who on here is worth talking or posting to?

Posted in the Ambrose Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NO Gossip

Douglas, GA

#1 Aug 5, 2012
Who on this forum is worth responding to and who should just be avoided? Is there anyone on here that really wants to post discussions or topics?

I started looking on the Douglas Topix site thinking that it would be a good place to see what is going on around Douglas. I thought maybe events that would interest me, my child or my husband. There might be posts about someone looking for something like toddler clothes and I could help out or someone might want to make some friends or share good information.
Most, not all, of the posts on here are slander, negative, or hurtful. Even when someone starts a good topix it has to be redirected to something that hurts others. I have lived in this town since 1989. The south is known for southern hospitality. Yet most of the neighbors do not even speak to each other. The deep south is known for Christian values but it seems like even if they can quote the bible, they hide behind fictitious names and ruin their neighbors.
When I first came here I thought maybe it was just me. I didn't dress like everyone else, or did not have a southern drawl, I accepted that kids were kids and went on with my life. As I go down the posts I really wonder where the kids got it from. These are adults acting like children.

Be sarcastic, correct my grammar, be rude because it does not matter. I am honestly wondering if anyone here can open a topic and really has good intensions?
nope

Rochelle, GA

#2 Aug 5, 2012
Trust me, nobody on here is worth talking to or has good intentions. I suggest getting a facebook and finding the local pages.
nope

Rochelle, GA

#3 Aug 5, 2012
Douglas classifieds is on facebook and a great place to post items or look for info.

“Play it again, Sam.”

Since: Oct 11

Casablanca

#4 Aug 5, 2012
Of course there are good people on this forum.

The problem is that you focus on the handful of completely jerk-offish people who log on here to hurt people.

Ignore them and focus on the ones that actually have something to say. There are a dozen people on here with brilliant minds and even more brilliant things to discuss. There are also dozens of people who read the posts on here. Just because people don't post, doesn't mean they don't read.
NO Gossip

Douglas, GA

#5 Aug 5, 2012
looked for a douglas facebook page wish I could find one. I do use the Douglas classified it is a good place for swapping and selling. I just wish this topix was used for the intensions it was created for. A few friends were talking about posting on topix for a walking group or to find some more kids for playdates at the park (toddlers not what dirty minded people could come up with) and they asked me if I would post it. I had to explain to them it would be a bad idea. Its bad when you are afraid to put a fun post on a local sight like this because of peoples rude comments.

Thanks for being honest.
NO Gossip

Douglas, GA

#6 Aug 5, 2012
L_E_Terrell wrote:
Of course there are good people on this forum.
The problem is that you focus on the handful of completely jerk-offish people who log on here to hurt people.
Ignore them and focus on the ones that actually have something to say. There are a dozen people on here with brilliant minds and even more brilliant things to discuss. There are also dozens of people who read the posts on here. Just because people don't post, doesn't mean they don't read.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good debate about politics, or current events. This town has a community college, and a tech school and I hope most people take the opportunity to use it. The minority just seems to be the majority lately.
nope

Rochelle, GA

#7 Aug 5, 2012
I would love a page on facebook that people could use for playdates and information. Having lived in other places, I know we are really lacking around here when it comes to mommy groups, La Leche League, dinner clubs, book clubs, etc. I've looked into excercise websites for buddies, but there is never anything local. Same thing for babysitters on care.com . I think there are people around here that are decent looking for the same thing, but we don't know how to connect to each other! Douglas is hard to crack into if you are new and all the good ones leave.
Southern Belle

Douglas, GA

#8 Aug 5, 2012
I agree with LETerrell. Judging from some of the comments, I believe some of the posters are children. Many others have political ambitions and they (or their supporters) believe that bashing the opponent on Topix is a good strategy.

I've seen a few good discussions, but you have to look beyond the ones written by immature people.

One thing you must remember is that we sometimes do not agree, and are more open to say so because we are anonymous. Of course, there are unintelligent people who disagree and because they don't know how to argue intelligently they resort to name calling and cursing, but it's easy to recognize them.

Unfortunately, nope is correct. If you don't want to deal with the immature or mentally challenged posters, you'd be better off getting on Facebook. On the other hand, I sometimes question my Facebook friend choices.

Nevertheless, please don't judge us all by the few children or idiots who do not know how to properly express themselves. Some of us do have a thread of intelligence.
Southern Belle

Douglas, GA

#9 Aug 5, 2012
NO Gossip wrote:
looked for a douglas facebook page wish I could find one. I do use the Douglas classified it is a good place for swapping and selling. I just wish this topix was used for the intensions it was created for. A few friends were talking about posting on topix for a walking group or to find some more kids for playdates at the park (toddlers not what dirty minded people could come up with) and they asked me if I would post it. I had to explain to them it would be a bad idea. Its bad when you are afraid to put a fun post on a local sight like this because of peoples rude comments.
Thanks for being honest.
I do agree that it would be wonderful it this forum were used to inform of local happenings, swapping, selling, etc. But I don't think that will ever happen unless the creators of the site start requiring true names, or at least limit pseudonyms to one or two per IP address.

“Play it again, Sam.”

Casablanca

#10 Aug 5, 2012
NO Gossip wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good debate about politics, or current events. This town has a community college, and a tech school and I hope most people take the opportunity to use it. The minority just seems to be the majority lately.
If you pay really close attention to the way people type, their locations, the sort of ridiculous nicknames they use and the like, you'll begin to notice something. They're all the same people.

Think about it. On a thread like this one, you have four or five logical postings where people are actually responding to your thread...and then you have 10 or 12 jerks who do nothing but fill up about 6 pages of spam talking trash about you or whatever it is you're discussing. Those 10 or 12 people, if you look REALLY hard at the STYLE of the writing, the common spelling errors, the moronic names they choose, they're all the same 4 people using different names.

