Religion in the Public School

Posted in the Amarillo Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Live, Laugh, Love”

Since: Apr 07

Amarillo

#1 Apr 17, 2007
I dont think that it is right that the only type of religion that we get in public schooling is that of the 'moment of silence.' Sure we can slip something in here and there in say, a speech, but that is the only thing that we can do. We are missing out on such a great conversation of life. Tell me how YOU feel on this issue!

Since: Jan 07

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2007
Back when i was a kid in school we had prayer in our schools.
There was no school shootings then and no violence hardly at all.
Since they have taken God out of our school system there is no good education anymore and there is so much hatred and violence.
I say put religion back in the school system.
Crystal

Amarillo, TX

#3 Jun 12, 2007
I say shun! shun the crazy people trying to foist their religion on my children! SHUN!
Satan

Amarillo, TX

#4 Jun 13, 2007
There's a little thing called "seperation of church and state" so if you want your little brats to have religion in school then send them to a private religious school and stop trying to shove your religion onto everyone in the community.
lord_jesus

Amarillo, TX

#5 Jun 13, 2007
To say that prayer is what kept violence out of school is so outlandishly ridiculous I think my brain is bleeding. As if that's the only thing that's changed....And when was prayer in school? As far as I know, it's always been as illegal as it always should be. The constitution grants us separation of church and state; the distance between these institutions is the true measure of freedom. If you want to pray, do it in your head. The bible even makes a reference slandering the vain men who pray on the street corners,'where they can be seen by man.'
Just think how you would like it if your child was the only christian in his or her school...would you want all the other children worshipping the great Prince of Darkness in the middle of the classroom? No, you'd be outraged. So think about the children of other faiths who would rather pursue an education than hear about your imaginary friends.
It's not that prayer is wrong, it's just that there's a time and a place for everything. There's nothing wrong with sex, but would you do it in a kindergarten classroom?
Besides, if your god is so great, why do you need to pray to him all the time? Why the incessant supplication and obiescence? Is his 'perfection' not good enough?
crystal the omnipotent

Amarillo, TX

#6 Jun 13, 2007
No of course not, all dieties pale in comparison to the carby goodness of the great FSM. Hail his sweet saucy awesomeness.

“Jebus?! Jebus? Where are you?”

Since: Jun 07

Ama-Hell-o, Tx

#7 Jun 14, 2007
crystal the omnipotent wrote:
No of course not, all dieties pale in comparison to the carby goodness of the great FSM. Hail his sweet saucy awesomeness.
RAmen
Dale

AOL

#8 Jun 22, 2007
one nation under god what was it this country was founded on??
Crystal

Amarillo, TX

#9 Jun 23, 2007
SHUT UP!!!!!!!!
Washington was a freemason and Jefferson was an athiest! Oh yeah and the "one nation under God wanted added till the 50's...
idiot.

“God is Dead.”

Since: Jun 07

Lincoln, NE

#10 Jun 23, 2007
Seriously, Dale, research American history. You live here, you should know it. 1953 was when that icky phrase was added to the pledge. And think again if you think we were founded to be a christian country.
Dale

AOL

#11 Jun 23, 2007
ok true
Damion

United States

#12 Jun 23, 2007
Why does it bother you if prayer is herd in schools or not? Who does it hurt? If it bothers you send your kid to a private school or home school them. But just because you dont like praying to someone elses god or any god in general doesnt give you the right to impose your belief on the majority of people that do!!!!!!!!!!

“Jebus?! Jebus? Where are you?”

Since: Jun 07

Ama-Hell-o, Tx

#13 Jun 24, 2007
Damion wrote:
Why does it bother you if prayer is herd in schools or not? Who does it hurt? If it bothers you send your kid to a private school or home school them. But just because you dont like praying to someone elses god or any god in general doesnt give you the right to impose your belief on the majority of people that do!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, well the majority shouldn't be able to force their religion on the minorities. Just because I believe in the love of Our Great Dark Lord, doesn't mean that I expect everyone to agree and pray to him. So I guess if you wanted to be fair, kids could pray to a different diety every hour and then everything would be okay, but that is clearly not what you're hoping for, you want the Christian God to be prayed to and no other gods and fortunately that's why we have seperation of church and state.

Hail the Prince of Darkness

“God is Dead.”

Since: Jun 07

Lincoln, NE

#14 Jun 24, 2007
Damion wrote:
Why does it bother you if prayer is herd in schools or not? Who does it hurt? If it bothers you send your kid to a private school or home school them. But just because you dont like praying to someone elses god or any god in general doesnt give you the right to impose your belief on the majority of people that do!!!!!!!!!!
It bothers me because it's not right. If I wanted my kids to hear a bunch of christian lies, I'd send them to church. In a public school, which is constitutionally deemed a secular institution, prayer should not be tolerated. If you want to pray, do it in private, like it says in the bible. If you want your kids to pray, you send them to a private school, and if you don't like it, well, that's the way it is so deal with it! I'm not saying prayer is wrong, but would you have sex in a public classroom? There's a time and a place for everything, and I want my kid to learn an unbiased secular education. Prayer would hurt my child.
And just because you have your beliefs, doesn't give you the right to impose them on any number of people who don't!
Francisco XGonzalez

Garcia, Mexico

#15 Jul 21, 2007
Religion is a social phenomena that should be included into a curricular design. The fact there is controversial, there are many issues around religion -such as money, politics, who is the true God what is the reality of the gospel, etc- is interesting to have it as part of formal education.
It is important to understand that if a teacher talks about religious issues doesnt mean he is putting pressure to students to believe in that religion, students depending on the level are mature enough to decide by themselves and if they want to take the chance to practice that religion then is great.

