Review: Chalfant's Komakai Academy

Posted in the Anderson Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Avoid this dojo

Anderson, IN

#1 Jan 9, 2009
Chalfant's Komakai Academy of Karate is unfortunately a scam dojo, some people call them "McDojos". Mr. Kevin Chalfant is ONLY interested in money and how to make more of it, and cares very little about his students or actually teaching the martial arts. Belts are "sold" for $50 every two months, without students ever being tested or showing any real skills.
Disgraceful

Swayzee, IN

#2 Jan 16, 2009
Please do not confuse this with the komakai academy that was founded by Larry Pickel and Glenn Keeney. Keeney was a traditional karate teacher and turned out some great students. Chalfant is a disgrace. In fact he stole the name from Keeney.
Confused

Tokyo, Japan

#3 Jan 22, 2009
I am not sure the difference of what you are talking about. I have been looking for something my kids and I can do together and have thought about that karate school. Please give us more details about you are talking about so community members like myself can learn about this. Can you recommend a better karate school? Thank you
Mark

San Francisco, CA

#4 Mar 2, 2009
I have known Mr. Chalfant for 25 years now having meet him in 1984. I know that he is one of the most knowledgeable people that studied karate with Glenn Keeney. He teaches the traditional karate that he learned from his instructors. He purchased the Komakai Karate Academy after Mr. Keeney offered to sell it to him in 2004. I would recommend him to anyone who wants to learn karate. My son and his family and I study with him and love it. It is my experience that anyone who speaks badly of this man and his academy are people who are jealous of his success or they did not fulfill their obligation to pay him and are dead beats.
Jeff

San Francisco, CA

#5 Mar 2, 2009
I have known and studied karate with Mr. Chalfant for 10 years now. He teaches the traditional karate that he learned from his instructors in the most professional and positive manor possible. He purchased the Komakai Karate Academy after Mr. Keeney offered to sell it to him in 2004. I would recommend him to anyone who wants to learn karate. My son, grandson, and I study with him and love it. We have all earned our black belts together and continue to train with Mr. Chalfant. It is my experience that anyone who speaks negative of Mr. Chalfant and his academy are people who did not fulfill their obligations to him and are dead beats.
Marry

San Francisco, CA

#6 Mar 2, 2009
I very very strongly recommend Mr. Chalfant’s Karate Academy to people. My grand-daughter Sally started studying with Mr. Chalfant and his wife when she was 6 now at age 10 she is a strong, confident, out going little girl. Her grades improved at school she gets along with others much better. She has become very respectful of others and treats people kindly. She learned this through Mr. and Mrs. Chalfant’s example. She is becoming the young lady that I want her to be.
Vaughn

Alexandria, IN

#7 Mar 3, 2009
Our grandson has come a long way from being shy and quiet. Since enrolling him in Chalfant's Komakai Academy of karate he has gained self-confidence and a since of pride. He is making good grades. In the leadership he is learning the art of self-defense as well as how to be thoughtful and courteous to others.
Stoner

Alexandria, IN

#8 Mar 3, 2009
Our daughter had trouble with concentration and focus in school, self-discipline, and low self-confidence. We tried many different things to try to help her overcome these issues with no prevail. She also plays softball and has loved it every since she was able to swing a bat. Even in softball she has trouble concentrating and gives up easily when tasks become hard. As a result of these things she developed a major decrease in confidence.

We enrolled her in Chalfant’s Komakai Karate with hope. The Sensei told us that karate would help to teach our daughter to improve concentration, increase self-discipline, respect, and give our daughter confidence. As she learned self-defense and leadership skills, working her way from the basic white belt up to black belt, we did noti8ce a difference. She does have more confidence! We noticed that her respect for others is improving as well. Her schoolteacher this year states the she tries very hard and is a joy in class. Her dad says her softball game has improved as a direct result fro9m lessons taught by Chalfant’s Komakai Karate.

