THE REPORT: Rocky Shore

THE REPORT: Rocky Shore

There are 170 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Jun 6, 2009, titled THE REPORT: Rocky Shore. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Is Belmont Shore still the life of the party? Ask those who speak for one group of residents and they will tell you that quality of life is dreadful, that drunks leaving Second Street bars between midnight and 2 a.m. are engaging in behavior so boorish, dangerous and inappropriate that they no longer feel safe in some of the city's most expensive ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
JHZ

Seal Beach, CA

#1 Jun 7, 2009
I can tell you, I live in a different part of 90803, and even here the noise from drunks coming home from bars during those hours has gone up. I think overall there is an attitude of less responsiblity from those drinking. I can always tell when the bars around where I live start to close by the loud talking, yelling, laughing and even singing that occurs from people walking down the streets and in their apartments. It's impossible to call the cops because people are loud so what is the answer? It's sad people can't be more adult and control their behavior better. Major lack of consideration of people for their neighbors, especially if most of the people going to Second Street live in Long Beach.
Laurence Goodhue

Oceanside, CA

#2 Jun 7, 2009
'The fault dear Brutus is not in the starts,but in ourselves....."

For not just in the instant case of the unbecoming in Belmont
Shore,but in the near entire District-be it the Home Depot site;
Loynes and Studebaker; PCH and Second;Marine Stadium;SEA DIP;
we have placed at the at the center, one who is so void of understanding
of of the existence and import of the institutional history of our fair
hamlet.So lacking in the requisite DNA he has engendered disgust
and turmoil heretofore unseen.Like the small minded,vindictive Mayor
equally,destructively disconnected-his departure will be essential
to restoring this community to its once greatness.

Laurence B. Goodhue
Long Beacg


Mike Ruehle

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Jun 7, 2009
It’s 2:30 am on Sunday morning and I just finished checking out 2nd street bar closing again for the second night in a row. Similar to last Saturday night, if COUNCILMAN DELONG was walking the streets as he claims, I didn’t see him. Maybe he was protected in one of the many police cars patrolling the area.

I want to thank the Police Department for increasing their patrols of 2nd street at bar closing time. It has made a marked change in only one week. I estimate there are 30%- 50% less people on 2nd street at bar closing time this weekend compared to last weekend. It appears bar patrons are being more careful or avoiding the area due to the increased police presence. The cops are doing a fine job. I see them citing people for public intoxication and quickly moving to areas where large groups of people congregate.
Mike Ruehle

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Jun 7, 2009
Hello John Canalis,

A couple of factual mistakes. First, Legends reopened on December 1, 2007, not two years ago as you state. PT reporter Kelly Puente can verify it because she wrote an article promoting Legends reopening on December 2, 2007 titled Legends rises from the ashes.

Second, the murder at Yankee Doodles occurred on December 4, 2008, not a year ago. You should know John because you and Kelly Puente wrote an article on December 4, 2008 about how rare that event was. In fact, you quoted COUNCILMAN DELONG describing it as an anomaly and that there hadnt been a similar event in over ten years.

Oh, and by they way, you forgot to mention the person who got his throat slit in the knife fight outside Shorehouse Caf on 2nd street a year ago. I mentioned it to you but somehow that was left out.

Also, you quote Kurt Schneiter as saying he has lived in Belmont Shore for 20 years. That is incorrect. Kurt Schneiter lives in Belmont Heights.
Mike Ruehle

Pleasanton, CA

#5 Jun 7, 2009
Hey John,

You also forgot to mention the attempted kidnapping and robbery of a Belmont Shore woman on May 22, 2009. I'm pretty sure it was reported in your newspaper. If not, here's the link to the LBReport.com article.

http://www.lbreport.com/news/may09/belcarj.ht...
Spike

Scobey, MT

#7 Jun 7, 2009
90803 is the most desired zip code in LB? OMG, are people still defining themselves by their zip code? Wow, I'm so impressed, you weekly Vons junk mail is sent to you in 90803! Get a life people and buy some ear plugs while you are at it! You got a problem with loud drunks walking home? They are your neighbors, deal with it!
John

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Jun 7, 2009
Mike Ruehle wrote:
Hello John Canalis,
A couple of factual mistakes. First, Legends reopened on December 1, 2007, not two years ago as you state. PT reporter Kelly Puente can verify it because she wrote an article promoting Legends reopening on December 2, 2007 titled Legends rises from the ashes.
Second, the murder at Yankee Doodles occurred on December 4, 2008, not a year ago. You should know John because you and Kelly Puente wrote an article on December 4, 2008 about how rare that event was. In fact, you quoted COUNCILMAN DELONG describing it as an anomaly and that there hadnt been a similar event in over ten years.
Oh, and by they way, you forgot to mention the person who got his throat slit in the knife fight outside Shorehouse Caf on 2nd street a year ago. I mentioned it to you but somehow that was left out.
Also, you quote Kurt Schneiter as saying he has lived in Belmont Shore for 20 years. That is incorrect. Kurt Schneiter lives in Belmont Heights.
Story has been corrected. I changed two years ago to 18 months ago and will run a correction in tomorrow's paper.

