ssgoodenough

Providence, RI

#2125 Apr 28, 2010
Jonathan wrote:
i see your points ssgoodenough... i change my mind so much with this whole thing, i used to be convinced it was suicide... its almost like i cant stop thinking about it... and i only been obsessing over it for like that past year or so...
A head injury makes sense, and in the photos i have seen it looked like the windshield was spider-webbed like someones head smashed into it..so i guess it would make sense that if she had a few drinks, hit her head, freaked out, ran into the woods, then fell asleep and froze to death, that makes the most sense... it just seems after so much searching they wouldve found her if she was within walking distance or running distance(i know it would be far since she was a track athlete).
Also, I always found it spooky that a guy reported to police like 2 months after she vanished that he saw a girl matching her exact description jogging down the road like a mile and a half from the wreck then upon being seen she ran the other way or something...that would indeed go along with what you have said.
Does anyone know what this "new evidence" is that they are currently looking into? Even speculation.. this is a real life mystery that when i think about it enough, actually brings a tear to my eye.
Jonathan, I hear what your saying about thinking about this case alot, I bring it to the attention of almost anyone who will listen. It's such an interesting case, but more than that I think is that this is a young girls life. It is always in the back of my mind. I've only learned of it within the past couple of years. The mind does go wandering with theory on what could have happened to Maura. The contractor that saw her that night and then reported it much later is a suspect to some people as is the bus driver who has since relocated. Fred Murray has done so much for this case he is a person that so many can relate to a father in anguish over the dissapperance of his daughter and Maura is also just a character people can relate to so well, all american girl, student, athlete. Thats another reason that I think this case stays in the lime light and has people like us up nights thinking about these people we don't even know. They are just so relatable, they are just like us, just average people. We have these theories to hope for their closure.
Jonathan

Erie, PA

#2126 Apr 28, 2010
Absolutely.. They are just like us.. One that was real close to home(Wilksbarre PA) was just solved about 3 weeks ago.. They found the skull of Jennifer Barzilowski in the woods, by some fishermen on ATVs. She has been missing since 2001, then her best friend, Phylicia Thomas, went missing on Feb 11th 2004. I cannot imagine what they are going threw.. she even put a thing on craigslist about volunteering to go search these woods again due to the VERY RECENT(3 weeks ago) discovery of the one girls remains.. Even though they disappeared 3 years apart almost, alot of the same people they were involved with are responsible, but have YET to be brought to justice.. Now I'm thinking these psychopathic filth might go and try to move the remains from their original place or something... my mind has been into this alot lately... along with that case and Maura Murray, and Brianna Maitland, etc.... sometimes its too much to bear, but at least with this one case close to home I was actually going to volunteer to help search..
I mean, nobody WANTS to go into the woods and come out with a human skeleton for chrissakes, but its just so weird that they actually found Jennifers remains 3 weeks ago... I feel that the Jen/Phylicia Thomas case could actually be put away now with this HUGE HUGE piece of the puzzle.. oh btw, the skull was found about a half a mile from the main "person of interest" in both cases, Steve Allan Martin's former residence he had at the time of the disappearances.. these are 2 HUGE puzzle pieces.. I actually know people from around those areas and who knows, get people talking again, asking quesitons, finding out who was hanging out with Steve(who is now dead) back then.. Google the case and you will be just as shocked by it as I am... especially since Hugo Selenskis name even came up sometimes..

