Posted in the Anchorage Forum

CB Deile

Boise, ID

#1 Apr 24, 2014
USAF website:

Air Force reminds Airmen to avoid hemp seed products

/ Published August 29, 2013

WASHINGTON (AFNS)--
Recent news reports on the Air Force’s prohibition of a popular yogurt brand spotlighted a regulation, in effect since the late 1990s, aimed at ensuring military readiness.

Recently, military members were told to avoid a Chobani yogurt called “Blueberry Power Chobani Flip” because it contains hemp seeds and walnuts that can be mixed into the yogurt.

Chobani since stated they will remove the ingredient from this product, according to the Air Force Surgeon General’s office.

“The Air Force has a long-standing policy in place that prohibits military members from ingesting any product, regardless of manufacturer, that contains or is derived from hemp seed or hemp seed oil,” said Capt. Adam Koudelka, legal advisor for the Air Force Drug Testing Laboratory, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.“Military members are not prohibited from ingesting other products not containing or derived from hemp seed or hemp seed oil.”

The prohibition is explained in Air Force Instruction 44-120, paragraph 1.1.5, as well as AFI 44-121, paragraph 3.2.2, which states,“Studies have shown that products made with hemp seed and hemp seed oil may contain varying levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), an active ingredient of marijuana which is detectable under the Air Force Drug Testing Program. In order to ensure military readiness, the ingestion of products containing or products derived from hemp seed or hemp seed oil is prohibited.”

Captain Koudelka emphasized each military member is individually responsible for ensuring he or she is compliant with this policy, and failure to do so is a violation of Article 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

If an Airman is found to have consumed hemp seeds or oil, they can be punished for disobeying the regulation, according to Gregory Girard, deputy director of administrative law, Office of the Judge Advocate General.

Reading labels is the best practice, because the ingredient can be contained in myriad products available in health food stores and throughout consumer markets.

“Air Force military members should be mindful that products containing hemp seeds can be found at health food stores, including health food stores and commissaries located on military bases, and therefore the best policy for Airmen to follow is to be vigilant about what they put into their body,” Koudelka said. A good practice is to read product labels prior to consumption to see whether the product contains hemp seed or hemp seed oil.

(Courtesy Office of the Air Force Surgeon General)
CB Deile

Boise, ID

#2 Apr 24, 2014
Mentioned on other thread how the drug dealers never told me that if you smoke marijuana you will not be able to join the Air Force. I found out when the USAF rejected me after I became clean and sober. They asked and I was honest about past marijuana use, and they said that alone was reason to be disqualified. That was 1985; have searched it online and it's still about the same--even a small amount of past history of marijuana use will disqualify a person from the USAF.

Unless of course it becomes as popular as alcohol. Then the USAF will have no choice but to lower its standards. Imagine if they rejected all applicants with a past history of alcohol use. They wouldn't have too many. If "recreational" marijuana becomes as popular....
CB Deile

Boise, ID

#3 Apr 24, 2014
They were giving out free samples of hemp food products at Whole Foods in Boise over the weekend; those products are presently displayed near the checkout stands (within arms reach of compulsive purchasing). I almost had one of their samples this weekend--glad I looked at the ingredients. Have been eating regularly at Whole Foods since they seemed above all that unlike Health Food co-ops where one might be more likely to see marijuana laced food distributed. But I don't need that at all, I don't want to relapse on marijuana (after being away from it over 28 years) due to local food stores pushing it to the unwary consumer.
CB Deile

Boise, ID

#4 Apr 24, 2014
Wow...(above): The prohibition is explained in Air Force Instruction 44-120, paragraph 1.1.5, as well as AFI 44-121, paragraph 3.2.2, which states,“Studies have shown that products made with hemp seed and hemp seed oil may contain varying levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), an active ingredient of marijuana which is detectable under the Air Force Drug Testing Program. In order to ensure military readiness, the ingestion of products containing or products derived from hemp seed or hemp seed oil is prohibited.”

And I hadn't even realized it was that serious--assumed hemp was fairly harmless in that form--hadn't known it actually may contain THC.
CB Deile

Boise, ID

#5 Apr 24, 2014
Above:

"Reading labels is the best practice, because the ingredient can be contained in myriad products available in health food stores and throughout consumer markets."

--While given out as free samples like at Whole Foods in Boise this weekend. How close I came to eating that sample, and then thought at last moment to read ingredients of what they were offering. Whew!
CB Deile

Boise, ID

#6 Apr 24, 2014
"myriad products"

Lovely.
CB Deile

Boise, ID

#7 Apr 24, 2014
THIS INFORMATION SHOULD BE MADE COMMON KNOWLEDGE IN RECOVERY SUPPORT GROUPS....PEOPLE COULD RELAPSE.
CB Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#8 May 19, 2014
Michèle Torr - Ce soir je t'attendais (1966).

video by MrNonosse1·1,080 videos
CB Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#9 May 19, 2014
That video is a new version; love her 1966 eurovision perfromance of that sone.
CB Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#10 May 19, 2014
That new video is awesome--one of my very favorite songs of all time.
Chris Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#11 May 20, 2014
I should have put marijuana in the title of this thread--not everyone knows hemp/marijuana related.
Chris Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#12 May 20, 2014
I don't understand French, but this is a nice video that came up with the new video version of Michele Torr's 'Ce Soir je T'Attendais" (her 1966 Eurovision performance had same song):

Michèle Torr et sa petite fille Nina .

video by France Dimanche·24 videos
Chris Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#13 May 20, 2014
That should say above:

Michele Torr et sa petite fille Nina

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anchorage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mathe Altery Interview! 14 hr Chris Deile 20
An Obscure Sylvie Vartan Video (1965) 15 hr Chris Deile 10
Last Post Wins!!! (Apr '11) 16 hr Sharlene45 2,723
Facebook [email protected] (Sep '16) Sat ficoisaac 17
News Troopers seek Anchorage man who fled in Sterling Apr 21 The one 1
Great article: "The Bear Man of McNeil River" Apr 20 Chris Deile 21
Review: Eyemart Express (Apr '13) Apr 19 NeedsGlasses 13

Anchorage Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance