electric meter hacking
Truth be known

Enterprise, AL

#1 Dec 14, 2012

inShare.

inShare.5

Solar at Home

----------

Could Hackers Break into Your Electric Meter?
By George Musser | August 11, 2011 | 4

Share Email Print

----------

When I was getting my solar panels installed, I couldn’t wait to see my electric meter literally spin backwards. Alas, as part of the process, the utility swapped out the old analog meter. That spinning metal disk had been a reminder of the raw mechanical power—giant turbines, mighty waterfalls, searing furnaces—that stood at the other end of the dainty wires running into my house. Now, instead of a disk, I have flashing digits, which seem more ethereal. In return, the new meter is more capable, which is why power companies are installing smart meters by the millions. But a lot of people worry they are a little too capable.

If someone in a utility control room can read your meter remotely, shut off power to your house, and modulate individual appliances to shed load during peak hours, then so could hackers. As the number of smart meters grows, so does the incentive for criminals and terrorists to misuse them. Concern has been mounting for several years. In early 2009, IOActive, a security firm, demonstrated how little it takes is to break into smart-meter networks. Last year, computer security expert Nate Lawson of Root Labs hacked a smart meter radio module he’d bought on eBay for $30. Many people who’ve gotten the meters complain about incorrect readings, often with good cause. After all this, I begin to wish I had my old spinning wheel back
Truth be known

Enterprise, AL

#2 Dec 14, 2012
I noticed a surge in my electric bill since they converted from the old analog to the digital system.
When I questioned why my electric bill was so much higher the lady that worked for the electric company's response was do I use a water tank that runs off of an electrical source.
Let's see I've lived in this apartment for a year with the same water tank and now their excuse to raise my electric bill is because of this.
Don't think so. You see the people of Alabama know that if they make these certain changes that they will stick just like the outrageous 400.00 dollar deposit they charged me because of an incorrect credit history. How could I go from just a month of not using their service and only paying a 100.00 dollar deposit to a 400.00 depost within a months time.
These crooks need to be investigated and terminated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andalusia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
county dirt roads (Jun '16) Sep 18 tired of it 42
Hillcrest Hospital (Mar '11) Jun '17 cindy patterson 3
Racism still exists in AL (Oct '09) Apr '17 Patrick Aei 61
atvs welcome (Nov '16) Jan '17 Dances With Women 3
Short term furnished rental (Dec '16) Dec '16 GCamp13 1
Heath Bars (Oct '16) Nov '16 Sweet Tooth 3
Rape and Domestic violence In a relationship (Nov '16) Nov '16 Concerned citizen 3

Andalusia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Andalusia Mortgages