Houston Astros Player Marijuana Addiction

Posted in the Anchorage Forum

Chris Deile

Redding, CA

#1 Mar 5, 2014
Jonathan Singleton Discusses Battle with Marijuana, Substance Addiction By Tim Daniels , Mar 4, 2014

Houston Astros prospect Jonathan Singleton is a power-hitting first baseman capable of becoming a force at the plate for a franchise desperately seeking star power. While he doesn't lack talent, his off-field progress is just as important to his development.

Singleton was suspended 50 games last year following a second failed drug test for marijuana. Kristie Rieken of The Associated Press reports Singleton has now been marijuana-free for more than a year as he attempts to make the Astros' Opening Day roster.

He said his drug addiction really became a problem after his second failed test because he continued to smoke on a daily basis afterward. That's when he agreed to enter a rehabilitation center, which posed some problems at the outset:

I knew I had a problem. Even after I failed the second drug test I couldn't stop smoking weed. It was really bad. Me going there was definitely the best move.

They would turn off the lights at 11:30 and I would just sit there and stare at the ceiling because I couldn't go to sleep. My heart was beating too fast. I would get night sweats. It was bad. I legitimately went through withdrawal.

Chris Deile

Redding, CA

#2 Mar 5, 2014
That's from CNN online "Bleacher report"; link on CNN: "MLB prospect battles pot addiction"

March 5, 2014

--Glad to see something along these lines about the personal harm of marijuana.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anchorage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for old friend Feb 23 DBB 1
Interview with an Alaska pilot: Keith Manternac... Feb 22 Mush 1
Review: Hans Barber Shop Feb 22 Jack 1
Last Post Wins!!! (Apr '11) Feb 19 -Lily- 1,922
Does your septic system use a Aerator? What brand? Feb 18 hendersonele 1
Alaska's lack of snow could again shift start o... Feb 16 Sneaky Pete 2
Review: Video Game Depot Feb 11 Samantha 1
Anchorage Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web