Thinking of moving to Greenville SC
venning

Perryville, MO

#264 Sep 21, 2012
I lived in Greenville for 1 year While I worked for an automotive company that was starting up a new plant in the area. I could not wait to get the **ck out of Greenville. Its a nice city, its growing, and growing fast. The weather is great in the wintertime,and your 3 hours from the ocean. The downtown is nice, nice upscale restaurants,and bars.
However,
1)The shopping is bad there. Tp find any decent upscale retail, you need to drive about an hour north to south park mall in charlotte.
2)The people dont like Yankees.If you try to buy a house or rent a house, they will do everyhting in their power to make sure you dont find a place to live. They charge enormous application fees just to fill out a rental app. Up north, there is no fees, down there, they are money hungry and gouge fees from yankees.
3)If you are not connected to a lawyer or a judge, they dont like you and you are considered an outsider. They will use their legal connections down there to get rid of you or find some lame excuse to put you in jail.
4)They pull you over every 10 minutes it seems for ticky tack traffic issues and gladly give you a ticket.
5)If you miss your electric bill or gas bill or any other utility bill, by one day, they will shut you off. Of course, they will turn it back on for you, but it will cost you !! Laurens electric for example has $495 reinstatement fee. They look for ways to get $ from you. And if you are late, they will shut you off. That crap doesnt occur up north. Companies will generally work with you. But not in greenville.
The south preaches a good game about family values and christian values and being kind to your fellow man, but they dont practice it.
I got tired fo getting the run around in greenville on everything that I gladly came back home to Suburban Detroit Michigan!!!! I was so glad to get the hell out of that redneck backwards city of greenville and from the evil yankee haters down there.
thank god, iM out of that shithole.
venning

Perryville, MO

#265 Sep 21, 2012
Greenville is full of old money southern bigots that hate yankees, kill pets, gladly run you over on the road, and steal money from you using bogus application fees, or processing fees, or maintenance fees. They are crooks and are not true christians. They preach christianity, but are not true christians. The businesses in that state should be investigated by the DOJ, along with all their crooked small town judges and attorneys.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#266 Sep 21, 2012
"1)The shopping is bad there. Tp find any decent upscale retail, you need to drive about an hour north to south park mall in charlotte."

Probably not the best criteria for living somewhere or not...but that said, cut us some slack. 10-12 years ago, Greenville didn't have anything going for it. Now, it's on the Top 101 List of Cities that People Commute To. Growth takes time! In the south, cities weren't planned, like up north (hence the crazy roads).

"2)The people dont like Yankees.If you try to buy a house or rent a house, they will do everyhting in their power to make sure you dont find a place to live. They charge enormous application fees just to fill out a rental app. Up north, there is no fees, down there, they are money hungry and gouge fees from yankees."

We don't like THE Yankees,maybe, but I've know plenty of Northerners who love it here...from Vermont, New York, Ohio, Michigan...

"3)If you are not connected to a lawyer or a judge, they dont like you and you are considered an outsider. They will use their legal connections down there to get rid of you or find some lame excuse to put you in jail."

Who is "They," exactly? Were you unjustly thrown in jail?

"4)They pull you over every 10 minutes it seems for ticky tack traffic issues and gladly give you a ticket."

Lived here for 10 years, have received two traffic tickets in that entire time. You experience isn't the standard for determining if its a good place to live or not.

"If you miss your electric bill or gas bill or any other utility bill, by one day, they will shut you off. Of course, they will turn it back on for you, but it will cost you !! Laurens electric for example has $495 reinstatement fee."

Can't speak to gas bills, but I have Laurens electric and I've paid late before. They don't shut anything off for 10 days,(my bill this month says Due: 10/1, Cutoff date: 10/10) but there IS a whopping $4.00 late fee! As for reinstatement, after the cutoff date, there's a $25.00 fee. I copy/pasted this from my bill on their website:
"CUTOFF DATE FOR CURRENT TOTAL AMOUNT DUE IS OCTOBER 10, 2012. A 25.00 DELINQUENT LATE FEE WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ACCOUNT IF NOT PAID BEFORE THIS DATE."
Our water company is pretty dumb, but there is still a 7-10 grace period before they shut it off, NO late fee, and a $20.00 reinstatement fee. Not quite the nightmare you make out.

"They are crooks and are not true christians. They preach christianity, but are not true christians."

Spoken like a true Christian, unhindered by bigotry...

( m-w.com says, "Bigotry: The state of mind of a bigot. Bigot:a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group [examples](as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance)

Location hidden

#267 Sep 21, 2012
Additionally, my husband and his family are from Michigan. They'll be the first to tell you - the reason you're not getting pulled over that often is that the inadequate numbers of existing policemen and women are too busy solving the murders that seem to happen every five minutes. You should check out the crime stats. My brother in law was standing on his girlfriends porch and was shot in the stomach by no one he knew and they never caught the guy who did it.