Chalfant’s Komakai Academy of Karate teaches leadership skills that are invaluable for children today. We are very proud of our daughter and her accomplishments and we highly commend Chalfant’s for their hard work and desire to instill leadership and confidence in today’s youth.
Tim

Alexandria, IN

#9 Mar 3, 2009
Karate has helped our son tremendously. He is a happy, healthy five-year-old boy, which is due in part to karate. Our son has always had a mind of his own, and a little over a year ago we decided we needed to do something to help him control himself and head off any problems that might arise otherwise. We enrolled him in Chalfant’s Komakai Academy of Karat. He is now respectful and patient, and has learned a great deal of self-discipline. He loves karate, and never minds going to practices. He even practices at home. He really enjoys the things he is learning and has made new friends in class. He is now very athletic and strong. We have also noticed a change in his confidence level. He attempts new things and seems to have a sense of accomplishment when he does well. He sets goals for himself and keeps trying until he reaches them. He also does many things we thought a five-year-old incapable of. He has learned several moves and even remembers their Japanese names!

Mr. Chalfant is such a great influence on our son. In a world where it is difficult to trust people, he is someone we would trust with our son’s life. He is a great role model for our son. Our son is very impressed by the kind of man Mr. Chalfant is. He models himself after Mr. Chalfant. At Christmas, our son asked what we were getting for Mr. and Mrs. Chalfant. He sees them as a part of our extended family. Our son has not always been comfortable around people he doesn’t know well, but he took to Mr. and Mrs. Chalfant immediately. The Chalfant’s and karate have been a blessing to our family.
Briana

Anderson, IN

#10 Mar 11, 2009
I had a genuine interest in learning the martial arts, and so decided to attend this dojo. However, I quickly learned that Mr. Chalfant was more interested in the money than in teaching his students. In the process of trying to talk me into a costly contract, he promised me that I would gain confidence and self-respect through his classes. However, the reality was that as I reached the higher levels, he actually left classes to spar on their own while he went off to sell new customers. I'm surprised that he has received so many positive reviews when my experience there was so wildly different.
MEANIES

Muncie, IN

#13 Mar 12, 2009
Ur are just a jalous, ded-beat, hoglump who don't respecst Sensai Chalfants grate tallents as a karat insttractor. U shuld be ashammed.
Bill

Germany

#15 Mar 22, 2009
I trained along time with Mr.Chalfant under Mr.Keeney And find it hard to believe what some have writen here. Kevin was always dedicated to his training and always had time to help the new or less advanced students,myself included. So, stop looking for faults and concentrate on learning. There is to much to gain from Karate, so have an open mind and take in all thats offered. Kevin if you read this keep up the good work.
Mark

Swayzee, IN

#16 Mar 22, 2009
He was sold a dojo, not the Komakai name, that he stole. There were several black belts given the right to use the Komakai Name. Some have been there much longer than Kevin. Somebody call Mr. Keeney and aske the real story.
Curtis

Anderson, IN

#17 Apr 15, 2009
Yes I can!!! Mark Smith's K2 Martial Arts Academy. It's on Broadway. Topix does not allow the posting of phone numbers and personal information. So you will have to find it on the northern end of Broadway in the shopping plaza between Subway Labor Ready and Pizza Hut. We are in there every Mon and Wed night from 5:30p.m. to 9p.m.
Confused wrote:
I am not sure the difference of what you are talking about. I have been looking for something my kids and I can do together and have thought about that karate school. Please give us more details about you are talking about so community members like myself can learn about this. Can you recommend a better karate school? Thank you
Amused

