Canine Dysautonomia-PETOWNERS ALERT
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Trish from Canada

Acton, Canada

#22 Oct 31, 2013
Oh Mary! There is hope! Cooper is going on 2.5 years with CD. He is still on the pills but was able to discontinue the eyedrops. He still doesn't urinate or defecate normally but I don't think he knows the difference any more. He was also an April CD dog - we were in St. Joseph, MO when he got it. Of course we don't live there so he was never re-exposed after that one time. I'm so happy that your vet diagnosed it quickly, it's so sad to hear the stories of people whose vets just don't know what to do. I can totally relate to all your emotional and financial pain! If you would like to talk at any time about Gracie and her progress please feel free to email me at [email protected] I know Sandy B from Texas keeps a close eye on this forum too and she is a great resource. Also be sure to complete the UWyo survey, it takes a long time but we really need to help them find out what causes and possibly cures this disease. Gracie & Cooper are the fortunate few who survive. My hopes and prayers are with you. Cooper sends sniffs and licks to Gracie!
Jamie

Jackson, TN

#23 Nov 6, 2013
Just an update, our a second corgi girl died two days ago. She survived much longer than anyone imagined after this disease. She was able to live and play outside for the remainder of her short life. She was never the same but still wonderful puppy. When we switched feeds immediately, her symptoms began to reverse. The feeling of all is that there was something in this specific feed either through processing or ingredient that contributed to the demise of 3 puppies. I really so hope that one day we find something more than treating symptoms. Since our first diagnosis, I've done much research and spoken w a vet who specialized in CD- it was her research project in vet school. We've had many more cases in TN than at first glance and it often goes under reported because it can look like something similar. It has been really beneficial to know that what we've sent off from our puppies has provided some clues to solving this puzzle. I pray others choose this course as well. Good luck to you all!
Barb

United States

#24 Dec 8, 2013
I have a male lab who was diagnosed with partial canine dysautonomia last January, when he was 2.5 years old. We live in the country and he has access to forest, field and lakes. It started with massive vomiting, followed by his refusing to eat or drink anything. He would just lie on the couch. He lost at least 20 pounds. It was terrifying. My vet (who walks on water!) first treated him for a systemic yeast infection, then came to the conclusion (based on the nasal discharge) that it was dysautonomia. She had seen it before and warned me that the prognosis for the full blown disease was not good. I force-fed him twice a day: everything from Ensure to baby food to Science Diet and got very skilled at forcing pills down his throat (he’d always taken them easily in cheese). About 6 weeks after it started, he suddenly began eating and drinking on his own again and seems to have made a complete recovery. We were fortunate that he never had the anal loosening or the eye issues (she was constantly asking if we’d seen his eyelids drooping and the red lining showing – we didn’t). This is why the vet said it was a partial case. She kept up the treatment for the yeast infection for a full 6 weeks because she said sometimes it’s the secondary infection that results in the dog’s death.
It’s now almost a year and my boy is still with me. He has had two seizures separated by 3 months, which I wonder might be lingering side effects of the disease, and some vomiting (which the vet ascribes to “dietary indiscretions” since he has a habit of finding deer carcasses in the woods). Otherwise, he is the picture of health.
We need SO much more research done on this awful disease. My prayers and zen hugs to all of you coping with furbabies in this condition.
Barb

United States

#25 Dec 8, 2013
I'm located just south of Jefferson City, MO...not Owensville as shown.
Sandyb from Texas

Amarillo, TX

#26 Dec 29, 2013
Barb wrote:
I'm located just south of Jefferson City, MO...not Owensville as shown.

Dear Barb,

Thank you for giving your info on this site. I am so glad to hear about your lab. You are among the very few that has had their "furbaby" survive this horrid disease. You can also go on the Jackson, MO topix website and read a bunch of comments on this disease by parents of beloved pets that have either succumbed or survived Dysautonomia. There is also a link to complete the survey at the University of Wyoming to help them in their research for a cause and cure. I pray your lab continues to do well.

Sandy
Tammi

Holton, KS

#28 Feb 13, 2014
Hi, my name is Tammi and I live in McLouth, Kansas. Our Darla is not quite 6 months old and the vet isn't sure she has it but she has a lot of the symptoms. She started getting sick on Sunday evening and we took her to the vet Monday. They gave her antibiotics because she sounded like she had an upper respiratory infection. That night her breathing got worse, her nose was plugged with dried mucous. They kept her at the office because she wasn't eating much and very little drinking. It's Thursday now and she is trying to eat and still has control of her bladder and bowels. The eye test they did was inconclusive because her pupils did dilate but it was a little slower than normal. She seemed a little more alert and climbed all over me when I went to visit her today which made me very happy. She still has control of her bladder and bowels so that is encouraging. We live in the town of McLouth and she has never been off the leash or to a farm or anything. Our 3 other dogs are just fine. Reading some of these stories has given me a little extra hope. Thank you