When you ignore them, they move on to someone else. Their new favorite target at the moment is SusieQ. If she argues with them, they'll harass her for as long as she allows them to. If she ignores them, they'll move on to someone else.

There are NOT that many hateful people who frequent this board - I promise you. It's simply that it's their voice you choose to see.

Ignore them.

Post whatever you want.

If they say something offensive on your thread, you have three choices. You can argue with them and they can derail your entire thread and post nastiness on it. You can ignore them and make them stomp around like toddlers.(this is my favorite - I have to tell you) or three, you can simply REPORT their posts and have their disgusting stuff deleted. That's kind of a favorite of mine too, I can't lie.

This is a community forum. You're a part of this community and you shouldn't feel like you can't post community related topics because a handful of infantile idiots like to hurt other people.
NO Gossip

Douglas, GA

#11 Aug 5, 2012
I didnt think of it being the same people. I only use one screen name on here and it never crossed my mind about changing it. I know I have had discussions with a few that seemed interesting and the next week I may post to the same person (or should I say the same name) and their tone is totally off. I am starting to think there may be more than one SusieQ lol.

I guess everyone is human and every once in a while I get frustrated and was just on a rant tonight.

Everyone have a good night....
NO Gossip

Douglas, GA

#12 Aug 5, 2012
nope wrote:
I would love a page on facebook that people could use for playdates and information. Having lived in other places, I know we are really lacking around here when it comes to mommy groups, La Leche League, dinner clubs, book clubs, etc. I've looked into excercise websites for buddies, but there is never anything local. Same thing for babysitters on care.com . I think there are people around here that are decent looking for the same thing, but we don't know how to connect to each other! Douglas is hard to crack into if you are new and all the good ones leave.
Yeah you can tell you have travelled lol. I have not heard La Leche League in this town ever lets see spanish for milk I do believe. Mommy groups a few of us meet at just jump but its more like watching the kids play while we munch on pizza or popcorn and laugh at the kids. This leaves a need for an exercise group but the walking trail and track will have to do for now. I have a two year old foster baby so the mommy group is a new concept to me and I have not found much when I did look. I just assumed working full time the mommies just meet in the mornings. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one wondering where this stuff is :)
NO Gossip

Douglas, GA

#13 Aug 5, 2012
Oh and the topix website is messing up tonight anyway. It has posted everything twice and for some reason I am listed as waycross instead of Douglas, go figure
nope

Rochelle, GA

#14 Aug 5, 2012
Maybe some good will come out of this and someone will create a local facebook page or new forum that is moderated. There is always hope!

“Play it again, Sam.”

Casablanca

#15 Aug 5, 2012
NO Gossip wrote:
I didnt think of it being the same people. I only use one screen name on here and it never crossed my mind about changing it. I know I have had discussions with a few that seemed interesting and the next week I may post to the same person (or should I say the same name) and their tone is totally off. I am starting to think there may be more than one SusieQ lol.
I guess everyone is human and every once in a while I get frustrated and was just on a rant tonight.
Everyone have a good night....
SusieQ is a very intelligent woman. She sometimes lets the idiots on this board get under her skin. When she gets frustrated she often loses her ability to articulate herself as well as she'd like. It happens to all of us at one point or another. As for the multiple personalities of SusieQ - they're not her. They're the handful of idiots of I was telling you about. They often post under Bills name as well as Gunrunners. They think it's funny to impersonate people that others respect on this forum and try to turn people against them.

Have a good night. I'm off to bed after I set the DVR to record the Mars landing! Though, with Mediastream sucking the way it has been...I'm not even sure it'll record. blah!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#16 Aug 5, 2012
L_E_Terrell wrote:
<quoted text
Have a good night. I'm off to bed after I set the DVR to record the Mars landing! Though, with Mediastream sucking the way it has been...I'm not even sure it'll record. blah!
Mars landing too cool now that is worth posting hubby has to see this He actually has a plot on mars map deed and all. Why? Dont ask me he is strange. Have a good night and thanks for posting the link
Forever KH

Adel, GA

#17 Aug 5, 2012
You can create a group on Facebook.
mouthofdasouth

Fitzgerald, GA

#18 Aug 7, 2012
there is a group on facebook recently started called coffee county-helping hand. its purpose is to help those in need even if it is just advice given, and to not waste things by throwing it out but to give it to someone who might need it. your idea for a walking group or childrens playdates would be a excellent thing to post on there go and check it out. it recently opened so there is not much posted on there yet. but i beleive it could be a good thing. god bless!
lol

Enfield, IL

#19 Aug 7, 2012
Le go die lol

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#20 Aug 8, 2012
mouthofdasouth wrote:
there is a group on facebook recently started called coffee county-helping hand. its purpose is to help those in need even if it is just advice given, and to not waste things by throwing it out but to give it to someone who might need it. your idea for a walking group or childrens playdates would be a excellent thing to post on there go and check it out. it recently opened so there is not much posted on there yet. but i beleive it could be a good thing. god bless!
Thanks will do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ambrose Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help for heart to heart outreach 1 hr angie 3
cheating minister (Oct '12) 1 hr amen 10
Straight talk phones 1 hr curious 1
Wal-Mart management (Jun '14) 2 hr Susie blue 23
road closed 3 hr chili bean 2
Tutor needed 5 hr Dgls 5
Career Academy? (Apr '13) 5 hr COD2014 85
Ambrose Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Ambrose People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ambrose News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ambrose

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
NBC Sports10:54 AM
Weatherspoon predicts a sweep of the "Aints"
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak
NFL12:33 PM
Bortles earns 'mostly positive reviews' from Jaguars