BODY FOUND: Police investigating body...

BODY FOUND: Police investigating body found on ISU campus

There are 53 comments on the WHOtv story from Apr 15, 2010, titled BODY FOUND: Police investigating body found on ISU campus. In it, WHOtv reports that:

Several law enforcement agencies are investigating a body found on the old Iowa State University Dairy Farm.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Liberalgoals

Des Moines, IA

#1 Apr 15, 2010
so sad
Whatever

Osceola, IA

#2 Apr 15, 2010
This is so sad. I hope that this brings closer to a family that has a missing loved one.
taxpayer

Pomeroy, IA

#3 Apr 15, 2010
So sad hope the helps the family with unanswered questions. Thoughts and prayers are with them.
LESN

Ames, IA

#4 Apr 15, 2010
I personally don't believe Jon was the type that would have gotten drunk and wondered over to the ISU farm. I know several people are thinking this but I truly believe someone else was responsible. I cried when I heard this story - I feel so badly for the family. I pray for all involved. Even the person that may know more about this story ~ for the families sake.
whimsical

Johnston, IA

#5 Apr 15, 2010
I was at first hopeful that this found body would be that of Jon Lacina. His family has been through enough. After hearing that this barn was searched, I now hope it is not this young man. If it is, that could mean the beginning of an entirely new investigation. I am so sorry for his family and friends.
SuzyQ

Ames, IA

#6 Apr 15, 2010
You all are assuming this is Jon. I go to school at ISU, there are rumors everywhere. There in no way has been any information linking this body to Jon Lacina. I'm not saying the probability isn't high, I'm just saying that there is at this time, nothing released that says it is. This is how rumors start. This story doesn't say it was Jon, this story is simply stating that a student is missing.. that is all.
Confused

Story City, IA

#7 Apr 15, 2010
So after 2 "thorough" searches of all ISU Buildings and grounds....How could there have been a body there this whole time? Sounds like someone didn't do their Job at least twice.

Jan. 31, 4:30 p.m.
After dusk (Jan. 31), the search for missing student Jon Lacina will move inside. ISU Police Chief Jerry Stewart said university staff intend to search every vacant residence hall room and all rooms in Buchanan Hall, Lacina's residence, tonight. Tomorrow morning (Feb. 1), custodians and area mechanics in ISU's Facilities Planning & Management Department will be urged to thoroughly check campus buildings, especially remote areas: steam tunnels, mechanical rooms and storage closets.
Police also encourage members of the Ames community to check in and around their property. If anything suspicious or unusual is found -- such as a cell phone, wallet or clothing -- don't touch it.

AMA

Ames, IA

#8 Apr 15, 2010
Confused wrote:
So after 2 "thorough" searches of all ISU Buildings and grounds....How could there have been a body there this whole time? Sounds like someone didn't do their Job at least twice.
Jan. 31, 4:30 p.m.
After dusk (Jan. 31), the search for missing student Jon Lacina will move inside. ISU Police Chief Jerry Stewart said university staff intend to search every vacant residence hall room and all rooms in Buchanan Hall, Lacina's residence, tonight. Tomorrow morning (Feb. 1), custodians and area mechanics in ISU's Facilities Planning & Management Department will be urged to thoroughly check campus buildings, especially remote areas: steam tunnels, mechanical rooms and storage closets.
Police also encourage members of the Ames community to check in and around their property. If anything suspicious or unusual is found -- such as a cell phone, wallet or clothing -- don't touch it.
I thought the same thing when I read the article, I don't get how they would not search an abandoned building of all places
idea

Des Moines, IA

#9 Apr 15, 2010
AMA wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the same thing when I read the article, I don't get how they would not search an abandoned building of all places
Anyone think that the guily party may have been nervous that the investigation was on going....scared they'd be found. Knew that the grounds had already been searched a couple times. So they disgarded the body where they "thought" would not be searched again.
Sue

Davenport, IA

#10 Apr 15, 2010
I agree about the 'thorough' search that was done, how could they not consider the out buildings. Also if these building were locked because they were not used,'someone' has access to that building.
someone who knows

Boone, IA

#11 Apr 15, 2010
A) My father was one of the searchers of the inside buildings. He searched every elevator shaft, mechanical room he had access to until the search was called off. He's continued searching as he works. He does not go to the Vet buildings, so I can't speak for that. But I do know that he's continued searching even after searches have been called off.