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#32 Aug 23, 2014
Hi, my name is Susan and I live in Greenwood, MO. I have had 5 dogs die of CD in the past year-and-a-half. Maggie died in 2013 at the age of 9, and a litter of 4 Havanese puppies died in March of 2014 at the age of 11 weeks. Maggie had free-roaming access to our 5 acres, but the puppies contracted CD after playing outside in our yard for no more than 5 minutes. A CD research team from the Veterinary College at the Univ of Wyoming came to my home within a few days after the puppies died and took samples of soil, water and wildlife feces from the areas where the pups were on the ground. They also took blood samples from our adult dogs who only have access to fenced areas of the yard. Thank God, none of our adult dogs have gotten sick. I created a Facebook page and a website for CD Awareness. More of my story and several links are available on the page. They both also provide instructions for how to make a donation to the CD research fund at the University of Wyoming. Brant Schumaker, Noah Hull and their colleagues are actively working on CD research and trying to fnd the cause, which will hopefully lead to a cure. They have an online suvey for anyone who has lost a dog to CD. The more data they can collect, the better their chances of finding the cause of this horrible disease. To all of you who have posted on this blog, I send my sincere condolences. Please check out the FB page and share it with your FB friends. Feel free to post your story and pictures and please make a donation, if you can. This horrible disease must be stopped. Together, we can make a difference!
https://www.facebook.com/cdawareness
nessa2u21978

Jefferson City, MO

#36 Feb 19, 2015
I have lost 2 of my dear dogs to this terrible disease and now my puppy has it and is still living. I'm needing info on how to maintain her life as its been over 2weeks now she has full bladder control and bowels she has however no mucus membranes very dry nose passageways and eyes. Any info would be thankful
spearmint

Humboldt, KS

#39 Jul 6, 2015
My black Lab cross (someone dumped him as a tiny puppy, you know the drill, find a farm, dump a dog) was diagnosed with dysautonomia, at the vet for week, came home so thin, so ill. A lovely male dog, broke my heart to see him so lethargic, wanting to urinate or defecate so often, just a 4 or 5 month old pup when he first became ill. He would get better on boiled meat, broth then relapse. I decided to give him medicated milk replacer for calves, just mix it, let him lap it up, 4 cups, twice a day. He was so weak that I had to hold the bowl at my knee height so he could eat or drink, either that or he was going to starve to death because he couldn't seem to bend down for food or water. So far, we have made it through 3 critical times with the medicated milk replacer, boiled shredded meat and broth. He is now gaining weight again, is active, running around, playing, still thin but no longer look like a Greyhound in shape. I also took his collar off, no metal next to his skin, buckles, tags. We live in Kansas, my other dogs don't have any symptoms, just Buddy! I suspect we will have many relapses, will certainly use medicated milk replacer many times in his future. I hope this helps someone else, I did all the meds the vet prescribed many times and will again but firmly believe in medicated milk replacer for calves, boiled shredded meat and broth.
Brant Schumaker

Laramie, WY

#40 Jul 7, 2015
Hello,
Thanks for posting and sharing your story. We are all so sorry for any owners that have dealt with this terrible disease. Our lab at the University of Wyoming is doing some research to try to figure out what causes dysautonomia. In case you or any other owner out there are interested in participating this is our protocol:

1) If your pet has been diagnosed with dysautonomia but is still living we would love to bank whole blood and serum sample as well as urine if possible. Large volumes are preferable.

2) If at some point you decide to euthanize your pet, we would be able to receive your pet's body and take some tissue samples. We would bank tissues as well as confirm the diagnosis of CD.

3) We would love a copy of all hospital records.

4) Please fill out our online survey on your pet's exposure history:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform...

5) We would be very interested in getting soil samples from the areas that your pet had contact. They should be taken semi-aseptically (use a clean trowel, clean it with some hydrogen peroxide, and make sure not to touch the blade after it's been cleaned). The samples should be taken at depths of 6", 12", and 18". A sample of the water tank that Spoon jumped in would also be helpful.

All samples should be sent to:

Wyoming State Veterinary Laboratory
c/o Brant Schumaker - dysautonomia
1174 Snowy Range Road
Laramie, WY 82070

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions.