Also, I'm just like you ssgoodenough, I havent even know about these cases that long... only about a year or so...ive been on and off obsessed, but like you said, they are always in the back of my mind.. Very bizarre how the earth can just swallow people sometimes...
Jan

Delaware, OH

#2127 May 2, 2010
Maybe Maura is the one that hit the student. Her dad said she was overly upset about wrecking his car. maybe she was upset because she hit the student
Jonathan

Erie, PA

#2128 May 2, 2010
Jan you've got to realize that theory is older than Orvil Reddonbocker.
I also heard on the news that they found bones the other day in the beach on Ocean City Maryland, Greg Forte disappeared from Fenwick Island
DarkDreams

Conover, NC

#2129 May 3, 2010
I have dreams. I know what you are thinking because I used to think the same thing before I started connecting the dots. I live in NC, I have no idea who Ms. Murray is. The only reason why I'm on this post is because this dream has been picking away at me for some time now. It didn't register until I saw a report on her and saw her face. She was in my dream running, she turned left at this store called diet watch. Anybody who gets these visions knows they are often not literal. At first I searched for a diet watch store or fitness club with diet int the name in NH which led me to this post regarding nutritional supplements. I realize that some post made by some freak who says they have visions helps very little, but I have to get it off my chest. I think that the nutritional supplements trail should be investigated.
Beagle

Amherst, MA

#2131 May 3, 2010
GOLDEN EGGS - DROWNING IN CREDIT-CARD DEBT AND STUDENT LOANS, YOUNG WOMEN ARE SELLING THEIR EGGS FOR BIG PAYOFFS. BUT CAN THEY REALLY MAKE THE RIGHT MEDICAL AND MORAL DECISIONS WHEN THEY'RE TEMPTED WITH $15,000

Boston Globe, The (MA)- Sunday, June 25, 2006

JAMIE GALBRAITH SITS SLIGHTLY HUNCHED OVER AT JAKE'S, THE RESTAURANT in a Marriott hotel in Woburn. She's uncomfortable, and she hasn't eaten much, because yesterday morning she spent 45 minutes in stirrups at the Brigham and Women's Hospital Center for Assisted Reproduction while a doctor suctioned 66 eggs out of her ovaries. A little cramping is a small price, Galbraith tells me, considering that a Boston couple is paying her $15,000 for her trouble. She is 5-foot-8 and has green eyes and naturally blond hair. She lives in Michigan, but human eggs don't stand up to shipping, so she came to Massachusetts and to her clients' fertility clinic for the operation. This is her fourth procedure in three years; she has another scheduled in July in New Jersey. It would be nice to say that she is only here to help someone. That this mother of two and military wife wants to spread the joy of family life - and she does. But there's another reason why Galbraith, who turns 27 this week, has spent so much time in stirrups. She needed to raise a down payment for a house and relieve some of the $14,000 in loans she's using to pay the University of Phoenix online, where she is studying for a bachelor's degree in business. Galbraith's fee is on the high end of the spectrum, which starts at about $5,000 per donation cycle. That's the process by which eggs are artificially stimulated to mature, then surgically "harvested," or extracted. Prospective clients are shown pictures of Galbraith now, as a baby, and during adolescence. They also see photographs of her children, now 6 and 9. But what sells even more persuasively is her track record. Each of her three prior donations produced egg counts in the 40s - more than double what is typical - and each resulted in offspring. So her price has climbed, from $5,000 to $8,000 to $15,000. What's more, she and her sister, a nursing student in Illinois who is also a donor, are starting their own agency to recruit other donors and match them with patients. The sisters have already recruited a few of their friends and are actively looking for more donors. And they know where to look: college towns, where the perfect specimens - young, SAT-tested women deep in debt - can be recruited through school newspaper ads, websites like craigslist, and photocopied fliers stapled to trees. The ads probably won't mention the medical and psychological screenings. Or the injections of hormones. Or the suctioning. They will mention families in need. And they will promise cash.
dolora

Millville, NJ

#2132 May 3, 2010
Beagle, I think you have way too much time on your hands. You read way too much into everything. Half of your theories are without thought or merit. You need to see a doctor for a mood stabilizer. You jump from one topic to the next. You are very hard to follow.
U2tourslut

North Augusta, SC

#2133 May 4, 2010
LOL
ssgoodenough

Providence, RI

#2134 May 4, 2010
Nutritional supplement pushing and egg harvesting madmen, I know I waver a little bit in my theories on this case but we can all be sure that much simpler motives led to Maura's dissapperance.
Beagle

Amherst, MA

#2135 May 4, 2010
SMALL FIRMS FLOCK TO PROFIT OFF PATH OPENED BY CLONED SHEEP

Boston Globe - Wednesday, February 26, 1997

Author: Larry Tye, Globe Staff

There should be billions of dollars to be made from the breakthrough in animal cloning announced last week in Scotland, and New England firms are likely to be among those cashing in.

