Husband shot to death hours after wif...

Husband shot to death hours after wife dies in auto accident

There are 16 comments on the 4 WWL-TV story from May 7, 2007, titled Husband shot to death hours after wife dies in auto accident. In it, 4 WWL-TV reports that:

A man whose wife was killed in an automobile accident Friday morning was shot to death later that day after apparently getting into an argument with his mother-in-law. Tangipahoa Sheriff's Office Claraola ... via 4 WWL-TV

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 4 WWL-TV.

bubba

United States

#1 May 8, 2007
let's see...mom is dead, dad is dead, gradmama is going to do time instead of caring for those kids..but fear not..the STATE will provide them a nice molester free environment in a foster home. YEA,RIGHT!!
SMART THINKING GRAND MOTHER.
Family member

Mandeville, LA

#2 May 8, 2007
It is truly sad that these girls are now orphans, but they will be in the care of family. They will not be in the foster care system.
Tammy

Tallahassee, FL

#3 May 9, 2007
Family member wrote:
It is truly sad that these girls are now orphans, but they will be in the care of family. They will not be in the foster care system.
My husband was at TC with Rick - and I had the pleasure of getting to know Kathy these last few months. She made my wedding cake last month and she brought it all the way to Pensacola - it was the most incredible gift anyone has ever given me. I wanted you to know that I found a friend in her and I will miss her dearly. All of the wives have been emailing each other and consoling each other - we will all miss her so much...she left an impact on all of us with her wit and her giving and loving nature. She was very strong and very out spoken - her spirit can not be matched with any other. I did not get to know Rick - but I do understand he had a lot of people who supported him and loved him - and everyone was crushed that these two wonderful people had to leave us so soon.

Our prayers go out to the girls - to the families of Kathy and Rick - and especially to the Grandmother -may God have mercy on her.
concerned

United States

#5 May 10, 2007
I believe the life of the young man could have been spared only if he would have just left the little girls with their maternal grandmother until she could cope with losing her daughter. He coming to take his daughthers may have triggered the sense that she ( grand ma) would be losing her granddaughters , all that she had left to live for. It is oh so sad when people fail to communicate with each other.
Family member

Mandeville, LA

#7 May 14, 2007
I am astounded by the hate of totally uninformed, self-righteous, readers. First, the children were NOT at the grandmother's house. They were at another location. McCurdy went over to get keys to his vehicle, not to argue. He understood her grief, and only wanted to go to his children and comfort them....because they had lost their mother, and remember, he lost his wife. The woman shot an unarmed, innocent man as he walked away from her. He fell to the ground ON HIS PROPERTY, at which point she stood over him, and while he looked her, shot him two more times, once in the chest and another in the stomach She then threatened to shoot his mother who was rushing to her dying son. By this time, she had fired 5 shots, and the father-in-law was dragging his wife back to their property.
Tammy

Tallahassee, FL

#10 May 15, 2007
Family member wrote:
I am astounded by the hate of totally uninformed, self-righteous, readers. First, the children were NOT at the grandmother's house. They were at another location. McCurdy went over to get keys to his vehicle, not to argue. He understood her grief, and only wanted to go to his children and comfort them....because they had lost their mother, and remember, he lost his wife. The woman shot an unarmed, innocent man as he walked away from her. He fell to the ground ON HIS PROPERTY, at which point she stood over him, and while he looked her, shot him two more times, once in the chest and another in the stomach She then threatened to shoot his mother who was rushing to her dying son. By this time, she had fired 5 shots, and the father-in-law was dragging his wife back to their property.
Please do not respond back to the hateful comments made by people who have nothing else to do but comment about people and situations they have no first hand knowledge about. You can not argue with someone who obviously has nothing else to do with their day - You know what happened and you owe no one an explanation or another second of your time - it is ridiculous for someone to say anything as foolish as the response you received. My suggestion is do not check the site again - and go on with your life. His wife shared with me and the other wives at TC some of the problems between her family and her husband - and it is tragic - and anyone that is so bored and so emotionally and mentally challenged to even respond to something they know nothing about should truly consider getting a life - a lobotomy - or a heart. My personal choice for Thought Criminal would be all three - God bless!
Family member

Mandeville, LA

#11 May 15, 2007
Tammy,
You are correct. Why should I reply to someone as ignorant and hateful as Thought Criminal. This is probably someone with nothing more to do than to attempt to cause more pain to innocent people by writing idiotic nonsense. Thought Criminal is to be pitied, such lowlifes usually have only their computers to keep them company. You can forget about them getting a heart, and as for the lobotomy......you are too late, Thought Criminal doesn't have a brain, as is evident by their Thoughtless remarks. Thank you for you kindness to Ricky and Kathy. The entire family appreciates all that TC has done.
Karol

