!
AND

AOL

#14 Dec 29, 2010
Too frigin bad!!! Boo Hoo they are closing the STATE run detox center.
I bet privatly run detox center arn't in the red and they don't put up with b.s.
You junkies want it open....pay your way.
All those that it saved donate to keep it open.
Its a choice to put posion into your body not a disease.
The AMA also stated years ago that homosexuals are sick and have a mental condition.
So using the AMA try and make your point seam right doesn't hold water.
BigBensGuidetoCh icks

Dracut, MA

#15 Dec 29, 2010
I only go to detox to cut down on my habit when it gets too out of control.
Dr B family

Lowell, MA

#16 Dec 29, 2010
AND wrote:
I bet privatly run detox center arn't in the red and they don't put up with b.s.
The AMA also stated years ago that homosexuals are sick and have a mental condition.
AND.... I hope the day never comes for you when you have a loved one who is sooo hooked on alcohol or drugs that they would sell their soul to the devil to get another bottle or drug... I hope the day never comes when you see a loved one suffer DT's (delirium tremmors) to the point where they seize or lapse into a coma.. I cannot stand the ignorance of people who don't get it and yes I called you ignorant.. Until you live the hell of a family member who is powerless over seeing their loved one slowly dying because they cannot stop because they are soo hooked to the heroin,crack,oxy's,booze,meth, pot,coke it's not so simple as you believe to just stop. It's a disease that can kill just ask those who couldn't stop drinking until it was too late... Digest that and rant on because I think you need to really look into what a addict/alcohol goes thru.
Jason Stackhouse

Malden, MA

#17 Dec 29, 2010
AND wrote:
You are a waste of sperm my friend.
kim

Haverhill, MA

#18 Dec 29, 2010
figures, tewksbury town employees, stole so much money, now they do not even have the power at the state level, to keep a ficility open that helps people in our town,and other nearby towns,what is john sullivan stealing now, from tewksbury state hospital, he has stolen plenty from that state ficility,he should be locked up there.
AND

AOL

#19 Dec 29, 2010
Dr B family wrote:
<quoted text>
AND.... I hope the day never comes for you when you have a loved one who is sooo hooked on alcohol or drugs that they would sell their soul to the devil to get another bottle or drug... I hope the day never comes when you see a loved one suffer DT's (delirium tremmors) to the point where they seize or lapse into a coma.. I cannot stand the ignorance of people who don't get it and yes I called you ignorant.. Until you live the hell of a family member who is powerless over seeing their loved one slowly dying because they cannot stop because they are soo hooked to the heroin,crack,oxy's,booze,meth, pot,coke it's not so simple as you believe to just stop. It's a disease that can kill just ask those who couldn't stop drinking until it was too late... Digest that and rant on because I think you need to really look into what a addict/alcohol goes thru.
Dr. somone in my family did have this dreaded "disease". It was all self inflicted. So don't tell me its not. They where no use to the world and all they did was pray on what they saw as someone "weaker" then them.
They got cured though cought a REAL disease and died.
So you can save me the b.s. they can pay their owne way.
But they won't help themselves as long as they don't have to.
As long as there are people willing to pay it for them. As long as it is regulated that the many have to pay for a few.
AND

AOL

#20 Dec 29, 2010
Jason Stackhouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a waste of sperm my friend.
Well Jason do what your mother does.....$uck it up!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
High-profile lawyer to defend local mom in sex ... (Apr '08) Fri laxman 16
Jessica Krutuleski (Oct '12) Fri concerned 28
Tricking men for a meal ticket (Jan '10) Thu guest 9
Jobseeker Dec 15 Reda 2
my wife refuses to get a job! (Aug '09) Dec 15 fdb 184
A hairy situation growing in Lowell (Mar '08) Dec 14 the dawg 106
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Dec 9 John Doe 322

Andover News Video

Andover Dating
Find my Match