My husband said to tell you he hopes you bought a bullet-proof vest before you moved back.

Location hidden

#268 Sep 21, 2012
The shooting happened in Davidson, right outside Detroit.
venning

Rochester, MI

#269 Sep 22, 2012
You can have Greenville and the entire south. You are all hicks and not true christians. You all preach a good game but dont practice it. I never once saw true christianity towards a fellow man down there.
venning

Rochester, MI

#270 Sep 22, 2012
I live in the upscale oakland country suburbs and I love it up here! We have somerset mall and armani and nieman marcus up here. I love bllomfield hills, grosse pointe and the other upscale cities up here. Im just so glad Im out of that **cking shithole of Greenville. I was like "get me the **ck out of here away from all these evil hypocritical people and there bigotry.

Location hidden

#272 Sep 26, 2012
venning wrote:
You can have Greenville and the entire south. You are all hicks and not true christians. You all preach a good game but dont practice it. I never once saw true christianity towards a fellow man down there.
One again, spoken with the love and kindness you'd expect from a true Christian.

It's amazing that you managed to meet everyone who lives here in just one year. What about my conversation with you seems 'hick-like?' I've lived here my whole life!

When I was 5 months pregnant, I had a total stranger give me $20 in a store cause she heard me say I didn't have enough to buy baby blankets. Now if that's not a Christian act of kindness...
North Carolain

Charlotte, NC

#273 Sep 28, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Annie, you seem to have a little bit of bad luck down here. It sounds like you have some personal issues that you blame on where you live. I don't know of a more better place to live. The area is booming, with great schools and good jobs. There is plenty to do, and if you get bored, it's your own fault. We have the mountains 1 hour north, the beach 3 hours east, and Atlanta 2 hours south. I don't think it get's much better than that. The weather is mild year around, but the allergies can be a pain. Besides that, this place is great. I think you need to find new friends!
The roads and interstates in South Carolina will tear your automobile front end all to hell. SC is a backwards state. It's all f****d up.
Martin

Sarasota, FL

#274 Sep 29, 2012
So all in all I see people posting their views about every negativity known to man kind and yet nothing about how to overcome obstacles and live in harmony and how live your own life without letting others influence what you say and do!

I visited Greenville almost a year ago and I still know beyond doubt that I am going to live there someday. Downtown Greenville is totally beautiful and I found the people to be friendly and very approachable. It's going to be one of the top places to live in the United Sates and if you can learn how to blend in and not allow someone's religion, politics or views to influence your own then you will do just fine.

My advice to those who think that Greenville SC might be a hick town full of religious fanatics and gun tooting gangsters and companies that will disconect you at drop of a hat is this. Learn how to see the beauty of living in a state rhat has abundent space and rustic and not feel supressed by someone else's opinions .

Learn how to choose the right neighborhoods to live in "crime is everywhere but it has areas that it's obvious that you will know that it thrives in.

Pay your bills on time and you won't get cut off!

That's it! Live your own life your own way and you will get on in Greenville. I live in Florida and I still can't wait to move to SC.

Location hidden

#275 Sep 30, 2012
North Carolain wrote:
<quoted text>
The roads and interstates in South Carolina will tear your automobile front end all to hell. SC is a backwards state. It's all f****d up.
And the salt on the roads up north will rust out your entire vehicle underside and make it valueless...seems like that might be worse than front end damage.
Katie Henderson

United States

#276 Oct 2, 2012
Hubby andi moved to greenville just this past june from
PA. we love it here! Greenville is not perfect,
but a wonderful place to raise a family. The downtown
is gorgeous. the park and waterfall and wonderful
historic preservation. Your 40 minutes or more
from the mountains and gorgeous jocasse lake with'
waterfalls! We were going to move to Asheville NC/
until we visited. Hated Asheville.
They have done a bad job with historic preservation.
Topless rallys, beer joints and high crime
for such a small city. Asheville ( very overrated )
bad place to raise kids and expensive. dont believe
the hype. I was pleasantly surprised Greenville
has such great art galleries so if your into art.
whiteguy