Tallahassee, FL

#12 Oct 10, 2007
I am so sad for those children and the entire family. Being a parent I can understand the need to rush to the children's side - they both (father and children) needed each other. And also being a parent, the terror that Rick's mother must have gone through seeing her son being shot down (if I understood what happenend correctly) It sounds like everyone that knew them lost two wonderful people. My prayers go out to everyone involved.
Family member

United States

#13 Jun 2, 2009
I have read these comments, and I wounder how people can say some of these things. The family member who posted the lies from Mandeville, I say shame on you! Kathy was a fine person, hard working, and a great mother. Rick on the other hand, was a drug addict, who stole drugs from two of his jobs, and was cought and fired on both of them. He would leave and be gone for days and no one knew where he was, thats just a couple of things about Rick, there is much more, to much to write. By the way, he was not stood over and shot, or on his property at the time, he was their wanting the keys to the truck, and threating Kathys' family with the children. I for one am glad he is not in their lives, and I am so sorry for both familys, but learn the truth before you say such mean things.
red dawn

Crosby, TX

#14 Jun 2, 2009
sounds like that gene pool recieved a badly needed cleaning.
thats right

London, KY

#15 Jun 4, 2009
thank god i moved to kentucky
love

United States

#16 Jun 7, 2009
I pray for all that is involved.God is the only judge. I am not going to judge them, I wasn't there.The kids need our prayers. God Bless the Family.
bds

Denham Springs, LA

#17 Jul 20, 2009
my god! it's janet reno!

“Hey what's up”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#18 Jul 20, 2009
May God watch over and protect those poor children.
This has to be due to the grief the mother in law was suffering from.
It causes people to not act with the rational thinking of a normal person.
LS in GA

Brunswick, GA

#19 Jul 21, 2009
concerned wrote:
I believe the life of the young man could have been spared only if he would have just left the little girls with their maternal grandmother until she could cope with losing her daughter. He coming to take his daughthers may have triggered the sense that she ( grand ma) would be losing her granddaughters , all that she had left to live for. It is oh so sad when people fail to communicate with each other.
And, so, you think that this man was supposed to be calm and collected enough to anticipate that his mother-in-law would murder him because he needed to have his daughters with him. BRILLIANT, deduction!
Here's another thought: Distraught or not, why don't you expect that she's suppose to be in massively better control of her emotions than to do harm to - much less KILL - someone who doesn't agree with her, regardless of what the disagreement was about!???
This is a tragedy of some magnitude. Let us hope that the children will, as mentioned previously, be with family instead of becoming wards of the state! But, even so, they have lost THREE key people in their lives. How absolutely tragic!
Mandeville

Mandeville, LA

#20 Apr 15, 2010
First of all, I never said anything bad about Kathy. Please read my post again. And I did state the facts. Check the eye witnesses and the POLICE REPORTS. While I contend that my post was and is correct, I agree that Ricky did threaten his mother-in-law with the children, and most likely would be alive today had he not confronted Ms Claraola. He did have drug and alcohol addictions and was in fact in a group facility in Florida when he received word of Kathy's accident and death. If there were emotions running high that night and confrontations that would have otherwise not ended in gunshots, the fact is he was shot in cold blood while looking into the eyes of his murderer....and by the way, you might want to learn how to spell, and use correct English, as well as learning the facts before you accuse someone of lying.
Family member wrote:
I have read these comments, and I wounder how people can say some of these things. The family member who posted the lies from Mandeville, I say shame on you! Kathy was a fine person, hard working, and a great mother. Rick on the other hand, was a drug addict, who stole drugs from two of his jobs, and was cought and fired on both of them. He would leave and be gone for days and no one knew where he was, thats just a couple of things about Rick, there is much more, to much to write. By the way, he was not stood over and shot, or on his property at the time, he was their wanting the keys to the truck, and threating Kathys' family with the children. I for one am glad he is not in their lives, and I am so sorry for both familys, but learn the truth before you say such mean things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amite Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mark Traina was tortured by ICU NURSE RAY JENNI... Aug 4 fatuous2 2
What can yo tell me about the bitch known as Ly... Jul '15 Curious 1
News Jury convicts Bordelon of murdering girl (Jul '06) Feb '15 Digger 190
News Two Bodies Found in Burned-Out Car in Tangipaho... (May '07) Mar '14 Nuababe Vernon 10
News Deputies arrest 4 for failing to register as se... (Jul '10) Jan '14 Frank is a POS 12
under age girl (Dec '13) Dec '13 Devil 1
Music Store at Ponder Hoel (Dec '13) Dec '13 jack 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Amite Mortgages