Cuts fuel safety concerns

Cuts fuel safety concerns

There are 88 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Mar 12, 2009, titled Cuts fuel safety concerns. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

City public safety officials warned Tuesday that if severe public safety cuts are made, 70 percent of Vallejoans could live outside a nationally standardized response zone during a fire emergency.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

Spirit_of_St_Lou is

United States

#62 Mar 12, 2009
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks
No need to tread lightly. Other than VHS, I don't give much credence to anything these last few blow hards have to say. It really just comes down to finances and all their whining doesn't change the fact that Vallejo can't afford the contracts.
It's that simple
Does yard dogs mean anything to you?
You can't be serious? I do not like their music.
interesting

Napa, CA

#63 Mar 12, 2009
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done it. If it's so tiring maybe the department should abandon the 48/96 schedule and go back to a 3/4 or a 4/6.
What do you mean by "I've done it"? Regardless of the schedule firefighters still work the same work week and will have the same amount of overtime. Why would you want to change their schedule?
Jakob Qualgeist

Auburn, CA

#64 Mar 12, 2009
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks
No need to tread lightly. Other than VHS, I don't give much credence to anything these last few blow hards have to say. It really just comes down to finances and all their whining doesn't change the fact that Vallejo can't afford the contracts.
It's that simple
Here you are. www.rpdjob1.com

Base salary for academy graduate 78,162
Top step proficent officer $122,976 (through July 1, 2012). You can do the rest of the work blow hard.
interesting

Napa, CA

#65 Mar 12, 2009
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks
It's that simple
Thanks, appreciate the vote of confidence.

Richmond's MOU page :

http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/index.asp...

They have salary scheduels attached.
Jakob Qualgeist

Auburn, CA

#66 Mar 12, 2009
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by "I've done it"? Regardless of the schedule firefighters still work the same work week and will have the same amount of overtime. Why would you want to change their schedule?
Is it me or does this Captain dude sound a lot like Mark Gorman (I misspelled it on purpose, let's see if he figures it out).
Spirit_of_St_Lou is

United States

#67 Mar 12, 2009
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, appreciate the vote of confidence.
Richmond's MOU page :
http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/index.asp...
They have salary scheduels attached.
Interesting:

Is there a story here. I looked at the Richmond contract and the dollars being presented included longevity and other incentives? It looks to me that measuring the same items for what is currently being paid, Oakland makes more than Richmond. It is certainly not fair to compare today's salary in one department to the salary of another 3 years from now. Facts are facts, where ever they lead us, but I do not get the point that the Richmond pay illustrates. Why bother with Richmond, just roll out Oakland.
Cops-FFs-Welfare Queens

Pomona, CA

#68 Mar 12, 2009
Jakob Qualgeist wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you are. www.rpdjob1.com
Base salary for academy graduate 78,162
Top step proficent officer $122,976 (through July 1, 2012). You can do the rest of the work blow hard.
hahaha...richmond will be filing BK next!
dalmationsalvati on

United States

#69 Mar 13, 2009
Only one solution before and after bankruptcy...lower wages and retirement funding. There isn't any money and won't be for a long time.The city pays too much more than it can afford. We don't have to fire people we just need to lower their salaries. If they leave there will be many to take their place. There is no shortage of unemployed good people to take their place. Other fireman in other states who make 30000 a year could easily move here and bye a house for a firefighters startin wagestarting wage.I don't hate the VFD just the union thugs who would rather see their brothers lose a job than take a pay cut. They're like fish who eat their young.
ShowMeTheMoney

Napa, CA

#70 Mar 13, 2009
I see the apologists are frothing at the mouth again. Pull up any article from any one of the multiple cities that are facing budget shortfalls, then read the comments. If you remove the name of the city, the comments on the blogs are identical. The majority of people in these other cities are saying the same thing people in Vallejo are saying: cut the salaries and benefits, hire more employees. Guess all these other cities have what the community haters refer to as VIB'ers too! Guess the ranks are growing and with chapters in every city even! But if you read the comments here, one might think that Vallejo is the only city that is feeling the pinch and thereby picking on public safety. What a bunch of malarkey. This same scenerio is being played out all over the country. The psu's need to get a clue and start figuring out how you can help the city live within it's budget and still function.
BlackHoleCity

San Mateo, CA

#71 Mar 13, 2009
ShowMeTheMoney wrote:
I see the apologists are frothing at the mouth again. Pull up any article from any one of the multiple cities that are facing budget shortfalls, then read the comments. If you remove the name of the city, the comments on the blogs are identical. The majority of people in these other cities are saying the same thing people in Vallejo are saying: cut the salaries and benefits, hire more employees. Guess all these other cities have what the community haters refer to as VIB'ers too! Guess the ranks are growing and with chapters in every city even! But if you read the comments here, one might think that Vallejo is the only city that is feeling the pinch and thereby picking on public safety. What a bunch of malarkey. This same scenerio is being played out all over the country. The psu's need to get a clue and start figuring out how you can help the city live within it's budget and still function.
Well, maybe so, but Vallejo had plenty of revenue generating opportunities that were ignored in the "re-invention' scheme favored by folks like ex-Mayor Cloutier, "Dear Ms. Gomes", and "Mr. Integrity".
The majority still value our public safety component.
Open all the VIB chapters you want. You have missed all the clues also.
VHS