Greer, SC

#277 Dec 14, 2012
DamYankee wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband our 2 kids and I moved here 8 months ago from MA. We grew up in MA, but moved to Simpsonville, SC because my 3 sisters and mother some how ended up here. Like I said, 8 months ago we came here and my husband STILL has not found a decent job. He's an IT/Networking Eng., worked over 12 years at his last job, left on great terms, has excellent references, NO ONE will hire him. He spends 40-50 hours a week job hunting...Also, the benefits here are terrible, no one wants to give you health ins, at least nothing that's decent. The schools here are terrible compared to most of the rest of the country. If you go online to Greenville public schools and look at their school report cards you'll see what I mean. The drivers here are crazy. I swear it's like they're gunning for you. And I also have been flipped off and sworn at (with my kids in the car no-less). If we could go back, back to our old house, back to his secure job, we'd go in a heartbeat, but we can't and we feel totally trapped here. You will ALWAYS be an outsider if you come here, sure yeah, the weather is nice, homes are on the cheaper side but so is the construction (cheaply made homes compared to up north) cars are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, we had sold my husbands car when we moved and had to replace it when we got here. Well they want $8,000 for a 10 year old car with 200,000 miles on it! ALso there are so many scam artists around here you REALLY have to be careful, we almost 2 cars that were salavaged, one from a flood, the other had been totaled! Sellers never mentioned it. Groceries cost more because you have to pay tax on them, clothes also. TAXES on EVERYTHING here! Any way, I'd find another place to go, the grass is definitely NOT greener in Greenville, SC!
WRONG! There is NO sales tax on groceries anywhere in South Carolina. The rest is mostly BS, as well.
galt

Bristol, RI

#278 Dec 15, 2012
I live in RI and am thinking of moving to Greer, or some other suburb of Greenville. I visited recently and really thought Greenville was a beautiful city. The cost of living appears to be very low compared to RI where we are being taxes to death. I like that SC is a right to work state, and that E-verify is state-mandated. We are planning a trip back in January and was wondering what other towns we should consider. We like a town with a "downtown" feel, as opposed to strip mall downtown. No children involved so schools system is not top priority. Is Upstate friendly to northerners?
galt

Bristol, RI

#279 Dec 15, 2012
Stephanie A wrote:
Hello people! My husband and I are thinking of moving to SC. We live in Rhode Island, he is from Colombia and I have lived in RI for over 30 years. What are the main industries in Greenville and where are the safest areas to live? Thanks for your help.
Hi Stephanie! I think we will be following you We live in Bristol and the taxes in RI are driving us out! Let me know how you make out!

We are looking at Greer... but are open to suggestion.

marina
yep

United States

#280 Dec 17, 2012
galt wrote:
I live in RI and am thinking of moving to Greer, or some other suburb of Greenville. I visited recently and really thought Greenville was a beautiful city. The cost of living appears to be very low compared to RI where we are being taxes to death. I like that SC is a right to work state, and that E-verify is state-mandated. We are planning a trip back in January and was wondering what other towns we should consider. We like a town with a "downtown" feel, as opposed to strip mall downtown. No children involved so schools system is not top priority. Is Upstate friendly to northerners?
yes upstate is friendly to northerners,ignore those negative comments. Their is crime here as their is anywhere. Use a little common sense and youll be fine. Stay out of bad neighborhoods and be picky about who you befriend.
galt

Bristol, RI

#281 Dec 17, 2012
Misc2000 wrote:
It's getting really crowded here in the upstate...
All the beautiful things we moved here for ten years ago are disappearing and will be gone soon.
I would recommend looking elsewhere if you plan on having/bringing a family with you.
After all of the public lake accesses and wildnerness have been closed off, it seems like the only thing left to do is go shopping. I'm from a mid atlantic state where people like to hang out and be friendly. Everyone is too busy being a consumer here. Additionally, cultural activities, outside of local culture, are, in my humble opinion, somewhat limited not in quantity, but in quality.
What do you mean "the public access to the lakes have been closed off"?? You can't use the lakes?
yep

Ocala, FL

#282 Dec 17, 2012
Yes u can go to lakes,access is usualy thru park. Charge is 2 dollars and that keeps the parks up.
There is plenty of wilderness to enjoy and access is limited for protection of rare plants and wildlife.
galt

Bristol, RI

#283 Dec 18, 2012
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
yes upstate is friendly to northerners,ignore those negative comments. Their is crime here as their is anywhere. Use a little common sense and youll be fine. Stay out of bad neighborhoods and be picky about who you befriend.
Thanks "yep"... What do you think of Greer? Or do you have other suggestions? My husband anad I are going back in January to look around some more... My friends live in Fountain Inn and seem to like it.
yep

United States

#284 Dec 18, 2012
Greer is nice,so is simpsonville. Upstate has everything from city life to small quiet country areas. I prefer southern greenville myself. Aint much goin on down here in possum kingdom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tony Perkins claims churches will lose federal ... (May '15) 12 hr Tony Perkins Faith 8
me (Sep '14) 13 hr Mee 2
Need new parents. Its either yes or no. I dont ... (May '12) May 23 A proud Black girl 13
GREENVILLE-ASHEVILLE CULT: DEEKSHA ONENESS "BLE... May 23 Dicksha Cult 1
Worst Neigborhoods in Greenville (Feb '08) May 17 Trolling Porpoise 119
Grand Home Furnishings 1995/1996 (Oct '13) May 16 also friend 2
robin scheon (Mar '15) Apr '16 jay 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anderson Mortgages