Gay Kiss Leads to Trouble With Grand Cayman Police

May 5, 2008 Full story: gaynewsblog.net 19

A gay couple from Massachusetts was detained by police after kissing on the dance floor of a popular club on Grand Cayman.

Full Story
Westsidechic

George Town, Cayman Islands

#1 May 7, 2008
I am a caymanian , and after i heard the whole story I believe both parties were out of hand the couple for not listening to the officer and the officer not giving them another chance
Norman0000

George Town, Cayman Islands

#2 May 13, 2008
I live in Cayman and have done for over 20 years.

Different countries have different rules of behavior and laws. For example it is rude to sneeze in public in Japan and illegal to drink alcohol on many Florida beaches.
Neither of these are a problem in Cayman.

But if I was warned by a police officer to stop drinking alcohol in Florida, I would expect to be arrested if I continued (the gay couple continued kissing after a warning).

No, I don't think gays are going to Hell (unlike a sizable proportion of the USA) and I really don't care if you get married.

And I certainly don't care what you do in private, as long as you are both consenting adults.

But please show a little sensitivity and keep those kisses out of the public eye when here in Cayman.
Nathan

United States

#3 Jun 2, 2008
Your comment "keep kisses out of the public eye" shows the underlying homophobia you are denying. Hiding, or being required to keep "out of the public eye" is akin to going back into the closet.

The fact is that many gays are very accustomed to public displays of affection. This is particularly true when on vacation, or when enjoying island life. The fact that this particular island continues to be homophobic, perhaps is exactly why gays / lesbians should take their vacation dollars elsewhere.

Google search for some great gay-friendly destinations. Or go for it and go to the Caymans -- just realize that you may be required to go back into the closet.
jsm

Toronto, Canada

#5 Jul 21, 2008
so the question remains then, even though the board of tourism offered a public apology, does the law [no same sex public displays of affection] exist in grand cayman
johnst

Grover Beach, CA

#6 Aug 18, 2008
Nathan wrote:
Your comment "keep kisses out of the public eye" shows the underlying homophobia you are denying. Hiding, or being required to keep "out of the public eye" is akin to going back into the closet.
The fact is that many gays are very accustomed to public displays of affection. This is particularly true when on vacation, or when enjoying island life. The fact that this particular island continues to be homophobic, perhaps is exactly why gays / lesbians should take their vacation dollars elsewhere.
Google search for some great gay-friendly destinations. Or go for it and go to the Caymans -- just realize that you may be required to go back into the closet.
I think you have it right. Don't go there if you can't follow the rules

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#7 Aug 18, 2008
ben arder wrote:
better yet, refrain from perverted same sex affection. Gay sex is disgusting and unacceptable. Gay oriented people have a short circuit in their brain that compells them to practice wrong sexual urges. Right on Cayman island people!! You make me proud Cayman officials!
That's a laugh and a half. Did you learn this brand of science in your trailer park. I can just see it now the teacher in your trailer: "Gay brain defunctional. Gays have shortwire. Gay brain told to practice wrong sexual urges." I guess they never bothered explaining how your sister is also your aunt.

“A Clever One Liner”

Since: Jul 08

Mid-west City

#8 Aug 19, 2008
ben arder wrote:
better yet, refrain from perverted same sex affection. Gay sex is disgusting and unacceptable. Gay oriented people have a short circuit in their brain that compells them to practice wrong sexual urges. Right on Cayman island people!! You make me proud Cayman officials!
Wow, and all this time I thought we were taking steps forward in society. There is nothing wrong with a little PDA but, it all comes down to their laws. If the law bans PDA than no PDA be it gay or straight but, if the law says specofocally no Gay PDa then that is the law. It would just show that their society needs a little.
Grand Gayman

Westport, MA

#9 Aug 22, 2008
ben arder wrote:
Did you learn this at church with the priests? or back behind the trailer with your pa? Most of the time Ben, when people are so adamant about the subject like yourself, it is due to being self conscious about it. I sense a little sexual tension here.
freearth

Boise, ID

#10 Aug 25, 2008
Norman0000 wrote:
Different countries have different rules of behavior and laws. For example it is rude to sneeze in public in Japan and illegal to drink alcohol on many Florida beaches.
But if I was warned by a police officer to stop drinking alcohol in Florida, I would expect to be arrested if I continued (the gay couple continued kissing after a warning).
No, I don't think gays are going to Hell (unlike a sizable proportion of the USA) and I really don't care if you get married.
And I certainly don't care what you do in private, as long as you are both consenting adults.
But please show a little sensitivity and keep those kisses out of the public eye when here in Cayman.
To deny gay people the right to kiss each other in public is the same as denying interracial couples to kiss in public.

it is discrimination pure and simple
afjks

Amherst, MA

#11 Sep 4, 2008
I wouldn't want any couple making out in public, straight or gay.