B) I know someone connected to the investigation. He told me and a mutual friend some information that was NOT released to the media. If this is Jon Lacina, it explains some of it.

C) As said above, it could be anyone. It's not necessarily Jon. Honestly, I hope it is for the sake of the family having peace.

D) As for Jon...if it was him, we may never know if he simply wandered there, or else he was taken and his body abandoned there at some point. It's frightening being a single woman living alone.
Brenda

United States

#12 Apr 15, 2010
I certainly hope that this is the missing student not to cause more grief on the family but to bring them some kind of closure. I feel for his family.
ABC

Des Moines, IA

#13 Apr 15, 2010
Well all of you can stop going back and forth about if it is him or not! They just confirmed it that it is him.

I went to Highschool with Jon and i know he did not just wonder out there by himself. Someone put him there... Jon was a very talented and nice kid!

Jon: The class of 2007 will miss you forever, but never will forget you and how you touched some of our lives. We are all praying for your family!
Sad

Oelwein, IA

#14 Apr 15, 2010
As a friend I am thankful to all of those ISU police officers who have worked so hard.Thoughts and prayers are with his family as they deal with this situation. I know Jon was not the type to get drunk and stumble around campus. So may justice find those involved. This was not an accident!
Robert Nielsen

United States

#15 Apr 15, 2010
According to Iowa State Daily, Joe Lacina HAS CONFIRMED (Caps for emphasis only) that the body is that of his brother, John. This was posted as of 2:00 PM CDT.
ankcitz

Columbus, GA

#16 Apr 15, 2010
ISU campus isnt THAT big. They should have reinspected the grounds (and bldgs) weekly.
I hope they re-evaluate their investigative procedures from now on.
BESAFE

Story City, IA

#17 Apr 15, 2010
Goes to prove no matter what gender you are, go in twos! Also, someone had to have seen something. So we all should note to ourselves or someone else if we see something odd,even something really minor or remote. Maybe even write it down if you dont want to tell someone. I can't beleive that for an early Friday night in that area of a university town, nobody was out and about and they did not see anthing?
Do not be dumb

Oelwein, IA

#18 Apr 15, 2010
ankcitz wrote:
ISU campus isnt THAT big. They should have reinspected the grounds (and bldgs) weekly.
I hope they re-evaluate their investigative procedures from now on.
Before we start accusing people of not doing their jobs, I would have the facts first. ISU out sourced the search to a professional search crew. The area was checked more than once. But let's not forget the 3+ feet of snow that fell the week between Jon going missing and the search starting, or the snow that continued to fall after that.
ISU police have still been searching along with ISU DPS, even though the professional search was over. The office who found the body last night was in on his own accord to continue in helping in the search. These men and women have been doing all they could to find him, on top of doing their regular jobs. They deserve thanks.
concerned in ames

Hedrick, IA

#19 Apr 15, 2010
real nice, if it turns out to be the missing boy, what does that say for local law enforcement, 7/10ths of a mile from his last known location and "every stone unturned" well not exactly, somebody has some explaining to do.
2500v10mere

United States

#20 Apr 15, 2010
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Lacina family and friends!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ames Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hookup! Mar '17 SlimGravy 1
News Former Iowa State Patrol trooper placed on prob... (Apr '06) Mar '17 Whatsamatter 24
News How Canada Curbed Foreign Workers and Hobbled I... Feb '17 wheres the beef 1
Haunted Houses in Nevada,IA? (Nov '13) Dec '16 Lindsay sublette 2
anybody know a todd or teresa peterson (Feb '09) Dec '16 jjdecker 3
Vote TRUMP-all-Rep., Dem., Bernie Supporters, S... (Nov '16) Nov '16 ClintonCorruption 1
News Lucky? Hillary Clinton Wins All 6 Coin Tosses I... (Feb '16) Nov '16 ClintonCorruption 11

Ames Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ames Mortgages