“God is Dead.”

Since: Jun 07

Lincoln, NE

#16 Jul 22, 2007
Francisco XGonzalez wrote:
Religion is a social phenomena that should be included into a curricular design. The fact there is controversial, there are many issues around religion -such as money, politics, who is the true God what is the reality of the gospel, etc- is interesting to have it as part of formal education.
It is important to understand that if a teacher talks about religious issues doesnt mean he is putting pressure to students to believe in that religion, students depending on the level are mature enough to decide by themselves and if they want to take the chance to practice that religion then is great.
Well that's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Ever heard of a moderate fundamentalist?
I think if you want to learn about god, you can do it at a church. You admit at the end of the article that it would be great if the ended up practicing religion, and that's the exact point. If they teach anything about god in schools, they should teach that not once in the history of religion has there been proof of god. They should learn about all the wrongs perpetrated in the name of religion, not about god and how to get to him/her.
texrealesateguy

Lubbock, TX

#17 Nov 16, 2007
By saying "keep religion out of school" you are actually forcing a belief system on everyone. The belief is called Atheism. That is not fair to Christians, Muslims, Mormons or anyone. In fact it is down right ANTI-AMERICAN. People come to this country to be able to worship freely. No person should ever be forced to believe any certain thing no matter what the setting.

If there are athiests in school, let them be athiests, if there are Christians, let them be Christians!!! THATS AMERICAN

www.westtexasfsbo.com

“God is Dead.”

Since: Jun 07

Lincoln, NE

#18 Nov 18, 2007
texrealesateguy wrote:
By saying "keep religion out of school" you are actually forcing a belief system on everyone. The belief is called Atheism. That is not fair to Christians, Muslims, Mormons or anyone. In fact it is down right ANTI-AMERICAN. People come to this country to be able to worship freely. No person should ever be forced to believe any certain thing no matter what the setting.
If there are athiests in school, let them be athiests, if there are Christians, let them be Christians!!! THATS AMERICAN
www.westtexasfsbo.com
No one's forcing anyone not to believe in god, its simply not the appropriate place. It's definitely not proved theory, which means it's nothing to teach the kids in school. Advertise somewhere else.

“Jebus?! Jebus? Where are you?”

Since: Jun 07

Ama-Hell-o, Tx

#19 Nov 19, 2007
texrealesateguy wrote:
By saying "keep religion out of school" you are actually forcing a belief system on everyone. The belief is called Atheism. That is not fair to Christians, Muslims, Mormons or anyone. In fact it is down right ANTI-AMERICAN. People come to this country to be able to worship freely. No person should ever be forced to believe any certain thing no matter what the setting.
If there are athiests in school, let them be athiests, if there are Christians, let them be Christians!!! THATS AMERICAN
www.westtexasfsbo.com
Okay, so if you want the little brats to learn about Jebus then let them go to a CHRISTIAN SCHOOL. You say that we're forcing athiesm on these kids by keeping religion out of schools, but what your wanting is going to force your beliefs on these children. I don't know of anyone, when it comes to religion, that can be un-bias in a teaching capacity.
Rick

Auburn Hills, MI

#20 Nov 20, 2007
Satan the Great Dark Lord wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so if you want the little brats to learn about Jebus then let them go to a CHRISTIAN SCHOOL. You say that we're forcing athiesm on these kids by keeping religion out of schools, but what your wanting is going to force your beliefs on these children. I don't know of anyone, when it comes to religion, that can be un-bias in a teaching capacity.
I see you make the rounds there satun, its kinda like we discussed earlier, you do your thing and let the rest of them do theirs. The arguement here is basic, the present day norm includes the words, In GOD We trust, usually followed by one nation under GOD.. its quite simple, let those that wanna have a moment of silence, do so and those like you and the minority can stand on your head or do whatever satin compells you to do..
another thing you might want to try is moving to a country that prohits worship of any entity, not only taking away your right of religion but also your right to do anything, you wouldnt have to live in a country that has the word god in its constitution, go live there for a while that should clear your head of all this religious goings on... and i might add satin,you would surely be missed Happy turkey day...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amarillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
adult theater paramount on osage 19 hr get help 2
Van recovered in armored car theft Wed typical 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Rosary necklace and the cops Dec 17 RLTW 2
Debate: Marijuana - Amarillo, TX (Sep '10) Dec 17 randy 60
Fatal Early Morning Vehicle vs. Pedestrian Dec 11 Anon 1
Review: La Campana Restaurant Dec 8 John A 1
Amarillo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Amarillo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Amarillo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Amarillo

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:22 am PST

Bleacher Report12:22AM
Cowboys' Week 17 Preview vs. Redskins
NBC Sports 4:11 AM
Andre Johnson "doesn't mind" a pay cut to stay with Texans
NFL 4:28 AM
Andre Johnson open to pay cut to stay with Texans
ESPN11:11 AM
RG III (right shoulder) probable vs. Cowboys
NBC Sports11:16 AM
Redskins' RG3 has full practice, probable for game - NBC Sports