Parents at Upland Christian Schools d...

Parents at Upland Christian Schools distraught over speculation

There are 139 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Oct 2, 2008, titled Parents at Upland Christian Schools distraught over speculation. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

Parents of students at Upland Christian schools say they are frantic over speculation that the property will be sold to Western Christian Schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
A UCHS Parent

North Hollywood, CA

#1 Oct 2, 2008
What this article does not make clear is that our church was never "in crisis". Our schools have never been "in crisis" either. Pastor Kratz came into this church, secretly brokered this deal, kept the entire deal from the church board and school board, and never let-on that he was here to sell us out. THAT is what this article should say! The parents, students, school board, and church board were blind sided. Pastor Kratz and Ray Doane have sold us out in more than one way.
Former Student

Covina, CA

#2 Oct 2, 2008
Exactly! So why is it that the church can be declared "in crisis" when the criteria for being in crisis were not met. I believe there are 2 conditions that are needed for this to be true and neither have been met.
Does the district have some fine print so that they can take control of any church and do whatever they want regardless of the church's condition?
Another parent

North Hollywood, CA

#3 Oct 2, 2008
First, we love our school and the staff at our school. We do not want to see this deal go through. The pain and anger our students our feeling right now can be seen on their faces. This was the work of very few but it has hurt many. I don't believe Western Christian even knew what they were getting involved in and I don't blame them. This was done by two greedy, sneaky people that have clearly lost their way.
Bob B

Beaverton, OR

#4 Oct 2, 2008
Sandra, this article is fear-soaked and you know it. You don't even mention the grant/bond that Western Christian received, or any of the facts behind Dr. Ray Doane and Eldon Kratz.
For the online world, this is the truth behind the article.
"Frantic fear-soaked journalism leads to watered-down story not informing the public of anything"
How's that for a headline.
You want the actual story, here it is.
"Corrupt Church Leadership brokers illegal sale of city landmark, Upland Christian Schools"
Nazarene Anaheim District Superintendent Ray Doane is the mastermind church monster appropriated to the likes of all the other church scandals that have ever taken place. In coordination with Rev. Eldon Kratz, they are destroying years of hundreds of families investments in Upland Christian Schools. Overnight the word was leaked of the sale of Upland Christian Schools (UCS) to Western Christian. While this is still unconfirmed, the circumstances surrounding this are very confirmed.
Simply stated, Rev. Kratz issued a statement to the faculty of UCS stating that they would be terminated ON THE SPOT if they were caught talking to anybody about the issue.(Anybody care to chime in on the legal aspect of that). There has been speculation as to the whether the faculty was pressured into signing an affidavit or not, still unconfirmed.
****Here's what you all want to know, the truth behind Upland First Church*****
In a nutshell, the church has been financially broke for many years. Through series of pastoral changes the church congregation has dwindled to a mere handful and they cannot pay there pays (they haven't been able to for many years). They have effectively twisted their agreement with UCS to suck the life and blood out of the schools finances to pay the church expenses. While the school and church operate as separate entities, they are essentially owned by the church. Since the church can no longer pay it's bills and the Anaheim Nazarene District needs more funding, they (Dr. Doane and Eldon Kratz) decided to broker off the school to a yet unnamed third party. However the only way this is possible is by Dr. Doane declaring the church in a "time of crisis" which (it did not meet the stipulations for time of crisis). Nonetheless it was done, effectively dissolving the church board, and releasing the pastor of his senior pastor position making Dr. Doane the commander in chief. Dr. Doane makes the calls and the final decisions, and can sell the school at his discretion. ALL OF THIS WAS DONE BEHIND THE BACKS OF HUNDREDS OF FAMILIES, SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION, CHURCH ADMINISTRATION, AND THE CHURCH CONGREGATION!!!
Please feel free to email [email protected] s.com and ask her to fully cover the story and find out the facts!!
X-Nazarene

United States

#5 Oct 2, 2008
I went to that church for years, grew up there. One of my favorite people there was Pastor Peterman, he always treated my family with respect and kindness. As I got older I saw how the church was changing and how people would use and take advantage of others. The church never had the money to build a school, how many years did it take them to finally finish the construction, at least ten? Anyways, hearing abou this doesnt surprise me at all. I feel bad for the families that invested so much into the school and church. In reality though if its not a God thing then it wont happen. People have the misconception of they will just do it and God will bless it, well thats not the case. Dont you think that if they put God first in this decision that the church would be blessed with more members to help pay for the school? I can use my current church as an example. We just paid off twenty acres in cash for new construction in 9 months. To me that was first and foremost only a God thing, we couldnt and wouldnt have done it if our prayers werent answered. I wish you guys luck in this stressful time.
Sandra

United States

#6 Oct 2, 2008
I understand that there is a lot more speculation surrounding the schools, but I cannot write an article based on rumor or speculation. If any of you have confirmed and factual knowledge of the situation about the school e-mail me. I can include only confirmed information, but it seems like there isn't much of that going around - and you must be willing to go on the record.

on a side note: the name of the church is Upland First Church of the Nazarene not Upland Christian Church which was incorrect in the article. I apologize for the confusion.

Thank you.
Judy

Pasadena, CA

#7 Oct 2, 2008
The person that passed away that owned Upland Lumbar requested that it go to Upland Christian School so a High School could be built. What about his will and his family? Is this legal cause it sure is not moral.
I wonder if the family can claim it back. If I were them I would.
This must make them sick. Someone needs to do an in depth investigation of this pastor and quick. Anyone at the school that is or related to someone in that field needs to get cracking. God only knows how many other things he has shut down. What is he going to do with the money? Yacht? Mansion?
Find his house and picket since he refuses to talk and show his face. Call tv stations get coverage. If this guy is corrupt lets find out and air it to all.
WesternChristian Info

Beaverton, OR

#8 Oct 2, 2008
If you want more info, email Western Christian Schools Superintendent. She should be fully aware of the entire situation and since she is the superintendent of CHRISTIAN school I am sure that she will be willing to do the CHRISTIAN thing....(how much more shame will be brought upon on the CHRISTIAN name by people such and Karen Winter, Eldon Kratz, and Ray Doane)
KAREN WINTER
[email protected]
X-Nazarene

United States

#9 Oct 2, 2008
Judy wrote:
The person that passed away that owned Upland Lumbar requested that it go to Upland Christian School so a High School could be built. What about his will and his family? Is this legal cause it sure is not moral.
I wonder if the family can claim it back. If I were them I would.
This must make them sick. Someone needs to do an in depth investigation of this pastor and quick. Anyone at the school that is or related to someone in that field needs to get cracking. God only knows how many other things he has shut down. What is he going to do with the money? Yacht? Mansion?
Find his house and picket since he refuses to talk and show his face. Call tv stations get coverage. If this guy is corrupt lets find out and air it to all.
That right Judy, I completely forgot about Upland Lumber (I remember my dad taking me there as a kid riding around the wood carts) anyways, still the fact remains that even 20 years ago the church didnt have the money to fund a private school and I think the deal was to start a school to help with the income of the church, etc. I wonder if Pastor Wiseman (who is now here in Boise, the pastor of a HUGE Nazarene church) knows anything about this. I would say try and contact him regarding the history of the school.
Darla

Chino, CA

#10 Oct 2, 2008
Great points! If the Nazarene board wanted out from under ther responsibilities, they could have come to the school and church boards, as well as the parents, and we could have worked together toward independence or resolution. The fact that they did all this in secret is underhanded. I'm sure that WCHS is not out to hurt UCS, but they sure wouldn't like it if the same were done to them. Nazarene Board and WCHS - come out and tell us the truth!
abc

AOL

#11 Oct 2, 2008
why can't i read the comments?
X-Nazarene

San Antonio, TX

#12 Oct 2, 2008
abc wrote:
why can't i read the comments?
I dont know :)
Mom at Upland Christian

Upland, CA

#13 Oct 2, 2008
I have a daughter at Upland Christian School and can not relate to anyone and everyone who is listening the outrage at this entire situation. I have had no notice of this sale until this last Monday, Sept. 29 and have no doubt that not only is this an obvious abuse of one man's power and the absolute opposite to anything Christian or relating to the will of God I have ever seen that if this is the Church of the Nazarene's Idea of Christianity I am more that dissapointed and they should be ashamed of themselves. I understand so little about the details of this entire transaction, timelines, etc., that the fear, anger and frustration caused to not only the families, the students and the deticated staff and faculty of Upland Christian Schools it breaks my heart to see this unjustice. To think that the district in Anaheim has no idea what the faces of the children and parents who have no other desire than to have a Safe,Christian and educational environment is now in jepordy of being taken way, it breaks my heart. Something must be done. This has been a school for 30 years and to see that 3 generations of my family have been educated and grown in their faith and communities is now threatened to be erased is nothing short of a tragedy that will anyone be willing to fight for. Well I am and will. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
abc

AOL

#14 Oct 3, 2008
trouble
X-Nazarene

United States

#15 Oct 3, 2008
Mom at Upland Christian wrote:
I have a daughter at Upland Christian School and can not relate to anyone and everyone who is listening the outrage at this entire situation. I have had no notice of this sale until this last Monday, Sept. 29 and have no doubt that not only is this an obvious abuse of one man's power and the absolute opposite to anything Christian or relating to the will of God I have ever seen that if this is the Church of the Nazarene's Idea of Christianity I am more that dissapointed and they should be ashamed of themselves. I understand so little about the details of this entire transaction, timelines, etc., that the fear, anger and frustration caused to not only the families, the students and the deticated staff and faculty of Upland Christian Schools it breaks my heart to see this unjustice. To think that the district in Anaheim has no idea what the faces of the children and parents who have no other desire than to have a Safe,Christian and educational environment is now in jepordy of being taken way, it breaks my heart. Something must be done. This has been a school for 30 years and to see that 3 generations of my family have been educated and grown in their faith and communities is now threatened to be erased is nothing short of a tragedy that will anyone be willing to fight for. Well I am and will. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Well said "mom" except for the school being around for 30 years. I would have been 6 then and I can tell you growing up at that church there was no thoughts at that time putting a school there. Upland Lumber was still going strong at that point. Now 30 years at the church I can understand if you are talking about Sunday school and what not. The private school has only been around since maybe 1990 but I dont think the construction was even finished yet. Can anyone confirm this? I know the school opened up prior to the construction being finished but I cant remember the exact date.
Mom at Upland Christian

Sherman Oaks, CA

#16 Oct 3, 2008
The elementary school opened in 1978 and was called at the time 9th Street Christian. The high school perhaps you are talking about was opened in 1997 I believe.
Alumna

Redlands, CA

#17 Oct 3, 2008
There are so many people being affected by the situation going on between Upland Christian and Western Christian. Anyone who was at Upland Christian Schools (UCS) this morning can tell you how many pained faces there were to be seen. It is not only the sale of the actual property that has been affecting the faculty, parents, students, former students, etc. but the sale of the enviornment that is seen, felt, and experienced by those people connected with UCS.I went to UCS from 8th grade to 12th grade, and grew up with almost all the same people- it was like having a family. Everyone knew everyone in their grade (and most in other grades) and there was some kind of connection. UCS had a great impact on my growing closer to God, which is what Christian education is supposed to be about. If anything, I wish the school to stay intact and be able to supply this type of Christian enviornment to future and current students. However, if this does not happen, we need to remember that God is everywhere- no matter how hard things seem, there is always a purpose and He will get us through. (Job's Test of faith...) Keep you heads up, keep standing up for this small yet potent school, and keep this situation in your prayers- for it to work out the way GOD wants it to.
Judy

San Jose, CA

#18 Oct 3, 2008
The letter said the church is the legal owner of all the school. If that is so they can do what they will with the property. For that matter they could have sold it to a Imam and turned it into a Mosque. This has nada to do with God and every thing to do with the $$$$$$$. Should the school fight this and win by some miracle how will they be able to reconcile with these people? Can trust ever be restored and should it? If they win they should severe the ties to that church period and form another tie to a better
more upright sect. Sell the church since it is got a low membership and not producing income for that fat cat in Anaheim. Keep the money producing schools. But I guess financially no one wants to buy a losing item and forgo the money maker.
Too bad it is not Pastor Glen Gunderson from the Baptist Church buying it. His kids went to that school and he was a very sincere Godly man.
X-Nazarene

United States

#19 Oct 3, 2008
Mom at Upland Christian wrote:
The elementary school opened in 1978 and was called at the time 9th Street Christian. The high school perhaps you are talking about was opened in 1997 I believe.
Ok sorry for being out of the loop a bit on my dates. I remember now they did build a few building just south of the sanctuary, was that the elementary school? I remember when I was younger my older brother helped paint that building.
Part of the UCS Family

Santa Ana, CA

#21 Oct 3, 2008
Let me start off by saying that God is in control, and I am so grateful that He is because He always works things for good. The situation here at Upland Chrsitian is definitely not desirable. Besides the fact that most of the staff and families are sickened by the fact that a pastor would use fraudulant information about a school that he was supposed to be taking care of, what is most upsetting is that not only did the district board and pastor negelct their duties to do what is best for the school, but they have what seems like zero consideration for the students and staff at UCS. I can understand that if the pastor was upset that he might want to dissolve the relationship between the school and the church, but I would assume that he (being a pastor) would want everything to be done in a Christian manner. Up till now the whole process has been done with secrecy and lies. If everything that the board and pastor has been doing is God's will why do they need to keep it hidden? The truth is synonymous with the light. So why if everything that the board is doing is truthful have all the negotions been in the dark? Why the secrecy? Please keep this situation in prayer. Those of us at UCS have been trying our hardest to work through this situation in a manner that would bring glory to Christ, but it is very hard when we have been given almost no information from the board or the pastor. Let me reassure everyone who is reading this article and the comments that Upland Christian is one of the most amazing schools to ever exist. That sounds bold, but it is most certainly true. The FAMILY that works and attends here is one of the most accepting and loving I have ever had the privilege of witnessing. God is loved and worshipped at this school, and becasue of that I know He will bless this campus. God Bless!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anaheim Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anthropologists Investigate Human Remains Found... 5 hr Luis Ortega 1
News More than 1,000 backpacks, school supplies give... (Aug '10) 6 hr heaven 15
News 106 dogs, cats and rabbits have new homes Jul 26 mar 1
Helping the homeless people at La Palma Park (Sep '12) Jul 25 Tony 161
News Honk: Are those 'Children at Play' signs legal? (Feb '11) Jul 23 What about this 107
News Orange teen inspired to help by her experiences Jul 19 mar 1
Anaheim is full of opportunities! (Apr '12) Jul 19 Tony 85

Anaheim Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anaheim Mortgages