CLOSING FOR GOOD: Some Ames businesses says there's too much flood ...

Full story: WHOtv

After record flooding in Ames, some businesses decide to throw in the towel. Residents can finally drink the water, which means homeowners and businesses can finally start cleaning up.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Sep 15, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dusabloom

Ankeny, IA

#1 Aug 16, 2010
There are already enough bars in Ames, so people will find other bars to go to.
One thing about an Alcoholic, he will not go without a drink for very long.
There are enough "boozers" in Ames already.
Dusabloom

Ankeny, IA

#2 Aug 16, 2010
I remember when the Ames City Officials told all new business, that S Duff Ave was a 500-yr flood plain.
Now, can you say you can believe anything they tell you, just to get your tax money.
Squaw Creek has been unpredictable ever since the City of Ames has been on the map. There is not enough space on this post, to list every time the water has been over its banks.
My family has several old pictures of Squaw Creek flooding when Duff Ave was still farmland. There has been times when water was 10-15 ft Where Duff Ave is now.
Only Mother Nature will predict when Squaw Creek will go on another rampage, so in the meantime, listen to the idiots who want your tax money, and come to Ames and build on S Duff Ave.
ANY BUSINESS PLACE ON DUFF AVE. NEAR SQUAW CREEK DESERVES TO GET THEIR FEET WET !!!
marge

Waterloo, IA

#3 Aug 16, 2010
Hey Kathy good to hear from you, John and Diane:)
Natalie

Frankford, DE

#4 Aug 16, 2010
Dusabloom wrote:
The number of "boozers" in Ames has nothing to do with the article.
Someone has lost their business, thus unemployed. Show some compassion or at least fake it.
Dr J

Ellsworth, IA

#5 Aug 16, 2010
Ames will always just be a flood just waiting to happen. I remember when they raised streets around Hilton and said that the two feet or so that they added would protect Hilton, Schemann, etc. from any future flood. The Fox Lounge is taking an intelligent step...move...too bad the folks at ISU aren't that wise...but of course they just have to jab the tax payers for their mistakes...whereas the Fox is a private businees...with no such deep pockets....
Erin Drake

United States

#6 Aug 17, 2010
Why am I not surprised that the selfish story county won't help it's citizens with flood debris pick up.

I suppose it's one of the many reasons I don't live in Story County. You would think with all the money the ocunty makes off of taxing it's citizens it could lend a hand in halping the devastated lives of it's people, I see clearly that this county and in particular Ames, which has always had a very selfish city councel,does not think much of it's responsibility to it's people. Remember the money Ames has is from those businesses and homeowners without whom the city of Ames would have nothing. It's an insult and a shame they cannot even offer some free debris pick up. Shame on you Ames.
Rascal

Des Moines, IA

#7 Aug 17, 2010
This is a shame. Our government is sending hundreds of millions to Pakistan to aid the flooding there. Our people need help here and our government won't help. The money being sent to Pakistan will be ripped off by those who are corrupt. Money spent here will help small business and our terribly sick economy. Hussein Obama is aiding his muslin people.
Sarah

Manchester, IA

#8 Aug 17, 2010
Dusabloom wrote:
The Fox wasn't about alcoholics you idiot. The Fox was a place for people who went there on a regular basis. Friends went there to get together. There was normally regulars in there. Very rarely did they just pack full of people. And when they did it was most people who already knew someone who was a regular there. People lost their business. It's sad. I wish they would think of opening up somewhere else but I can understand why not. Get over yourself and think of the people who actually got hurt by this.
Henry

Ankeny, IA

#9 Aug 17, 2010
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
The Fox wasn't about alcoholics you idiot. The Fox was a place for people who went there on a regular basis. Friends went there to get together. There was normally regulars in there. Very rarely did they just pack full of people. And when they did it was most people who already knew someone who was a regular there. People lost their business. It's sad. I wish they would think of opening up somewhere else but I can understand why not. Get over yourself and think of the people who actually got hurt by this.
They knew they were in flood zone.
Now they got their feet wet.
I DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR THEM !!!!
DR M Kinnard

Ankeny, IA

#10 Aug 17, 2010
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who would go to a tavern on a regular basis for alcoholic beverages, is considered an Alcoholic.
Tina

Cedar Rapids, IA

#11 Aug 17, 2010
It is a sad day that the Fox is closing. Obviously no one else responding was an ISU college student and resident of Ames for many years and had the fun gathering at the Fox that so many of us did. I am lucky to have wonderful friends and often we did gather at the fox to hang out and tell stories. If there happened to be a drink or two involved, so be it. Please don't judge how others socialize because you don't know how.
concernedfemale