But analysts say it won't be the big biotech companies like Genzyme Corp. and Biogen Inc. that lead the pack this time, but little-known spinoffs from schools like the University of Massachusetts, Yale and Tufts. And they say that though some payoffs could be realized within a few years, many of the big ones are a decade or more away

Commercial payoffs from cloning could take several forms: genetically engineered cows that produce milk with less fat, revolutionary techniques for making and testing drugs, and rejection-proof hearts for transplant, grown using techniques like the ones Scottish researchers used to clone an adult sheep.

"The need for organs alone is thought to be a $6 billion market, and certainly if you're looking at the potential in biomedicine and agriculture you're talking about many billions," said James Robl, associate professor of veterinary and animal sciences at UMass-Amherst and one of those hoping to lead the way in applying cloning research.
But researchers at Advanced Cell Technology in Amherst, a start-up firm affiliated with UMass, can't wait to get started. The company has just eight technical employees, but in cofounder Robl it has a pioneer in the animal cloning approach tested in Scotland.While many of those developments are unlikely for a decade or more, the first selective cloning could begin "in a few years," Robl predicted. "Others, like creating a market for organs, are further down the road. For clinical products you need clinical trials ... which puts it in the five-, six-, or seven-year range
Beagle

Amherst, MA

#2136 May 4, 2010
AT UMASS, CLONED CALVES LEAD TO BIG EXPECTATIONS

Boston Globe - Wednesday, January 21, 1998

Author: Richard Saltus, Globe Staff

University of Massachusetts scientists yesterday announced the births of the first cloned cattle with genetically engineered traits, a breakthrough they say could have great benefits for US agriculture, medicine, and biotechnology.

The feat, accomplished at UMass-Amherst, demonstrates that scientists can introduce new traits into cattle and produce any number of identical animals having these traits, all in one process

Because cows are far more economically important in this country than sheep -- the animals that have made cloning history in Scotland during the past year -- US scientists had been racing to bring the cloning technology to cattle.

Among the first payoffs are expected to be cows genetically modified to secrete pharmaceutical drugs in their milk -- at lower cost, in many instances, than by conventional manufacture. The drugs could be extracted from the milk or even drunk by patients in the form termed "nutraceuticals."

"It's a faster, safer, more cost-effective way of producing pharmaceutical drugs," said Steven Stice, chief financial officer of Advanced Cell Technology Inc., a Worcester-based startup company spun off from UMass. He and James Robl, an animal science professor at the university, are cofounders of ACT. Stice is an adjunct professor at UMass.

In a report to the annual meeting in Boston of the International Embryo Transfer Society, Stice and Robl said that in addition to its use in pharmaceuticals, the technology would be a benefit to the livestock industry. They envision entire herds of identical cattle with improved meat and milk characteristics, or genetic traits making them resistant to various diseases, such as BSE or "mad cow" disease.

Nutraceuticals = nutritional supplements/pharmaceuticals
Beagle

Amherst, MA

#2138 May 4, 2010
TESTS UNITE HUMAN, COW CELLS MASS. FIRM SAYS IT BRED EMBRYO

Boston Globe - Friday, November 13, 1998

Author: Richard Saltus, Globe Staff

The researchers fused a human skin cell with a cow egg stripped of its nucleus because that avoided using a scarce human egg to nurture the genetic program of the new embryo, they said.

