Man killed after pointing gun at trooper

A man was shot to death near Manley Hot Springs on Tuesday after pointing a long gun at an Alaska State Trooper, officials said Thursday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
To my beloved brother

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 18, 2006
May he rest in peace. He loved the land and all his family ever wanted for him was to be happy where he wanted to be.
He deserves more respect than people realize. If more people were like him the world would not be in the terrible shape it is now - I guarantee you that.
I love you Russell!
Your loving younger brother Rowdy
A Manley Resident

United States

#2 Jul 18, 2006
This was most probabbly an unjustified killing its funny that none of the articles mention the on scene witness Frank Gurtler who took the trooper and "unnamed fisherman to Russell's camp and the fact that the fisherman/tourist who shot Russell used Frank's Glock 10 to murder russell or that with five bulletts in him why he was handcuffed in the boat if the trooper tried to administer first aid as the articles states. Rowdy your brother was murdered and it is being covered up by the troopers and an out of state corrections officer from Az "the fisherman" Don't believe that Russell was a threat after a 2.5 hr conversation with the Trooper the fisherman was boasting about the shooting after it happened and the night before in the bar in Manley all he could say is that guy up on the river needs to die it was murder and a cover up so far I hope it gets sorted out properly.

Good Bye Russell.!! Good Luck Rowdy on getting true justice here
Another Manley Resident

United States

#3 Jul 18, 2006
the comment posted earlier by Manley Resident is true ! What about the witness ? what about the fact that Russell was handcuffed with 5 bulletts already in him ? Will we ever get justice for this or is it ok to kill someone just because their a little different? justice is needed prosecute the unnamed fisherman who murdered my friend for over 20 years RIP Russell!
Wildman

Oak Park, IL

#4 Jul 18, 2006
I am so sorry for the sad news of a man shot near Manley. I have been checking this board since a family member went missing in the area. There sure is a lot of sadness for a small town to take. I do not know anything about what happened and "justice" sometimes doesn't look how it should. I hope that you all find peace in this difficult time.
Another Manley Friend

United States

#5 Jul 26, 2006
Russell Sampietro
Heard voices in his head
Wanted to be left alone
And for that they shot him dead
On the Zitziana River
He struggled with himself
He tried to block the river
So they shot him till he fell
I don't remember Russell
As being mean or gruff
Last time he came to visit
He seemed friendly enough
It looks like he stoped taking
The medicine to quell
the voices he kept hearing
When he was by himself
With a trooper there for cover
A guide from Manley too,
Some Goon from Arizona
Shot poor Russell through
It seems th goon from outside
Was scared when Russell shot
His access had been denied
To his favorite fishing spot
They say the goon was drinking All the night and day
Spouting off for all to hear
How he'd make Russell pay
Why was Russell handcuffed
After five times being shot
Laid face down in Frank's boat
And covered with a tarp?
Why did they call a health aide
When they knew full well
Russell's soul was at peace
And their's were bound for hell
I remember Russell
as a peacefull gentle man
A woodsman of Alaska
Liviing off the land
This is how we treat people
Who are different from us?
There but for the grace of God
We may find ourselves....
I remember Russell
Riverrat

Anchorage, AK

#6 Aug 3, 2006
I hadn't seen Russell for many years. But from earlier times, I remember Russell being a kind, quiet person that could spend a lot time living by himself in the woods with very little and be happy doing it. I don't believe for a minute, that whatever problems Russell was dealing with, that he could be threat to anyone.
Without speaking specificity about the trooper who was with the shooter, as I don't know him, I have to say that the newer troopers in general don't seem to have much common sense, and seem to have "Rambo" style of enforcement. They seem to escalate situations, rather than defuse them. This really wasn't the case in the past, as the ability to exercise good judgment, be calm, reasonable, and be "human" used to be qualities that were valued in police in Alaska.
I don't expect there to be any sort of investigation, other than some official rubber stamp whitewash, which is tragic in itself.
Russell, wherever you are, I'll all always remember you fondly from years ago, paddling the the Tanana River in your red canoe with your quiet smile.
-Riverrat
Fairbanks, Alaska
mike manchester

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Nov 3, 2007
i hope justice is served for what has happened to my uncle.
Unknown

Anchorage, AK

#8 Nov 7, 2007
You dont pull a gun on a trooper, you are all idiots. the trooper had every right to defend himself. So Kudos To the trooper
Unknown

Anchorage, AK

#9 Nov 7, 2007
I do not apoligize for my message, and you should not disregard it either I feel bad for you, but you dont just pull a gun on a trooper. Try to understand that if someone pulled a gun on you, would not not pull a gun back?
mike manchester

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Nov 8, 2007
him being shot is not justified---
unknown

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Nov 8, 2007
he did not pull a gun on him he was holding the gun in teh first place

Since: Feb 07

Anchorage, AK

#12 Nov 8, 2007
Apparently some choices were made that day---some better than others!
Manley-ite

