First Prev
of 3
Next Last
CMJ

Swayzee, IN

#45 Mar 4, 2011
John wrote:
<quoted text>
How old are you 12 or 13? Mike Jones teaches mostly kid and there is a reason for that. Also how long have you known Glenn Keeney or Mr. Chalfant? Do you know Mr. Chalfant at all or are you just saying somthing just to see you words in print?
I am not sure how I got drug into this, but regardless, the only kids I teach are my own, all the rest of my students are adults, some even have there own dojo. I have known Kevin since he started at the Komakai. John or whoever you are, you do not know me and have no idea what I teach, but please feel free to come by for a free lesson and find out. I was notified that some of my students might be in this discussion and they were told to stop.

I do not have a dog in this fight and could careless about it, just leave me out of it. The legal issue between Kevin and Mr. Keeney is settled from what I understand and that as they say is that.
Kathy Flanigan

United States

#46 Apr 10, 2011
Confused wrote:
I am not sure the difference of what you are talking about. I have been looking for something my kids and I can do together and have thought about that karate school. Please give us more details about you are talking about so community members like myself can learn about this. Can you recommend a better karate school? Thank you
I know when I was a student at Mr. Keeney' Komakai Academy of Karate you got what you paid for plus alot more. You learned the discipline, techniques, respect, & we had pride in our Dojo & Mr. Keeney along with all of our other Black Belt Instructors. If you are from the Andeerson Area Mr. Larry Davenport has a quality Dojo on 8th. Street & Mr. Mark Smith who earned his Black Belt at my Komakai with Mr. Keeney has a Dojo on Broadway. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either of these Dojo I am only sorry my Komakai has closed & is now being disgraced from what I hear or read.
Kathy Flanigan

United States

#47 Apr 10, 2011
I also did the classes with my 3 sons aged 6, 9, 12 when they started. Three of us promoted to Blue Belt Rank which we earned & my youngest made it to yellow. The four of us are proudly some of Mr. Keeney's State & National Karate Champions so shame on whoever from Mr. Chalfants Komakai for tarnashing our Dojos good name & reputation.
Jim

New Castle, IN

#48 Jun 7, 2011
He must take after his teacher Glenn Keeney who on his website goes by the title of Hanshi. Yet Glenn Keeney is not qualified to use this title under the governing body of martial arts in Japan the Dai Nippon Butokukai. As a matter of fact most american martial artist use these titles without proper authorization. I wounder who you studied under and what they call themselves or you for that matter. Most people who talk poorly of others do so in order to justify themselves.
Amused wrote:
I am somewhat amused by the post's above. I am a karate student, although I have never worked out at Mr. Chalfant's dojo, I would agree somewhat with what some have said. You get out of karate what you put into it. Having said that, I am curious why Mr. Chalfant refers to himself as "Renshi", does he possess the appropriate acknowledgment from the governing bodies in Japan, or Okinawa? In my research I have found that you are only granted this through written and skills test, and it must all be verified by multiple experts. The other amazing fact is that he uses on promotional material(nkka website), and he refers to himself as such, which is extremely rude in Japanese terms. I realize that we are not in Japan, but he is teaching a Okinawan martial arts form. Also, if he is teaching the true Okinawan Goju-Ryu system as handed down to him, He really shouldn't be using the term Renshi anyhow, as this is usually reserved for the more mainland Japanese styles.
Amanda

United States

#49 Jul 7, 2011
This was not posted by Robert Malloy. I believe he wrote this letter, but he is not the one who posted it. I know this because I know Robert Malloy personally. He is the principal at Parker Elementary and has been there at least 6 years, so he has not worked for Tri and Spiceland schools in at least that long. I think this is an old letter that has nothing to do with these discussions. This letter is being used to state that Chalfant's Komakai Academy is good. The only thing this letter says is that they did a good job in a school demonstration.
Robert wrote:
Dear Mr. Chalfant,
On behalf of the students and staff of Spiceland and Tri Elementary Schools, I would like to thank you and your staff for taking time from your busy schedule to come and speak with us today. You did a great job! Your program on respect really delivered the message we want our students to hear and put inot practice. I feel that our student's came away with a better understanding of what respect is and how it ap[plies to them in becoming a better peron. The kids also really enjoyed tghe emonstrations ginve duing the presentation. The demonstrations allowed them to see thgat karate is an art that requires dicipline and dedication. It let all of eth children see that karate is an activity in which that can all participate. Hopefully, some of our students will take you up on your offer for 30 days of free lessons.
Again, I thank you. People like you really make a difference in our community and in the lives of our children. You provide a positive role model who demonstrates to our children the importance and bendfits of being a person of strong, moral character.
Sincerely
Robert M. Malloy
Principal
Judy

Indianapolis, IN

#50 Aug 2, 2011
Avoid this dojo wrote:
Chalfant's Komakai Academy of Karate is unfortunately a scam dojo, some people call them "McDojos". Mr. Kevin Chalfant is ONLY interested in money and how to make more of it, and cares very little about his students or actually teaching the martial arts. Belts are "sold" for $50 every two months, without students ever being tested or showing any real skills.
You can not talk life skills and not live by them. You cannot sleep with your student. This will destroy a karate school faster then anything. how can you expect your children and wife to go to someone that does such a thing. for ANY reason!!! I'm sorry Mrs Chalfant..
Judy

Indianapolis, IN

#51 Aug 2, 2011
After his wife left the karate school things are totally not the same. I guess when you sleep with your student things have to change to the worse. to bad
Cliff

Greer, SC

#52 Apr 24, 2013
I took karate from one of Kevin's competitors because I didn't think it wise to get locked into such a long term commitment. I had heard the stories from more than one person about the binding contracts and sales techniques (tactics) and that just wasn't for me. I made it to brown belt and did learn some very good karate from the lineage of Mr. Pickel and Mr. Keeney. I now do BJJ and believe that the ground game is good to know. I took karate for only four years and know that I couldn't have fought toe to toe with Kevin, but after only 6 years of BJJ (compared to his 30+ years of karate), I would without a doubt come out on top and I'm not a black belt. Yet!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any rentals available??? Nov 29 Bettyb 1
free the last of the anderson 4 (Aug '11) Nov 28 Johnny5 9
james smith (Apr '12) Nov 26 Indianaland 4
crank Nov 24 porfavor 1
Logan Smith... Nov 21 Thinking 1
Donald Trumps child rape new trial date Nov 19 TRUMP2016 president 8
Lost Pet Nov '16 Pickles 3

Anderson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance