Border Patrol activity at Anacortes t...

Border Patrol activity at Anacortes terminal questioned by Rep. Larson

There are 2 comments on the Tacoma Daily Index story from May 2, 2008, titled Border Patrol activity at Anacortes terminal questioned by Rep. Larson. In it, Tacoma Daily Index reports that:

“Pleased to see Congressman Larsen taking an aggressive interest in this issue”

Second District Congressman Rick Larsen forwarded a list of questions to U.S. Border Patrol Chief David Aguilar on Thursday as a follow up to a briefing he received in March about the Border Checkpoint at the ... via Tacoma Daily Index

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tacoma Daily Index.

Friday Harbor, WA

#1 May 2, 2008
I have a problem with the sporadic immigration checks because they remind me of places with far less freedoms than we enjoy in America. I have visited countries where soldiers stand on the side of the road and command citizens to pull over without probable cause. I have been pulled over. That experience left me extremely wary of any justification for this policy. This is my precious country, the land of the free.

I live in a democracy where conversations take place all the time about how to govern this land we love. People in less fortunate countries do not have this right. Their conversations must take place in secret with hushed tones and fearful glances.
Our democracy is a grand but fragile experiment, too easily taken away by the barrel of a gun.

Enterprise, AL

#2 Jul 27, 2008
The reason our democracy functions as well as it does (and granted, the past 7 years have been a challenge), is that we are a nation of laws. One such law is the immigration statute. The most recent major overhaul of immigration law included an amnesty based on the promise of our government that it would be the LAST amnesty, and that our borders would be controlled. That was 1986. Miliions more than estiamted took advantage of that amnesty. Now another 20 million illegal immigrants are here, providing submarket labor to unethical businesses. I have no problem whatsoever with enforcing our immigration laws. There is no constitutional problem with the ferry checks; if there were even a colorable challenge, iot would have been brought. So all this talk about random ID checks being "upsetting" is irrelevant to our democracy and freedom. Do you show your passport when you enter the country? Of course. Do you show your ID and insurance to the traffic cop? Of course. Those people have guns too. So what?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anacortes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do not rent from Churchill & Associates, they a... (Dec '07) Nov 26 snowfire 71
Ray Sullivan (Feb '13) Jul '15 oliverthisplace 8
News Plenty going on in Marysville this weekend Jul '15 Donny86 1
Review: Pacific Grace Tax And Accounting (May '15) May '15 JACK 1
News Council members introduce new public nudity ord... (May '15) May '15 The Ace of Spades 4
Review: Madrona Manor Apartments (Sep '08) Apr '15 Laura 13
News US Bicycle Route 10 is approved for Washington ... (Jun '14) Aug '14 Great 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anacortes Mortgages