San Mateo, CA

#72 Mar 13, 2009
ShowMeTheMoney wrote:
I tend to agree with what you are describing but I still don't understand your central point in this whole debacle. One position you all take is to say that Vallejo is unique and 1186 is unique in their greed and Binding Arbitration is rare and these things are at are root of Vallejo's problems.

Then you all switch the central point in your argument and point out that Vallejo is no different that many, many other cities in California facing bankruptcy. Most of these other cities don't have binding arbitration, 1186 or even Kurt Henke.

So which is it? Vallejo is unique or Vallejo is not unique?
call me collette

Fairfield, CA

#73 Mar 13, 2009
VHS wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to agree with what you are describing but I still don't understand your central point in this whole debacle. One position you all take is to say that Vallejo is unique and 1186 is unique in their greed and Binding Arbitration is rare and these things are at are root of Vallejo's problems.
Then you all switch the central point in your argument and point out that Vallejo is no different that many, many other cities in California facing bankruptcy. Most of these other cities don't have binding arbitration, 1186 or even Kurt Henke.
it's called "vibocritical thinking". use whatever seems to bolster your position at the moment and disregard previous claims.
same applies to "vibenomics"
Cops-FFs-Welfare Queens

Pomona, CA

#74 Mar 13, 2009
VHS wrote:
<quoted text>
Binding arbitration is RARE. No one has it but Vallejo and a handful of other cities.

Get serious
shANUS n traiTARDs ghost

Pleasant Hill, CA

#75 Mar 13, 2009
For the PSU's and their apologists whining about their slop trough being emptied out, they might consider the further implications if the voters reject their pleas for higher taxes next November. And with the bigger picture the Howard Jarvis taxpayers association has recently come out against Prop 1A.

http://orangejuiceblog.com/2009/03/howard-jar...

http://www.thepolicyreport.net/category/howar...
anon

United States

#76 Mar 13, 2009
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you can provide the link that confirms this. I couldn't.
You are the one who made the false statement, AKA LIE,if it is not a liem show ME the links . It is common for you to just make up BS. These apparently new posters don't seem to know your record of lying
shANUS n traiTARDs ghost

Pleasant Hill, CA

#77 Mar 13, 2009
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who made the false statement, AKA LIE,if it is not a liem show ME the links . It is common for you to just make up BS. These apparently new posters don't seem to know your record of lying
Well then you can easily make him a liar if you provide the link.
Cops-FFs-Welfare Queens

Pomona, CA

#78 Mar 13, 2009
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
welfare queen metldown
VHS

San Mateo, CA

#79 Mar 13, 2009
Cops-FFs-Welfare Queens wrote:
<quoted text>
Binding arbitration is RARE. No one has it but Vallejo and a handful of other cities.
Get serious
OK I believe you Queen. So given that BA is RARE and Vallejo is facing the same economic challenges as many other cities, I don't think we should waste time and effort on side issues like BA or the city charter. To me these are a distraction that divert our attention away from the most difficult problems of creating jobs, business and industry in Vallejo. I also add to that the elimination of all redevelopment projects and the reduction of the VHA department and the reduction in the number of low income units we are required to maintain. So many of these other temper tantrum issues, in my opinion, are a waste of time.
anon

Vallejo, CA

#80 Mar 13, 2009
shANUS n traiTARDs ghost wrote:
<quoted text>Well then you can easily make him a liar if you provide the link.
Scroll to page #9

http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/DocumentView.asp...
New Face

United States

#81 Mar 13, 2009
VHS wrote:
Richmond is a sister city of Vallejo. Very, very, close in terms of crime, land mass, racial mix. The one big advantage they have over us is a strong industrial base. note the extra $20 mil in taxes they generate.
Funny thing is that Vallejo could of had the extra tax base, but all of the past and present city council have turned down any BIG industry that wants to come here. All they do is "talk" no action. No the entire city will suffer for many years. Vallejo will be a breading ground for crime and you know what.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Canyon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vallejo bums burn down historic home 1 hr Paul Kersey 5
Poll First year report card = Should City Manager Ke... (Mar '13) 3 hr decent bob 45
Possible movement in effort to save Mare Island... 8 hr Anonymous 9
Kranda named SolTrans' new executive director 14 hr Enter Username 3
California Imam Prays for Allah to ‘Annihilate’... 14 hr no go zones 3
California May Issue License Plates Celebrating... 16 hr Wanglow 2
Recuse is Back 17 hr Enter Username 6

American Canyon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

American Canyon Mortgages