Above is short except from a much longer Globe story.
Beagle

Amherst, MA

#2139 May 4, 2010
PATENT HINTS HOW FIRM MAY FARM HUMAN TISSUE

Boston Globe, The (MA)- Thursday, July 26, 2001

Author: Gareth Cook, Globe Staff

Researchers have already used mice to grow human tissue, including a famous experiment at Massachusetts General Hospital in which a human ear was grown on the back of a mouse. What the Advanced Cell Technology patent proposes, however, is to use these mice in stem cell research, one of the hottest, most controversial, and potentially most lucrative areas of biological research.
Beagle

Amherst, MA

#2140 May 4, 2010
UMASS WOULD PROFIT ON CLONING - LICENSING DEAL FOR 4.5% OF SALES

Boston Globe, The (MA)- Wednesday, November 28, 2001

Author: Alice Dembner, Globe Staff

If human cloning ever makes money for Advanced Cell Technology of Worcester, there will be a hidden beneficiary: the University of Massachusetts, which stands to collect 4.5 percent of the company's net sales under a 1998 licensing deal.

The small biotech firm has been at the center of a heated national debate since it announced Sunday that it had begun cloning human embryos to harvest their stem cells for use in fighting disease. On Monday, President Bush condemned the work as "growing life to destroy it," and called for a congressional ban.

But UMass officials say they will stand by their deal.
Beagle

Amherst, MA

#2141 May 4, 2010
PIONEER FIRM VOWS TO CONTINUE CLONING - CONTROVERSY HAS NOT SLOWED FUNDS

Boston Globe, The (MA)- Tuesday, December 4, 2001

Author: Raja Mishra, Globe Staff

Human cloning pioneer Michael West yesterday said his Worcester-based company, flush with cash from investors, would aggressively continue its work on cloned embryos undeterred by strident talk in Washington of banning human cloning.

Two weeks ago, West's company, Advanced Cell Technology , said it had cloned the first human embryos on record, drawing enormous attention. Calls for banning all human cloning immediately sounded in Congress. President Bush said he was prepared to sign a ban into law.

Despite the controversy, West said his small company's financial prospects have improved over the last two weeks.

"There's a lot of interest that investors have had" since the announcement, said West, declining to discuss details.

Above excerpted from Boston Globe story.

Where did all the eggs come from that allowed for the first cloning of a human embryo? Not through Ann Keissling's efforts. Those 70-something eggs (of presumably low quality) never took. ACT needed additional money when the announcement was made. And that announcement attracted additional investment. But ultimately the announcement was based on the acquisition of human eggs. A lot of them. If the eggs that yielded success did not come from the effort of Ann Keissling, where did they come from? How many were used?
Beagle

Greenfield, MA

#2142 May 15, 2010
Below from: http://www.geneticsandsociety.org/article.php...

by Faye Flam, Seattle Times
March 9th, 2007

Those clones that make it may still have some abnormalities, says Whitehead's Jaenisch, but they're not likely to pass them down to future generations. When cloned animals reproduce, he says, most epigenetic abnormalities will get corrected in their eggs or sperm.

Scientists say cloning research is closing in on long-promised medical advances. "What the egg does is not a miracle," Jaenisch said. By teasing out its secrets, there's a chance to create a substitute for embryonic stem cells that bypass the need for eggs, or embryos.

Meanwhile,[the] founder of the Connecticut- based biotech company Hematech, is using cloning to introduce human genes into cattle engineered to produce medically useful antibodies.

Others are cloning pigs as potential organ donors or test animals. Pigs are close to our size and, like humans, eat an omnivorous diet, says Jorge Piedrahita of North Carolina State University's vet school. There's a huge demand for cloned pigs that model human diseases.

But with the cost of cloning at $17,000, why would anyone clone an ordinary farm animal? Because they can command surprisingly high prices - especially the ones with good pedigrees.