“Equality under the law for All”

Since: Jun 08

Fontana, CA

#12 Sep 4, 2008
afjks wrote:
I wouldn't want any couple making out in public, straight or gay.
So no one should be allowed to kiss in public? That's all these two men did.

I'd rather see two people kiss than fight anyday.
Student

Lansing, MI

#13 Feb 20, 2009
I will be starting med school on the Grand Cayman soon, and just wanted to know if anyone has first-hand experience of being gay and living on the island. I'll be there for about a year and a half, then will move back to the US for the rest of my training. My partner and I are married, and she is considering trying to go with me, versus having to travel back and forth to see each other for the 1.5 years. However, there are a lot of concerns... both employment and how we'll be treated as a couple. She has her JD, but is fresh out of school, and it looks like she'd need more US legal experience before she could work as a lawyer there. We keep things on the down-low anyway, are both quite feminine, and very religious, but I'd like to know how we could expect to be treated if people were to find out. Can employees be fired for being gay and can landlords ask you to leave if they discover? We've also been trying to have a child, and I'm interested as to how we could expect hospitals to treat the non-birthmother, or even each other with health concerns, even if we have seemingly air-tight powers of attorney as per US standards. Thanks for any input.

“Equality under the law for All”

Since: Jun 08

Fontana, CA

#14 Feb 23, 2009
Even in the US you can be fired from/denied a job for being or seeming to be gay, and if you can be arrested for kissing in public in the Caymans then you be certian of being fired from/denied a job for being or seeming to be gay there too. It just makes sense.

Virginia Rae
Student wrote:
I will be starting med school on the Grand Cayman soon, and just wanted to know if anyone has first-hand experience of being gay and living on the island. I'll be there for about a year and a half, then will move back to the US for the rest of my training. My partner and I are married, and she is considering trying to go with me, versus having to travel back and forth to see each other for the 1.5 years. However, there are a lot of concerns... both employment and how we'll be treated as a couple. She has her JD, but is fresh out of school, and it looks like she'd need more US legal experience before she could work as a lawyer there. We keep things on the down-low anyway, are both quite feminine, and very religious, but I'd like to know how we could expect to be treated if people were to find out. Can employees be fired for being gay and can landlords ask you to leave if they discover? We've also been trying to have a child, and I'm interested as to how we could expect hospitals to treat the non-birthmother, or even each other with health concerns, even if we have seemingly air-tight powers of attorney as per US standards. Thanks for any input.
jay

Zephyrhills, FL

#15 May 21, 2009
my wife is in love with cayman island and the people from the island
Ray Danbury

Allston, MA

#16 Jun 2, 2009
Are there gay organizations on the island? How is the catholic parish with regard to welcoming gays?
Bill in NY

Plattsburgh, NY

#17 Jan 11, 2010
Well after these posts I can see the 6 or 7 thousand dollars I am about to spend for my life partner , Ted , and myself to go on vacation, would be better spent elsewhere . Thanks for the post's
rsrtampa

United States

#18 Feb 9, 2011
My partner and I are going on a Celebrity Cruise that will stop in GC. I will be sure to spend very little money as possible on the ialand, that is if I even get off the ship at port. No place should be so bigoted and backwards. What are you the Alabama of the Caribean?
outtaPville

United States

#19 Feb 9, 2011
Norman0000 wrote:
I agree and by the way, Cayman isn't alone with demanding respect for its laws. In practically all Muslim countries, even straight people (foreign couples as well) will be arrested for any public display of affection. This goes for India as well while it isn't much of a big problem in the far east. Remember, Singapore, while considered oriental, is a Muslim state. What is so ironic is that affectionate physical contact between same sexes (such as holding hands while walking, kisses, hugs) is acceptable. Best to you.
One more voice

Toronto, Canada

#21 Mar 1, 2013
johnst wrote:
<quoted text> I think you have it right. Don't go there if you can't follow the rules
How about just change the discriminatory rules?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amherst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Sep 11 whimmersmith 4,702
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Diversity is a codeword for White Genocide Aug '14 598yio 1
Caution Re Michael Spink and Fraziero (Aug '10) Aug '14 Ooblobster 12
Nearly 6,000 attend Jehovah's Witness convention Aug '14 hello 46
Woods Hole Film Festival Gears Up for 23rd Year Jul '14 Cheryl D 1
Rock-climbing gardener' is new principal in Lev... Jul '14 JESC 1
•••
Amherst Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Amherst Jobs

•••