Pet Grooming Schools & Associations Need To Be Investigated!

Posted in the Anderson Forum

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 62 of62
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
geez

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

EducationSystemSucks wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why these pet grooming school courses are kept so short. Where else can a "tard" be certified but through a pet grooming school or pet grooming association.
Oh wait, I had a "tard" apply for a grooming job that had a IQ of only 70 (seventy) that was certified by a College as a Certified Vet-Assistance.
Sounds like you are assuming a mentally disabled person has no capabilities in society except getting certified by a scam.
wirefox

Hummelstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

I have been grooming for over 10 years, learned through several hands on programs and opportunities, not in a school. A lot of people who go to grooming schools have no concept of what the industry is like, and get in over their heads. I worked under the woman who trained me for 6 years, learning the entire time. I now compete in grooming competitions as well.

Plain and simple, licensing is necessary. I hate reading stories of pets injured by 'groomers' who lie about certification (a certificate of completion from a school is NOT certification, or licensing!) I agree that something DOES NEED to be put in place. There are efforts out there in the works in several states to create a licensing program similar to that which human hairstylists and cosmetologists are required to take. The hang up is noone can agree on who should make what rules, who should be in charge, and the list goes on. A board should comprise of not only groomers but also at least one veterinarian, and ideally an animal trainer/behaviorist. One giant lack in grooming is groomers don't always take the time to learn any training or behavior management skills (and it's scary that this doesn't just go for the dogs in all cases!)

Going to a school, whether reputable or otherwise, also does not mean you are 'instant groomer'. You may know some basics, but I see groomers all the time who stop there. A big problem that feeds this are big chains that provide 'grooming' services with in house trained groomers. They claim their groomers are 'certified' after taking multiple choice quizzes and reading a book. Heck, the one I worked for, the salon manager even gave me the answer sheet. Fortunately that's not where I was taught.

But anyway. I'll rest. The plain simple fact is regulation IS needed, and this is coming straight from a groomer, who is tired of the BS in the industry. I'm not perfect, never will be, but there's always something new to learn, you just have to have the drive and aptitude to BE a good groomer to take the steps necessary to become one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 62 of62
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Anderson Discussions

Search the Anderson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
why don't white males date black women (Jul '12) Tue Oil man 43
William Harner - former Greenville superintendent Tue Quakertown Parent 2
Debate: Marijuana - Greenville, SC (Aug '10) Tue Oil man 140
Pastor accused of sexual conduct with girl at t... Tue Dav 2
Who is the best family court lawyers in greenvi... (Feb '12) Tue Ntime 7
Review: BK Residential Construction (Jun '13) Tue curiouscat 3
Pet friendly weekly motel? Apr 13 CCD 1
•••
•••