Greg Wiles said he paid $91,000 for Zita back in 1991. He knew he overbid, he said, but he sensed she was special.

In 1998, he said, she was ranked No. 1 in the country in a system set up by the USDA and the Holstein Association USA. She was not only a good milk producer - she was a female stud. Breeders paid tens of thousands for embryos made from her eggs, he said, to be gestated by lesser cows.

With modern breeding technology, a cow with good genes can have up to 100 calves.

In 2001, a representative of the Holstein Association asked if Wiles wanted to have his aging but beloved Zita cloned. Cyagra had agreed to do the job free of charge. That year, the company delivered two clones, Cyagra-Z and another he called Genesis-Z.

But a few months later, the FDA told Wiles not to sell milk or meat from them or their offspring, pending safety studies. Buyers stopped asking for embryos from any of his cattle, he said, whether cloned or not. When Cyagra-Z got sick, he said, he asked FDA officials if they wanted to inspect her or test her milk. They never did.

Some experts say the fear of eating cloned food is unfounded.

"I'd eat cloned meat or milk in a second," said Steve Stice, a cloning expert at the University of Georgia. In fact, he says, some of us already have. Years before Dolly came along, scientists had been cloning animals from embryonic cells, but because that wasn't as difficult, nobody created any public fanfare or worried about the milk or meat they produced.

Wiles' experience does help dispel the notion that human cloning would produce a good "copy" of a human being. His other Zita clone, Genesis-Z, does take after her progenitor to some extent, he said, but she isn't a top-rated cow.
ssgoodenough

Providence, RI

#2143 May 20, 2010
Follow up on the Ian Hackney connection as promised, unfortunatly Mr. Hackney's body has been recovered, I've attached an article below. Although it does not indicate if he took his own life or merely died of exposure, it does state that foul play was not a factor in his death. At this point it looks to me that the connection is just a very rare and odd coincidence, they went to the same school, both on the track team, both with a connection to the same CT town, both drove miles away from school and dissapeared.

http://thewesterlysun.com/news_now/article_d1...
Jonathan

Erie, PA

#2144 May 22, 2010
Something else a bit strang ssgoodenough is that the other night I had this dream where Jimmy Hoffa was giving Maura Murray a ride somewhere.. it was weird. And I pictured Jack Nicholson as Hoffa like in the film, and I didn't see him as Nicholson, cause dreams are weird like that.
But on a serious note, a young woman disappeared from near where I live(WilkeBarre Pennsylvania) literally 2 days after Maura disappeared. Phylica Thomas was her name.. we have had some recent developments in her case. Very strange.
I see you post on here sometimes ssgoodenough, so can I ask what is your theory of what happened to Maura? I'm sure you do not support this egg harvest theory.
cindy

San JosÚ, Costa Rica

#2145 May 23, 2010
Tourist in Canada wrote:
I saw Maura Murray alive and well in Sherbrooke Quebec, I approached her and said "Hi Maura". She turned toward me and said "Hi" then gasped and looked like she was going to pass out from shock. I have no doubt this was Maura Murray. She is apparently alive and well and living in Canada. When I saw her she was with very handsome young man.
oh my God you shouldnĘt take a picture of her and then contact her family and show it to them so they can see she┤┤s alive and look for her
Jonathan

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA

#2146 Jun 21, 2010
no posts lately?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amherst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Sep 11 whimmersmith 4,702
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Diversity is a codeword for White Genocide Aug '14 598yio 1
Caution Re Michael Spink and Fraziero (Aug '10) Aug '14 Ooblobster 12
Nearly 6,000 attend Jehovah's Witness convention Aug '14 hello 46
Woods Hole Film Festival Gears Up for 23rd Year Jul '14 Cheryl D 1
Rock-climbing gardener' is new principal in Lev... Jul '14 JESC 1
•••
•••
•••

Amherst Jobs

•••
•••
•••