Shirley, IN

#18 Jul 22, 2009
I am somewhat amused by the post's above. I am a karate student, although I have never worked out at Mr. Chalfant's dojo, I would agree somewhat with what some have said. You get out of karate what you put into it. Having said that, I am curious why Mr. Chalfant refers to himself as "Renshi", does he possess the appropriate acknowledgment from the governing bodies in Japan, or Okinawa? In my research I have found that you are only granted this through written and skills test, and it must all be verified by multiple experts. The other amazing fact is that he uses on promotional material(nkka website), and he refers to himself as such, which is extremely rude in Japanese terms. I realize that we are not in Japan, but he is teaching a Okinawan martial arts form. Also, if he is teaching the true Okinawan Goju-Ryu system as handed down to him, He really shouldn't be using the term Renshi anyhow, as this is usually reserved for the more mainland Japanese styles.
jtm

United States

#19 Jul 29, 2009
Amused wrote:
I am somewhat amused by the post's above. I am a karate student, although I have never worked out at Mr. Chalfant's dojo, I would agree somewhat with what some have said. You get out of karate what you put into it. Having said that, I am curious why Mr. Chalfant refers to himself as "Renshi", does he possess the appropriate acknowledgment from the governing bodies in Japan, or Okinawa? In my research I have found that you are only granted this through written and skills test, and it must all be verified by multiple experts. The other amazing fact is that he uses on promotional material(nkka website), and he refers to himself as such, which is extremely rude in Japanese terms. I realize that we are not in Japan, but he is teaching a Okinawan martial arts form. Also, if he is teaching the true Okinawan Goju-Ryu system as handed down to him, He really shouldn't be using the term Renshi anyhow, as this is usually reserved for the more mainland Japanese styles.
Totaly agree
Ex Student

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Aug 20, 2009
Being a lifetime member under Glenn Keeney I have always respected the arts and the old school style Mr. Keeney taught. Upon re-enrolling at Chalfant’s Komakai Academy of Karate, I quickly learned that his dojo is in no comparison to Mr. Keeney and it is indeed all about money. I've been involved in the arts for over 30 years and it is a shame to see the name Komakai degraded in this fashion.
John

Swayzee, IN

#21 Dec 1, 2009
Mr. Keeney is currently Sueing Chalfont for not paying him for the dojo and to get the name back. In fact Kevin was sold a dojo not the name Komakai, and as for his trademark, it was registered to someone else in Indiana before Kevin registerd it with the feds, it shouldn't have been allowed. A 40 year empire of strong traditional karate, given a black mark by this man is just sad.
Keith

Muncie, IN

#22 Dec 19, 2009
Disgraceful wrote:
Please do not confuse this with the komakai academy that was founded by Larry Pickel and Glenn Keeney. Keeney was a traditional karate teacher and turned out some great students. Chalfant is a disgrace. In fact he stole the name from Keeney.
He bought the rights to the name or word Komakai and how holds the patent on it. Check his website.
Keith

Muncie, IN

#23 Dec 19, 2009
Looks like a wide variety of criticism here for Mr. Chalfant. Must be a bunch of haters in the house. Any body that portrays themselves as professionals in Karate would know better than to talk this way. Oh well, remember to hold your Karate knowledge on your chin to keep it low. If it is in the back of your head it holds your nose way too high. Mr. Koeppel promoted Mr. Chalfant to the rank of 6th Dan on July 10, 1997 I think or 99 not sure. It would be a great insult to Mr. Koeppel to say Renshi Chalfant has not earned it....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the music thread (Jan '12) Jun '15 Musikologist 55
News Momentum for Muncie-to-Indy commuter rail (Sep '07) Mar '15 Unka_Oogie 166
News Bushes, tress and shrubs need some wintertime t... Feb '15 Vermin Extractor 1
Dominionism is dead. It is exposed as the corp... (Sep '14) Jan '15 kindperson 6
What Do You Think About Public School Dress Code? (Mar '07) Jan '15 wlvacanti 114
News Woman sentenced for sexual misconduct with teens (Jul '07) Jan '15 anonymous 75
News Sears adds Indiana to closing list (Dec '11) Dec '14 storm warning 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anderson Mortgages