Ames, IA

#12 Aug 17, 2010
As for the Fox, we shall miss it. We don't drink. We went to see friends and sing karoke. Not many places for non-college students to go in Ames. Yes it was in a flood plane but it has been there many years. Walmart BUILT in a flood plane.
As for the City - why are not picking up flood debri? You picked up tree debri a few weeks ago. That was also an act of nature. What's the difference here? Take your thumbs out and help these people.
CLOSE ALL BARS

Baxter, IA

#13 Aug 17, 2010
Bars are a cesspool. Bars ownrs are nothing more then drug dealers selling their drugs to the people. Lawmakers ban K-2 cuz some retard kills himself after smoking it but how many people in Ames alone have died after drinking?
Snap68

Milton, FL

#14 Aug 17, 2010
I worked at the Fox while in college during the early '90s. It flooded twice while I worked there-- It was a fun place, a safe place, where everyone knew your name. Sorry to hear Kathy closing after all these years but that little building probably just can't take any more. It's sad that so many people can joke about someone losing their livelyhood. Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic.
Drinks and is proud

Newton, IA

#15 Aug 17, 2010
To all you teetotallers get a life, if you choose not to drinks, thats perfectly fine, but there are lots of us out here who enjoy drinking responsibly. Dont throw your holyer than thou BS on me, your 4 cups of coffee in the morning will kill you faster than my 4 beers. You people make me laugh, i usually dont respond to idiots like yourselves, because thats what you want, but soemone lost a business here, so take your Fresca, and stick it where the sun dont shine.
As the great Frank Sinatra said:
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
DR M Kinnard

Ankeny, IA

#16 Aug 17, 2010
Drinks and is proud wrote:
To all you teetotallers get a life, if you choose not to drinks, thats perfectly fine, but there are lots of us out here who enjoy drinking responsibly. Dont throw your holyer than thou BS on me, your 4 cups of coffee in the morning will kill you faster than my 4 beers. You people make me laugh, i usually dont respond to idiots like yourselves, because thats what you want, but soemone lost a business here, so take your Fresca, and stick it where the sun dont shine.
As the great Frank Sinatra said:
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
If I remember right Mr. Sinatra ran the streets with the hoods in Hoboken NJ in his younger years, was married to (4) different women, and finally end up dying of Senile Dementia, followed by several Heart Attacks.
NOW!! I would just about have to say his "Smokin" & Drinking" contributed to most of his health problems.
You claim to drink your (4) beers daily and I have noticed you may have already started to suffer with Senile Dementia, since you have just miss spelled several simple words in your comment.
"BETTER GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF YOUNGSTER"
DR M Kinnard

West Des Moines, IA

#17 Aug 17, 2010
Please excuse my earlier comments. I am a social reject who has no life and try to make up for that fact by mocking people who have just lost their businesses. I cry myself to sleep every night I secretly drink myself into a comma.
Harley Rider

Ankeny, IA

#18 Aug 17, 2010
DR M Kinnard wrote:
Please excuse my earlier comments. I am a social reject who has no life and try to make up for that fact by mocking people who have just lost their businesses. I cry myself to sleep every night I secretly drink myself into a comma.
This looks to me a total SPAM.
I do not think you tried very hard to convince anyone !!!!!
LOL !!!!!!
Bob

Ankeny, IA

#19 Aug 17, 2010
Fox was a cozy little place for a college date, away from the noise and crowds of the campustown places, nice laid back atmosphere

Sorry to see it go
Carl

Greenfield, IA

#20 Aug 18, 2010
DR M Kinnard wrote:
<quoted text>If I remember right Mr. Sinatra ran the streets with the hoods in Hoboken NJ in his younger years, was married to (4) different women, and finally end up dying of Senile Dementia, followed by several Heart Attacks.
NOW!! I would just about have to say his "Smokin" & Drinking" contributed to most of his health problems.
You claim to drink your (4) beers daily and I have noticed you may have already started to suffer with Senile Dementia, since you have just miss spelled several simple words in your comment.
"BETTER GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF YOUNGSTER"
You might also check for grammar dip $hit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ames Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 11 Go Blue Forever 63
IA Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
Former Iowa State Patrol trooper placed on prob... (Apr '06) May '14 Denison 23
Stacie Pearson May '14 Guest 1
ISU President Forms VESHIA Task Force Apr '14 vincent donohoe 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Ames, IA (Jan '12) Apr '14 Ron Murphy 10
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
•••
•••
•••

Ames Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••