(UPDATE) Child expelled for bringing ...

(UPDATE) Child expelled for bringing gun to school

There are 9 comments on the Laurel Leader-Call story from May 12, 2009, titled (UPDATE) Child expelled for bringing gun to school. In it, Laurel Leader-Call reports that:

An 11-year-old student has been expelled for one year for bringing a gun to East Amory Elementary School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Laurel Leader-Call.

Betty Paul

United States

#1 May 12, 2009
How and why did the child have a gun? Where were his parents and were thry also disciplined? What measures have you taken that the child or parent will not retaliate and come to school with the intent to do harm?
Anonymous

Waynesboro, MS

#2 May 13, 2009
I really don't think expelling an 11 year old from school is a good punishment. I'm not sure what would be the right punishment, but expelling this child from school for one year just don't seem like the right thing to do, this child needs his education. He should be punished, yes. The parents should also be punished.
M Davidson

Roy, WA

#3 Jun 14, 2009
I agree with "Anonymous", expelling for a year is just a vacation not punishment. Maybe making him stay after school for time to study, homework, or just picking up trash, etc.(if possible).
Oops

Sebring, FL

#4 Jun 27, 2009
Guys...history repeats it's self...look at other schools that have had young childern bring weapons to school (Jonesbor, Arkansas is one I can think of quickly) and see what can happen....The child needs help...in managing what ever caused him to want to bring a gun to school in the first place. Maybe help could come from a different or private school that could counsel as well as teach him. Maybe the enviorment needs to change...was this child bullied, or abused in some way...who knows what happens when they leave school, or sometimes when they are at school. Pray
SDP1

Athens, GA

#5 Jul 9, 2009
There is one thing that comes to mind when I see a story like this: Lack of raising and parental involvement as a whole. I went to this school in the late 80s and none of us ever thought about a gun because we knew that if we even thought about it, we'd get our butts tore up. I hate that Amory is going in the direction that it is and I am going to keep praying for my hometown.
Dennis

Haleyville, AL

#6 Jul 26, 2009
Should have been exspelled,and the parents finded.
Lisa

West Monroe, LA

#7 Sep 11, 2009
What school did this happen at?
Deanna

Rose Hill, MS

#8 Sep 26, 2009
www.monroecounty.net come and join the forum.
Deanna

Rose Hill, MS

#9 Sep 26, 2009
Deanna wrote:
www.monroecounty.net come and join the forum.
That should be www.monroecountyms.net sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anyone know a girl named lulu? (Oct '14) 17 hr SouthernHope 28
News Jail bills headed to governor's desk 21 hr Rod Knox 10
Capn D's 22 hr Wondering 1
Marley Oswalt Sun Countrygirl143 1
News Lee, Itawamba jail bill advances in Legislature Mar 25 One For Thugs 3
No Business Mar 24 Wondering 1
News Jail bills for Lee, Itawamba yet to move in Senate Mar 23 Al American 8

Amory Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance