First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#1 Dec 17, 2013
Letter to the Editor:

A 12/15 ADN letter promoting Al-Anon erroneously states it is "nonreligious". Al-Anon is an offshoot of Alcoholics Anonymous; AA's literature includes the following quotes by doctors William D. Silkworth and Harry M. Tiebout depicting a religious context:“…under these conditions the patient turns to religion with an entire willingness and readily accepts, without reservation, a simple religious proposal”; “Considering the presence of the religious factor”; “Because of this initial confidence, identical experience, and the fact that the discussion is pitched on moral and religious grounds…”; “…it is paramount to note that the religious factor is all important even from the beginning…”; “Alcoholics Anonymous is the name applied to a group of ex-alcoholics who, through a therapeutic program which a definite religious element…”; “…found an answer to his drinking problem in a personal religious experience" ('AA Comes of Age', pgs. 304-309)

Furthermore, it's bad religion. AA insists members "let go absolutely". However, Jesus Christ did not let go absolutely when baptized by John or else he would not have struggeld in the Garden of Gethsemene. Etc.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#2 Dec 17, 2013
Had to close with "Etc.", since they only allow 175 words and that was the 175th.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#3 Dec 17, 2013
And unfortunately, due to lack of space, unable to get in the important point that DWI carnage continues despite decades of court ordered AA, that far more severe laws are needed to deter drunk driving.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#4 Dec 17, 2013
Oooops....only now proof read my letter submission. Don't know what's wrong lately, but writing very sloppily. That first sentence might be bad grammar. It sounds like I'm saying the 12/15 letter is "nonreligious" instead of what was meant that Al-Anon is stated to be nonreligious. I'll resubmit the letter correcting that.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#5 Dec 17, 2013
Resubmitted:

A 12/15 ADN letter promoting Al-Anon asserts Al-Anon is "nonreligious". Al-Anon is an offshoot of Alcoholics Anonymous; AA's literature includes the following quotes by doctors William D. Silkworth and Harry M. Tiebout depicting a religious context:“…under these conditions the patient turns to religion with an entire willingness and readily accepts, without reservation, a simple religious proposal”; “Considering the presence of the religious factor”; “Because of this initial confidence, identical experience, and the fact that the discussion is pitched on moral and religious grounds…”; “…it is paramount to note that the religious factor is all important even from the beginning…”; “Alcoholics Anonymous is the name applied to a group of ex-alcoholics who, through a therapeutic program which a definite religious element…”; “…found an answer to his drinking problem in a personal religious experience" ('AA Comes of Age', pgs. 304-309)

Furthermore, it's bad religion. AA insists members "let go absolutely". However, Jesus Christ did not let go absolutely when baptized by John or else He would not have struggled in the Garden of Gethsemene. Etc.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#6 Dec 18, 2013
AA/Al-Anon Traditions: "program of attraction not promotion"
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#7 Dec 18, 2013
Very, very funny. Got to put this up here too (apparently it's the blues/gospel song "It Must Be Jesus" according to a comment under the video):

YouTube

GILLIAN HILLS e il complesso RICHARD BENNET
video by giuser
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#8 Dec 18, 2013
I'll put this one up too--unrelated to the topic but it's a good video too and just found it yesterday:

En écoutant la pluie # Rhythm of the rain - Sylvie Vartan (1963)
video by bichnhu08
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#9 Dec 18, 2013
Okay, yeah, the comments below the Gilian Hills video explain it began as "It Must Be Jesus" (blues/gospel), then was turned into a soul song by Ray Charles and then Bobby Darin.

Unsure what note Gillian Hills hits at 2:00, but the earplugs almost fell out of my ears. Other than that, an awesome video! Love it.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#10 Dec 18, 2013
Never benn able to get on the Sylvie Vartan bandwagon--she was so popular--but can't imagine a better cover of Rhythm of the Rain than hers in French.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#11 Dec 18, 2013
Love that Sylvie Vartan video--En écoutant la pluie # Rhythm of the rain - Sylvie Vartan (1963)--so great having a woman sing the song instead of the original sung by a man, and it being in French makes it all the better. Her inetrview is outstanding though i don't know what it means not knowing French.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#12 Dec 19, 2013
I think the first submission may have been okay. That first sentence seemed like it might have been poor grammar so I revised it but it may have been okay on second thought. Interested to see if they publish it. Christianity Today published a letter of mine years ago but they won't publish any of my submissions about AA (that are similar to this one).
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#13 Dec 19, 2013
I remember this one...found it like five years ago....it's a good one...funny:

Sylvie Vartan - Et pourtant je reste là
video by Laurent Decamps
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#14 Dec 19, 2013
lol; that is pretty funny....Here's a better video of same:

Sylvie Vartan - Et pourtant je reste là- HD
video by Alsacienneify
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#15 Dec 19, 2013
Just listened to Miranda Martino again--was loyal to Dalida's video (of O Sole Mio) for so long, love it so much, but this is truly fabulous:

O sole mio Miranda Martino .wmv orquesta di Ennio Morricone
Carlos Rangel·957 videos
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#16 Dec 19, 2013
In the Sylvie Vartan - Et pourtant je reste là- HD video you can see the space between her two front teeth. That's one of my favorite things when viewing these video; Gigliola Cinquetti (among numerous others) had it most noticebale in her early videos--as she got older it became less visible.
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#17 Dec 19, 2013
This is pretty entertaining....they interrupt her singing to hold an impromptu interview....Sylvie Vartan was so popular that I've avoided viewing her videos for these past five years, but have to admit she has some really good videos:

Sylvie Vartan enregistre à New York (1964)
video by MrNonosse1
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#18 Dec 20, 2013
Just found this--it's relly good--higher pitch than Renata Mauro's version (though i love that one too--it's very enjoyable--video by texvinrot):

Te voglio bene assaje Anna German.wmv
video by anna barbara
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#19 Dec 21, 2013
This is good--Sylvie Vartan was definitely very pretty-- though the ultra-closeups are a bit much--we are not used to them like Europe is:

Sylvie Vartan - La plus belle pour aller danser (1965)
video by sarkdit·
Chris Deile

Tucson, AZ

#20 Dec 21, 2013
Just figured out Deborah Harry's (Blondie) punk rock persona was quite likely a parody of Sylvie Vartan's popularity in particular. Coincidentally, I served Deborah Harry room service here in Tucson back in 1993.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anchorage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
And Now, An Episode Of 'The Wasilla Hillbillies' 2 hr Cordwainer Trout 8
Vaness Paradis: Mt. Baker Theater? 17 hr Bruce Deile 6
Vanessa Paradis: "Les Cactus" Sep 13 Bruce Deile 15
Last Post Wins!!! (Apr '11) Sep 10 In-Like-Flynn 1,870
Does Anyone Here Know Etrulia Byrd? (Sep '13) Sep 9 Wait-----what 3
Vanessa Paradis--The Best of Modern Day Singers Sep 4 CB Deile 17
Marijuana and Jerry Garcia; My Letter Published Sep 4 CB Deile 3
•••
•••

Anchorage Jobs