Pat Metheny Tells The Truth About Jaco

Posted in the Anchorage Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#1 Apr 11, 2014
Interesting clip (like a comment below the video, I too wouldn't have known of Jaco Pastorious were it not for Pat Metheny):

PAT METHENY TELLS THE TRUTH ABOUT JACO
video by Ebenezer Zorewo
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#2 Apr 11, 2014
Incredible video; it's one of his best tunes (from Pat Metheny Group's 'Offramp' album):

Pat Metheny - Are You Going With Me
video by desweef

--there's another excellent video where he does this tune with Anna Maria Jopek
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#3 Apr 11, 2014
Here it is, it's a bit spooky but the best version; if remembering correctly one of the versions stipulated this performance was from Warsaw; would love to see Anna Maria Jopek accompany the Pat Metheny Unity Band if they get him to come to Boise this summer:

Pat Metheny & Anna Maria Jopek-Are you going with me?
video by ibs11
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#4 Apr 11, 2014
One more...AMJ is ultra-beautiful in this video (David Bowie originated the tune and sings it on the 'The Falcon and the Snowman' soundtrack I think--haven't ever listened to his version nor viewed the film though):

Anna Maria Jopek and Pat Metheny - This is not America
video by czikken88
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#5 Apr 11, 2014
One of my most favorite videos of all-time; they now have it reposted for some reason--only 20 views on this one so far--the other one had close to 5,000 viewswhich is pretty good for these old French videos:

Jocelyne Jocya La pluie et le vent
video by Frédéric Courtois
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#6 Apr 11, 2014
Right up there with La pluie et le vent:

Jocelyne JOCYA Que l'amour me pardonne
video by jean-marie puigmal

--so very fabulous, just can't get over how enjoyable these old Jocelyne Jocya songs are. Only recently discovered her on YouTube about three months ago. One of my most very favorite of all.
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#7 Apr 11, 2014
Jaco Pastorius solo : live 1976
video by rick suchow
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#8 Apr 11, 2014
It doesn't get any better than this:

Jocelyne JOCYA Par ce cri
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#9 Apr 12, 2014
Just found another fabulous song by Jocelyne Jocya (these album covers crack me up):

Jocelyne JOCYA Ton adieu
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#10 Apr 12, 2014
Ton adieu is beautiful.
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#11 Apr 12, 2014
He ends this one on a funny note, has his hair in cornrows in the photo; the comment at the start of the video is one of many I keep running across when viewing his videos on YouTube showing Pastorious must have been highly admired:

Jaco Pastorius - Seventh Avenue Solo (unreleased) 1981
video by rick suchow
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#12 Apr 12, 2014
Fantastic clip...unsure what happens to Jocelyne Jocya, if she makes a mistake or if she breaks down personally moved by the songs lyrics partway through the song; whichever, she makes a great recovery, ending strong and visibly emotional:

Jocelyne Jocya "Paris Méditerranée"
video by Ina Chansons
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#13 Apr 12, 2014
That's a special video...Jocelyne Jocya gives indication with her eyes something is wrong moments before she covers her face with her hands. It may have been a mistake on her part somehow, it's hard to tell especially without knowing French. But her recovery and the way she sings the song to the end is quite moving; her face begins to tremble with emotion towards the end (in "Paris Mediterranee").
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#14 Apr 13, 2014
Looks like this was only posted 7 days ago...the images that go with it are hilarious....must be Jocelyne Jocya when she was just starting out...again, I don't know French so unsure what the song is about, but the title translates online as "Black Boat":

Jocelyne JOCYA Barco negro
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#15 Apr 13, 2014
I had the 7th and 8th views on that...great sounding song...from the film "Lovers of Days" or "Lovers To Take" (when translated online it first came out "Lovers of Floor" but that didn't make since, so tried the words separately and Lovers of Days and Lovers To Take came up; hard to know what the title actually is)...but that image of Jocelyne Jocya holding the guitar while wearing that hat (playing for the BBC according to the microphone) cracks me up.
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#16 Apr 14, 2014
Just translated online the word "black" for French and it is "noir", not "negro". So that title, from 1955 must have been referring to black as in people, maybe the film was about Africans on a boat, maybe North Africans from Tangier? A wild guess, but recall when visiting Tangier, Morocco in 1984 it had much French history from when the French occupied it decades before. Many of the streets still have French names. And the term "negro" may not have had the negative connotation it took on here in the U.S. due to our history of social injustice against African-Americans. Wonder if it's still in use in France? Studying French a little bit, I'm too often totally lost when trying to figure songs meanings on YouTube.
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#17 Apr 14, 2014
Here she is in photo's with Sammy Davis Jr. and looks like either the Commodores or maybe Earth, Wind and Fire (?):

Jocelyne JOCYA

Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#18 Apr 14, 2014
Pat metheny cites Wes Montgomery as a major influence on his playing, especially 'Smokin' at the Half Note'; I like that and his perfromances at Ronnie Scott's in London (I have his CD of those)....

Wes Montgomery - Here's That Rainy Day - Live London 1965
video by saag111

--again although Wiki is often unraeliable, they sometimes have good info; a comment below this video refers to Wes playing with his thumb, but on his Wiki page it includes a quote by George Benson explaining not only did he play with his thumb, but it was effective because he had a corn on it. Haven't seen that anywhere else but on Wiki....
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#19 Apr 14, 2014
lol...that's pretty funny. Just found this one (a video from when when France Gall was just starting out):

France Gall - 1969 - Le coeur qui jazze (Stéréo HQ)
video by Claudus1943
Bruce Deile

Boise, ID

#20 Apr 14, 2014
Another very funny one--even sooner--from 1963 (the one above is from 1965); this is before France Gall bleached her hair; recall finding this video awhile back, it's a really good one:

France Gall - Pense à moi (1963)(Restaurée)
video by Claudus1943

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anchorage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Troopers: Vehicle thief abandoned young child i... Thu ALASKA 1
News Proposals may double gasoline tax to aid budget... Feb 1 TRUMP ADMENSTRUATION 1
News Sarah Palin's Son Track Arrested for Punching a... Jan 30 Ritual Habitual 17
News Weidner Properties may owe you money - KTVA (May '08) Jan 30 not happy 36
News Insanity plea for Christopher Erin Rogers Junio... (Mar '08) Jan 26 American01 14
Soprano Actress: "Lyme Disease" = MS Jan 26 Chris Deile 3
News Sarah Palin's son charged with domestic violence Jan 25 Chris Deile 31
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anchorage Mortgages