Anchorage, AK

#13 Oct 24, 2009
All this talk of love for Russell pisses me off-where the hell were all of you when he needed help? If you really knew him all these years, you would have seen the change and done something. I was not around due to work and never saw it happening, but I knew him in my youth and he was a friend of mine.
No, he didn't deserve to die, there IS help for people with mental illness.
To his family-we do visit his grave and remember.
The wonderer

Camden, NY

#14 Dec 16, 2009
I knew Russell many many years ago when he lived in NY, he was such a cute guy and so friendly, all the girls were in love with him. This whole thing makes no sense. How heart wrenching it is to see people now make rude comments about this terrible incident. Many things just don't add up, why did a prison guard, and I am using that terminolgoy to describe "the fisherman" because a Correction Officer would not behave as he did, why was he carrying a gun and using it. Why didn't the trooper use his own if Russell was such a threat to him. And 5 times?????? Senseless.
The wonderer

Camden, NY

#15 Dec 16, 2009
Beautifully written
Another Manley Friend wrote:
Russell Sampietro
Heard voices in his head
Wanted to be left alone
And for that they shot him dead
On the Zitziana River
He struggled with himself
He tried to block the river
So they shot him till he fell
I don't remember Russell
As being mean or gruff
Last time he came to visit
He seemed friendly enough
It looks like he stoped taking
The medicine to quell
the voices he kept hearing
When he was by himself
With a trooper there for cover
A guide from Manley too,
Some Goon from Arizona
Shot poor Russell through
It seems th goon from outside
Was scared when Russell shot
His access had been denied
To his favorite fishing spot
They say the goon was drinking All the night and day
Spouting off for all to hear
How he'd make Russell pay
Why was Russell handcuffed
After five times being shot
Laid face down in Frank's boat
And covered with a tarp?
Why did they call a health aide
When they knew full well
Russell's soul was at peace
And their's were bound for hell
I remember Russell
as a peacefull gentle man
A woodsman of Alaska
Liviing off the land
This is how we treat people
Who are different from us?
There but for the grace of God
We may find ourselves....
I remember Russell
The wonderer

Camden, NY

#16 Dec 16, 2009
Shame on you for insulting grieving people, do you not have any sense to let them grieve and remember someone they loved without making heartless comments.
Unknown wrote:
You dont pull a gun on a trooper, you are all idiots. the trooper had every right to defend himself. So Kudos To the trooper
Kindamina Gee

AOL

#17 Dec 21, 2009
It don't take long for guys like the fisherman to meet their water-loo.It always comes out in the wash....Read the Seattle news for the last several week.See what I mean? Nobody is above the law...even the law.
WolfsburgEdition

Collierville, TN

#18 Aug 4, 2011
Unknown wrote:
You dont pull a gun on a trooper,
Well, if ya does, you just have to make sure ya intend to use it, like that one ex-military guy that shot the Alaska State Trooper sniper out of a helicopter back in may 19 of 1984. That was some darned good shooting by the man on the ground, he fired two shots and got a kill right away, the Democrats in the helicopter fired dozens of rounds, spraying the place until some lucky shots found the man on the ground.
WolfsburgEdition

Collierville, TN

#19 Aug 4, 2011
Pop goes the weasel...

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusive...

"As I write this, I can see the sunlight reflect off the stock of his rifle as he swung toward us.

Silka, Troy, and I all firing at the same time; Troy and I firing 55-gr. tracers. Then, Troy fired three shots, I fired a burst of eight or nine, and Silka his first shot. He was using a Ruger #1, single shot, in .30-06.

Silka fired again, hitting Troy in the neck. I fired another burst, hitting Silka eight times in the legs, body and head. Both Troy and Silka died instantly. Capt. Lawrence was hit in the face from fragments of the bullet that had killed Troy. I figure the entire shooting lasted two secondsó25 rounds fired, two dead, one wounded, two seconds."
Friend of the Lieutenant

Mesa, AZ

#20 May 2, 2013
If you really want to know what happened that sad day. Go to the court house and request the case files. I hope none of you are ever put into the position of having to take another persons life. It's no picnic for anyone!!! You can all talk Monday Nite Football Issues and tear down all the players and their mistakes. With out you being there, don't make assumptions of what should or should not have taken place that sad day. The Police did a full investigation of the incident and Russel was charged with Attempted Murder X's Three. I'm a friend of the Corrections Lieutenant that did the shooting and he feels really bad that he had to take Russels life that day, but it was Russel or the Troopper whos lives that were at stake. You know what happened then. So get the real facts before damning someone for protecting others. Look at all the school shootings and stabings, not to mention the resent Boston bombing. I'm glad that some people have enough guts to make the hard decisions!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anchorage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins!!! (Apr '11) 13 hr texas pete 1,880
the music thread (Mar '12) 13 hr texas pete 52
Livin' Like You Wanna (stop removing this post) 16 hr Chris Deile 11
Call 1~855~720~4168 How to Change AOL Password 21 hr tycoonjamesh 1
Call 1~855~720~4168 AOL Tech Support for Any Co... 21 hr tycoonjamesh 1
Call 1~855~720~4168 AOL customer service contac... 21 hr tycoonjamesh 1
Livin' Like You Wanna Dec 24 CB Deile 10
Anchorage Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web