Sincerely,

Brant Schumaker

--
Brant Schumaker DVM, MPVM, PhD
Assistant Professor/ Veterinary Epidemiologist
University of Wyoming/ Wyoming State Veterinary Laboratory
1174 Snowy Range Road
Laramie, WY 82070
concerned

Jefferson City, MO

#41 Nov 17, 2015
Hello i have just recently heard about this disease, a friend of mine has a dog that was healthy one day then the next day came down deathly sick, but, the day before she just went through her vaccinations.. Has anyone else had a dog come down sick with this disease after vaccinations? Of course a veteranarian will not admit shots has anything to do with this, but i read an article here online that states toxins in dogfood or vaccinations can cause this.....She showed no signs of any sickness until he did what we thought was the good thing and had her vaccinations, now she is laying in the vets office sick and slowly going down hill...We live in Missouri yes , but as i said she never showed any sickness until those vaccinations ....
N_Hull

Laramie, WY

#42 Nov 18, 2015
concerned wrote:
Hello i have just recently heard about this disease, a friend of mine has a dog that was healthy one day then the next day came down deathly sick, but, the day before she just went through her vaccinations.. Has anyone else had a dog come down sick with this disease after vaccinations? Of course a veteranarian will not admit shots has anything to do with this, but i read an article here online that states toxins in dogfood or vaccinations can cause this.....She showed no signs of any sickness until he did what we thought was the good thing and had her vaccinations, now she is laying in the vets office sick and slowly going down hill...We live in Missouri yes , but as i said she never showed any sickness until those vaccinations ....
Hi Concerned,

Thank you for your post on this. First off, we would encourage your friend to reach out to us at [email protected] so that we can discuss the case. We are at the University of Wyoming and are active in research on CD. What I can tell you from the 100+ cases we have data on, is there appears to be no link to vaccines nor a specific brand of dog food.
The incubation period of this disease is about 7-10 days, so it is possible that this animal was exposed days prior to the vaccination. Also, depending on the vaccines, some are live vaccines that challenge the immune system (hence why they don't recommend human live vaccines if you are currently sick). There could have been some sort of immune depression from the vaccines that allowed CD to move a bit quicker in its clinical presentation. However, only 24 hours post vaccination, that seems quick to have depressed the immune system dramatically enough to allow CD a faster clinical course. We would be happy to obtain further information from the owner and discuss it further.
There is also a great Facebook Group that was started by an affected owner ( https://www.facebook.com/cdawareness/ ) that has great information.

Kindly,
Noah Hull, MPH
PhD Student - Schumaker Laboratory
University of Wyoming - Wyoming State Veterinary Laboratory
[email protected]
Jill

Scottsbluff, NE

#43 Jan 6, 2016
I live in western NE and just lost my 1 year old German Shepherd to this HORRIBLE disease. I have contacted the University of Wyoming and Dr. Kenneth Harkin at Kansas State University. There have been cases in my area in Wyoming (about 30 miles away) I am planning on having my back yard soil tested and will also send my results from my GSD's post mortem to them. Has anyone had their soil tested? I am wondering what your results showed.... Since reading this site I will also contact the people in Missouri as well. It is very frustrating not knowing what caused this. Thanks for posting --- We are still devastated by our loss
Creed

Ballwin, MO

#44 Apr 10, 2016
Beth wrote:
Hi guys, We lost our 5 year old German Shepherd to this disease several years ago. Low and behold Dr. O'Brien lives about 1 mile down the road from us. We live in a horse/pasture area in the center of MO and now have a boxer showing some of the signs. I'm SO concerned. Dysautonomia ravaged our shepherd, broke our hearts. Please wish us luck.
Did your boxer end up having it?
Creed

Ballwin, MO

#45 Apr 10, 2016
Jill wrote:
I live in western NE and just lost my 1 year old German Shepherd to this HORRIBLE disease. I have contacted the University of Wyoming and Dr. Kenneth Harkin at Kansas State University. There have been cases in my area in Wyoming (about 30 miles away) I am planning on having my back yard soil tested and will also send my results from my GSD's post mortem to them. Has anyone had their soil tested? I am wondering what your results showed.... Since reading this site I will also contact the people in Missouri as well. It is very frustrating not knowing what caused this. Thanks for posting --- We are still devastated by our loss
I live in Springfield Mo!! Had dogs here forever we got a gsd puppy had him 5 months just told he has this!!
Creed

Ballwin, MO

#46 Apr 10, 2016
concerned wrote:
I think dog food or shots could be to blame!! I fed purine and bought 5 way shots from farm store in Sparta mo!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amarillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shelly buckaloo (Oct '16) Dec 8 Sissy-lala 3
Review: Adult Video Gallery-Paramount (Oct '11) Nov 24 bob john 14
News Happy VFD uses $200K grant to replace 1985 tanker Nov '17 Jerry Sims 1
manufactured homes Nov '17 Oscar 2
Dereck Robinson Oct '17 cat lady 1
My Podiatrist died! Do you happen to know the ... (Jan '17) Oct '17 myers 6
This man lived in Amarillo... Sep '17 Katherine fasbender 3

Amarillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance