Anaktuvuk Pass

There are 1 comment on the Anchorage Daily News story from May 28, 2006, titled Anaktuvuk Pass. In it, Anchorage Daily News reports that:

Published: May 28, 2006 Last Modified: May 28, 2006 at 01:06 AM ANAKTUVUK PASS POPULATION: 300 LOCATION: At 2,200 feet elevation on the divide between the Anaktuvuk and John rivers in the central Brooks Range.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Anchorage Daily News.

lOIS PELLEGRINO

Torrington, CT

#1 Aug 19, 2006
We visited with Cyrus as our guide, at Anaktuvuk Pass. The children that attend the three-year old school are supposed to get their own computers in September. The school has all new equipment for the grades K through 12.

We arrived at 1000H. The population was asleep until 1500H when the sun came out and so did the residents. The post office got very busy for a short time. Lunch was provided in the restaurant, a room about 20 x20'painted white with 4 wooden tables about 2 x 5', each sat 4 people. The restaurant was closed, it was Monday; they left our sandwich, fruit, potato chips and a chocolate bar in the refrig for us. Cyrus' neice mans the ranger station when the ranger is not there. She is well-informed and shared much of her knowledge with us.
We enjoyed listening as she was very interesting and pleased to be with us.

Most of the children have bicycles, there are snow mobiles, 3 cars, an ambulance, a firehouse, a water company, a grocery store, a post office, a rescue squad and a most wonderful museum.

If I had not seen and heard it with my own eyes and ears, I would not have believed that these people were happy living here.

Most of the older residents are staying. The 20 year olds are looking forward to moving to Fairbanks and then further away, as they want more of a life with a future.

I spent two weeks in Alaska and being at the Pass was my most exciting and eye-awakening. It was certainly a learning experience for me. LoisP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anaktuvuk Pass Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
News Looking Back in Fairbanks - June 11 (Aug '10) Aug '10 Eric 1
News The Fabulous Frogsicle - Natural Alaska (Nov '08) Nov '08 arctic lady 1
News Above Arctic Circle, road trips rare and extreme (Mar '07) Mar '07 Eugene M Pleban 1

Anaktuvuk Pass Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anaktuvuk Pass Mortgages