As far as the shooting near Yankee Doodles. the story says "last year," meaning 2008, not "a year ago," so I am going to leave that one alone.
Dont know jack but

Huntington Beach, CA

#11 Jun 7, 2009
Drunken louts walk down my street talking loudly and disturbing my peace here in the 90803 but I'd much rather have that than the other crimes that take place in other less affluent zips in the city.
Also, does anyone else see cause and effect at work that Mr. Ruehle sees 30 to 50% fewer people out at closing time AFTER the cops shoot someone on 2nd Street?
I'm just saying...
Agent Orange

Huntington Beach, CA

#12 Jun 7, 2009
This problem is not just in Belmont Shore.

The bars have to be state licensed to operated but if they are too near residences and a problem exists you can file

If the nusiance problem continues simply go over the city's heads and file a nusiance report with the ABC. If they get enough complaints they will investigate and eventually terminate the licquor license.

http://www.abc.ca.gov/forms/PDFCompl.html
LB City Girl

Long Beach, CA

#14 Jun 7, 2009
Thank you, John, this is a much more balanced article. It is more objective than the last one about Mike Ruehle, and it seeks out every side of the story.

One thing about the shore: I don't care what the stats say. I've lived in LB for nearly 30 years. The first ten were in my college days, working and playing in the Shore. The Shore is not the same as it used to be. It just isn't.

I never go there after about 8pm, especially on the weekends, because the crowd isn't just a bunch of frat boys like it used to be. Now a days it is full of people who look like they are gangsters and Hell's Angels. Maybe I just don't get today's fashions, but I think they appear to be real gangsters and bikers. I've seen scary and rude behavior just walking down the sidewalk. I'm afraid to take my kids to SuperMex and then walk the few blocks down Second to Rite Aid for ice cream after 8pm.

These "college kids" seem to have no respect for themselves, others, or others' properties. There is a basic "F-U" attitude that I don't remember my friends and I having in college. This is the crowd I see on Second Street after dark. And they were coming there from other parts of LB because they want a safer and cop-free zone to party in. It's interesting to note, if it's true that the crowd is smaller with policing--seems to suggest that the drinkers were going to Second because they knew there were no cops to bust them.

Perhaps, if we want to increase commerce on Pine we should take some police off the beat there, and the the thugs will start frequenting the bars on Pine again.
Quincy St Advocate

Westminster, CA

#15 Jun 7, 2009
The Police Commander's response to her implying she needs more officers is a wash. Long Beach has doubled it's police force in the las five years and crime overall is down. What's her excuse now?
I remember at one time, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department was in contract with the Northern part of the city and the police department had less than 500 officers.. Now with maybe over 900 officers, How can she say that she doesn't have the assets to curb the problems of 2nd street?
Mike Wilson

Alhambra, CA

#16 Jun 7, 2009
Mike--

You have been a VERY naughty boy. How DARE you criticize your representative! Don't you know that you are only supposed to grovel? Be grateful that such a talented,charismatic and powerful person as "The Sun King" DeLong grants you entrance to his presence. Now look at what has happened? The great God is no longer talking to you!
Take that BSRA! You elected this BAD man Mike, who works hard for free doing what you elected him to do. You are now going to be PUNISHED by SILENCE!

PS: Things have been pretty quiet here in Alamitos Beach as well. We just have to learn our place, Mike. Better we should sell cup cakes or plant flowers, or, I KNOW----lets ride our bikes!
Rick

Oxnard, CA

#19 Jun 7, 2009
I grew up in Long Beach and attended CSULB in the early 80's. I remember going to the Shore during that time period and it was always packed with people on Friday and Saturday nights. I didn't see the problems we have today. We never thought of urinated on peoples lawns, or having sex in front of their homes? Why, because we were taught to respect people's property.

In the mid 1980's, I was hired by L.B.P.D. and I worked the Shore. The sidewalks were so crowded with people, you could barely walk down them. This continued until the mid 90's. Still, we did not have that many problems. Sure, we would have fight calls here and there, but nothing major.

