New ferry trails old in Admiralty cro...

New ferry trails old in Admiralty crossings

There are 1 comment on the Whidbey News Times story from Jun 16, 2011, titled New ferry trails old in Admiralty crossings. In it, Whidbey News Times reports that:

Quarterly performance results for Washington State Ferries' newest vessel, the $76.93 million Chetzemoka, may indicate that they really don't make them like they used to.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whidbey News Times.

Langley, WA

#1 Jun 23, 2011
I recently road the Keystone-PT ferry, and was looking forward to checking of the new ferry Chetzemoka. What a disappointment she was!!
The boat got to Keystone for the noon sailing at about 1155AM, and we got into PT at 1PM. After a quick look round the upper deck, I sat in my car reading, and I thought the boat was moving a bit slowly.
When I returned from PA, I knew I'd missed the 5:15 back to Whidbey, but at 5:25 when I crested the hill over PT, there was the ferry, still about 10 minutes out, and we finally pulled into Keystone a little before 630.
While the Steilacoom(aka "Bob") was the roughest riding ferry since the old Astoria-Megler run, at least it was nearly always on time. It kind of reminds me of when Marine Power & Equipment was tasked with a new generation of boats, and it seemed like every day, there'd be news that an MPE ferry had broken down or had to be taken off a run due to problems with the propulsion control system or the controls had screwerd up and an MPE boat had rammed a dock. From the performance of the "Chetzy II", it doesn't seem like the WSF is looking so hot in the future, and rebuilding the hulls of the Steel-Electric ferries might have been a bargain.
BTW, if you grew up a fan of the Washington State Ferries, when the system was to be enjoyed rather than simply tolerated, check out but with a warning: the "Now" images of the San Mateo, and some other old friends like the Steel-Electrics might break your heart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anacortes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do not rent from Churchill & Associates, they a... (Dec '07) Nov 26 snowfire 71
Ray Sullivan (Feb '13) Jul '15 oliverthisplace 8
News Plenty going on in Marysville this weekend Jul '15 Donny86 1
Review: Pacific Grace Tax And Accounting (May '15) May '15 JACK 1
News Council members introduce new public nudity ord... (May '15) May '15 The Ace of Spades 4
Review: Madrona Manor Apartments (Sep '08) Apr '15 Laura 13
News US Bicycle Route 10 is approved for Washington ... (Jun '14) Aug '14 Great 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Anacortes Mortgages