Man killed in wood chipper is identified

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Henry Lira, 60, has been identified as the county maintenance worker who died Monday morning after being pulled into a wood chipper.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated May 7, 2012
CapMom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Horrible - so sad. Condolences to the family, co-workers and witnesses.
Breathe

Daly City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

So sorry to hear about this loss. My family prayers for the victim and his family.

Any relation to Manuel Lira from Santa Cruz? I used to go to school with his kids.

god bless you in this time of pain and sorrow. Remember the good things about him.
Fourinone

Milpitas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Those chippers are horrendous and that business is one of the most dangerous out here. It should be a requirment that the operator be tied off to something so as not to get sucked in. If the operator unties then the machine shuts down. A kid on First street in San Jose tried to kick a stuck piece of wood and got sucked in legs first. Shouldn't happen.
getaclue

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Thoughts and prayers to the family.
terrible loss

Auburn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

I am grateful for the many years Mr. Lira served our county. This is a terrible loss. Thoughts and prayers are with the family.
getaclue

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Let's not do any speculating on this today. It can certainloy wait.....respect.
With sympathy

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

My deepest condolences to the Lira Family. My heartfelt prayers and thougths are with you.
A Friend

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Judged:

Henry, you were a good one - these younger guys don't have your work ethic and morals. You'll be terribly missed. Such an awful, awful accident. Condolences to all who were touched by him.
With Prayers

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

With thoughts and prayers to the victim's family. May it help knowing that so many of us are truly saddened by the accident that took your loved one.

Take care.
Whatever

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

Judged:

BPeed wrote:
Can anyone confirm here that Mr Lira lost an arm in another accident many years ago? I thought I heard his son from SD report this on the TV news last night. If this is true, why would the county let him work on a wood chipper?
the son told the reporter that his father was electrocuted while on the job 20 years ago and lost the use of his right arm. It seems Mr Lira had one hell of a work ethic and continued his job with the County. RIP Mr Lira
relative

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2012

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
the son told the reporter that his father was electrocuted while on the job 20 years ago and lost the use of his right arm. It seems Mr Lira had one hell of a work ethic and continued his job with the County. RIP Mr Lira
Your a idiot the son never said or spoke on television anything about any prior incidents. You are deliberately placing blame, you are very ill informed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Amesti Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Amesti People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••