By the late 90's and this current decade, the crowds are not nearly as large as they use to be, but we are experiencing more problems. Why? In my opinion, it is the attitude of today's generation, also known as "Generation Next." They challenge authority, expect immediate satisfaction and they have an "It is always about me attitude." So, how to you change this generation's attitude? You can't and just hope the next generation does.
Rick

Oxnard, CA

#20 Jun 7, 2009
I meant urinating...
Pasadenan

Monrovia, CA

#22 Jun 7, 2009
Rick wrote:
I grew up in Long Beach and attended CSULB in the early 80's. I remember going to the Shore during that time period and it was always packed with people on Friday and Saturday nights. I didn't see the problems we have today. We never thought of urinated on peoples lawns, or having sex in front of their homes? Why, because we were taught to respect people's property.
In the mid 1980's, I was hired by L.B.P.D. and I worked the Shore. The sidewalks were so crowded with people, you could barely walk down them. This continued until the mid 90's. Still, we did not have that many problems. Sure, we would have fight calls here and there, but nothing major.
By the late 90's and this current decade, the crowds are not nearly as large as they use to be, but we are experiencing more problems. Why? In my opinion, it is the attitude of today's generation, also known as "Generation Next." They challenge authority, expect immediate satisfaction and they have an "It is always about me attitude." So, how to you change this generation's attitude? You can't and just hope the next generation does.
What's your point? Are you faulting the new generation for not having any respect to your little BSRA? It's happening everywhere, not just in LB. It's not just the young people, but the same people who are now in their 40s and 50s - who offen claim the good old way was better. I say, suck it up and co-live with the new urban life. If you are not happy, then sell your house and move on.
Mr Shore

Lake Elsinore, CA

#23 Jun 7, 2009
I find it odd that neither Councilman DeLong or Commander Renaud mention the huge police presence that has shown up on 2nd St in the last two weeks. It's probably because they both know it's not going to last.

Also, if you don't think this area has become a problem then why would the LBPD send 10+ patrol cars on Thurs-Sat to get a handle on the situation. Your police department thinks it requires 10+ Patrol cars to adequately police this area and make sure no problems occur.

Wow!
what an ass

Santa Monica, CA

#24 Jun 7, 2009
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Story has been corrected. I changed two years ago to 18 months ago and will run a correction in tomorrow's paper.
As far as the shooting near Yankee Doodles. the story says "last year," meaning 2008, not "a year ago," so I am going to leave that one alone.
You didn't "correct" it by mentioning the throat slitting incident, or the attempted kidnapping, and you didn't say why. Can the PT find another reporter in their ranks who isn't a complete tool?
get real

Santa Monica, CA

#25 Jun 7, 2009
Pasadenan wrote:
<quoted text>What's your point? Are you faulting the new generation for not having any respect to your little BSRA? It's happening everywhere, not just in LB. It's not just the young people, but the same people who are now in their 40s and 50s - who offen claim the good old way was better. I say,**** it up and co-live with the new urban life. If you are not happy, then sell your house and move on.
Belmont Shore isn't an urban center you ignorant fool. The fact is, anyone who has the slightest clue about Long Beach knows that once Belmont Shore goes down the tubes, like Pine Ave has, Long Beach is finished. You might as well just roll up the HUD trucks, and release the Welfarians.
Laurence Goodhue

Oceanside, CA

#27 Jun 7, 2009
Spike wrote:
90803 is the most desired zip code in LB? OMG, are people still defining themselves by their zip code? Wow, I'm so impressed, you weekly Vons junk mail is sent to you in 90803! Get a life people and buy some ear plugs while you are at it! You got a problem with loud drunks walking home? They are your neighbors, deal with it!
Spike: Go back in that special room of yours!!True,
there are some neighborhoods,where the the referenced low life conduct is a constant and
the norm.90803 and much of Long Beach is not.We
will not buy ear plugs.We will however fund more
bullets so the good LBPD can plug more of the
unbecoming when justified.

Laurence Goodhue
Long Beach
Ellen

Santa Monica, CA

#28 Jun 7, 2009
Whatever happens, keep your video camera batteries fully charged, and keep those YouTube videos coming!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anaheim Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Santa Ana jury convicts two men of gang-related... (Jul '07) 9 hr vic 1,159
Orange county milfs Mon 714jeff16 1
News YouTube makes virtual reality push with 360-deg... Jul 24 expertagrandissement 1
News Chino Man Arrested In Connection With Deadly OC... Jul 23 Kurtz 1
News Honk: Are those 'Children at Play' signs legal? (Feb '11) Jul 17 Thankful I live i... 90
Review: Atrium Windows (Mar '09) Jul 10 Susan 192
Poll Are the vatos from sskaka chirujos, ratas or ra... (Jun '10) Jul 8 vic 161
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anaheim Mortgages