Illegal Electioneering By The West Islip School District

Posted in the Amityville Forum

Glenn

Bronx, NY

#1 Apr 21, 2013
See the article in today's NY Post about how West Islip is spending OUR taxes for an illegal electioneering program that helps them to get the school budget passed. Reprehensible.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/vet_out_th...
Alfi

West Islip, NY

#2 Apr 21, 2013
Hey, they didn't know any better!
Wendy

West Islip, NY

#3 Apr 21, 2013
The article does not say that west Islip has this feature of the software or engaged in this activity. I suggest you look further Glenn and stop accusing the district of wrong doing until you prove it. I mean, I for one have NEVER received a phone call on election day reminding me to vote, and I would think that If there were phone calls made, we would have heard other members of the public complain about it. No, the post article singles us out probably because of that one high tax rate we had years ago, and is definitely misleading at best.
Having this software to tally the votes, and using the target feature they describe are two different things. I mean think about it, who would be making these phone calls?
Says it right there

Bronx, NY

#4 Apr 21, 2013
Wendy wrote:
The article does not say that west Islip has this feature of the software or engaged in this activity. I suggest you look further Glenn and stop accusing the district of wrong doing until you prove it. I mean, I for one have NEVER received a phone call on election day reminding me to vote, and I would think that If there were phone calls made, we would have heard other members of the public complain about it. No, the post article singles us out probably because of that one high tax rate we had years ago, and is definitely misleading at best.
Having this software to tally the votes, and using the target feature they describe are two different things. I mean think about it, who would be making these phone calls?
It says West Islip right there in the box that lists, "...four Long Island school districts that pay for software that enables them to influence budget votes."
Joe

West Islip, NY

#5 Apr 21, 2013
Wendy wrote:
WITA!
Annmarie

West Islip, NY

#6 Apr 21, 2013
Thank God this story came out. Maybe it'll take the focus off of me and all of the special favors that "someone" did for South Shore Children's Center at Westbrook. Thank you all. I'm going to practice my deep, professional voice now.....
Beth

West Islip, NY

#7 Apr 21, 2013
Wendy wrote:
Dear Lord if you're going to imitate her, at least make a little bit of sense.
I, for one, HAVE gotten robo-calls from WISD "reminding" me to vote and it's the Superintendent (du jour) on the announcement.
West Islip most certainy IS one of the school districts that have purchased this software (at the taxpayers' expense) and uses it on their residents. It says so in the article, Annmarie.
Len

West Islip, NY

#8 Apr 21, 2013
Beth wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Lord if you're going to imitate her, at least make a little bit of sense.
I, for one, HAVE gotten robo-calls from WISD "reminding" me to vote and it's the Superintendent (du jour) on the announcement.
West Islip most certainy IS one of the school districts that have purchased this software (at the taxpayers' expense) and uses it on their residents. It says so in the article, Annmarie.
That is not what the article says. I mean, I know it is the post, and it is written on the sixth grade level, but try and comprehend: it states wi is one of many districts in the state that uses the software, purchased through boces to TALLY the results.( tally means count at the end of th voting) There is another component to the program that COULD be used for cherry picking" voters. No where in the article did it state that west Islip actually did this. The robo calls are sent to Everyone as a reminder. Those are not the calls they are referring to. The ca.ling they refer to are people who actually spend the day looking at who has voted, and selecting from the rolls the people who haven't voted, and placing calls directly to them. Again, the article doesn't state that west Islip engaged in that activity. And by the way, someone needs to look further into it, because if they did do this, it would be wrong.
Read It For Yourself

West Islip, NY

#9 Apr 24, 2013
You have reached the cached page for http://boldsys.com/EMS.html
Below is a snapshot of the Web page as it appeared on 4/18/2013 (the last time our crawler visited it). This is the version of the page that was used for ranking your search results. The page may have changed since we last cached it. To see what might have changed (without the highlights), go to the current page.
The reality is: to increase your budget more than 2%, your district now needs a 60% super-majority vote. Nothing empowers you to get out the YES votes you need like the EMS Election Management System from Bold Systems. For over 20 years, EMS has been the best-in-class solution to reduce the cost and labor of handling school district elections, simplify polling procedures, and ensure a successful election process.
Get real-time information you can put to real use
EMS delivers critical information prior to, during and after the election. With EMS Live, you can receive real-time up-to-the-minute reporting throughout election day. Bold's advanced reporting features enable you to compile lists of parents, in-district staff and eligible students. Lists can even be segmented into key groups (such as PTA members, families with kids in athletics, or by school), to help get out the votes or conduct registration drives. If your budget votes are too close to call, EMS can provide the edge you need.
EMS delivers critical information prior to, during and after the election.
WI Taxpayer

West Islip, NY

#10 Apr 24, 2013
I would like to know how much was spent by the district on the software and what features were used as most software packages are complex and I don't know all the features of this one. As to the info stated in the article- it's not clear what is 'illegal'. For years we've gotten reminder calls to vote, whether we already had or not. We've even had people come to our door. It doesn't mean we've been 'influenced'. We are either going to vote or not and our yes or no vote is a decision based upon facts - not what someone else urges us to do. This uproar sounds unjustified but the spending decision interests me.
Simple

West Islip, NY

#11 Apr 24, 2013
WI Taxpayer wrote:
I would like to know how much was spent by the district on the software and what features were used as most software packages are complex and I don't know all the features of this one. As to the info stated in the article- it's not clear what is 'illegal'. For years we've gotten reminder calls to vote, whether we already had or not. We've even had people come to our door. It doesn't mean we've been 'influenced'. We are either going to vote or not and our yes or no vote is a decision based upon facts - not what someone else urges us to do. This uproar sounds unjustified but the spending decision interests me.
The component of this software that finds out who has not voted in real time and then puts a phone call in to these voters is the issue. That is a deliberate attempt to electioneer. Singling out those voters who did not vote, yet,(in real time) is wrong and that is voter harrassment and intimidation and that is illegal. Imagine, haunting voters, by using their phones as a means to push them into voting.
WI Taxpayer

West Islip, NY

#12 Apr 24, 2013
Simple wrote:
<quoted text>
The component of this software that finds out who has not voted in real time and then puts a phone call in to these voters is the issue. That is a deliberate attempt to electioneer. Singling out those voters who did not vote, yet,(in real time) is wrong and that is voter harrassment and intimidation and that is illegal. Imagine, haunting voters, by using their phones as a means to push them into voting.
I agree that no voter should be harassed, in any election. I just do not see the harassment, intimidation, haunting risk from a phone call. Honestly, it could cause as many no votes as yes votes... However, I hope the concerns are reviewed officially and independently. More directly, I hope the financial details and purchasing criteria for the software purchase are made clear to the community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amityville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 1 hr Bruser 7,940
which auto repair shop to choose in Farmingdale... Fri Charlie 1
Arrest Report: DWI, Criminal Possession (Nov '11) Fri Ginger 16
Annymous Fri Anonymous 1
irish mob (Oct '13) Thu ClipperHatBoy 31
Dogwood la Dec 24 Sambee 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Dec 23 Bruser 2,365

Amityville News Video

Amityville Dating
Find my Match