we're moving to amarillo.....

Posted in the Amarillo Forum

jenniferwesley

United States

#1 Mar 11, 2010
My husband and I are moving to Amarillo this summer, can anyone give me any information that might help us find a nice apartment (with a pool) or house for rent in Amarillo or the surrounding areas? Maybe a good realator. We are 39 & 46 with no children,(at least not until the summers and then it will be older teenagers) at home. We would prefer something within a 30 minute drive or less to the Amarillo Airport. If you could give us ANY information about Amarillo (things to do, lakes, rivers, weather info, night life) it would be such a help. ANY and ALL information would be SO appreciated. Thank you bunches!!!!
bjreed -

Arlington, TX

#3 Mar 12, 2010
Nearly any place in Amarillo is accessible to the airport, simply because it is bisected by two interstate highways -- IH 40 and IH 27. Amarillo is a wonderful family place. Lots of parks, churches, good restaurants. Really good college (along with music presentations and theater). Four-year university only 30 miles south. Exceptionally good art museum (for the size of the city). A symphony and ballet company. Several outlying lakes, but the big lake is Lake Meredith, north of Amarillo. It has no beaches, as such. The very best thing, though, is that Santa Fe, NM, is only five hours away! And, you can also make it to Vail, Colorado, in a day's drive!
bjreed -

Arlington, TX

#4 Mar 12, 2010
Nearly any place in Amarillo is accessible to the airport, simply because it is bisected by two interstate highways -- IH 40 and IH 27. Amarillo is a wonderful family place. Lots of parks, churches, good restaurants. Really good college (along with music presentations and theater). Four-year university only 30 miles south. Exceptionally good art museum (for the size of the city). A symphony and ballet company. Several outlying lakes, but the big lake is Lake Meredith, north of Amarillo. It has no beaches, as such. The very best thing, though, is that Santa Fe, NM, is only five hours away! And, you can also make it to Vail, Colorado, in a day's drive! Oops, forgot about the weather! Expect a lot of snow and a tremendous amount of wind. The wind is especially ugly in the spring. However, good news is that, even in the dead heat of summer, the nights are cool. When I lived there, I never ran the AC at night; just opened the window. When my young son was playing baseball at a night game, I had to have a jacket before the game ended. And don't forget to invite all your friends/family down to see the show "TEXAS" in the amphitheatre at Palo Duro Canyon. The story line is schmaltzy, but the production is fabulous! Your hearts will beat harder when you see the horseman riding along the rim of the canyon with a Texas flag! Palo Duro Canyon is sort of a mini-Grand Canyon; however, Palo Duro has much more history. And please, please plan to see the museum in Canyon (at the university). It is sort of an unknown treasure. As a connoisseur of museums, I rate this one very highly for its unique collection of Indian culture.
sweet tooth

Van Nuys, CA

#6 Mar 14, 2010
dont forget about the discovery center,wonderful for adults as it is children.wonderland amusemant park,half the price of six flags but just as much fun.i love amarillo and have almost got my wife convinced to move there.
GayleTX

Sherman, TX

#7 Mar 15, 2010
the city data board is a good resource for people moving to new areas.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/
Chopper

Knoxville, TN

#8 Apr 6, 2010
I lived in Amarillo for 38 years. As you know, by now, It is nothing like AR. All the roads are east and west, on a grid. Much different from the mountain road. One of the things I truly miss (besides my Family) Is the BIG BLUE TEXAS SKY! Moving is always hard. Amarillo is a good town.
Jessica Justice

Amarillo, TX

#11 Apr 11, 2010
Watch out for the savages
NoJustice

United States

#12 Apr 13, 2010
If you don't mind racist attitudes, go for it!
If you get in trouble, there's justice for some.
Michelle

Long Beach, CA

#13 Apr 22, 2010
Move to clarendon , texas and you will see no justice. Amarillo and canyon are wonderful places to live unless your corrupt.
pmullah

Eureka, CA

#14 May 16, 2010
moving here is the biggest mistake anyone could make.
John

United States

#15 Oct 9, 2010
Stay away from BSA Family Medical Clinic, they're
have good doctors, but the staff stinks.

John

Since: Apr 12

Chino, CA

#16 Apr 25, 2012
Hi everyone, me and my husband are going to be moving to Armarillo Tx due to my husbands new job and I have wondering how racism is out there? I'm Mexican mixed and my husband is African American. I have been doing a little research about Armarillo and it sounds like a pretty nice place. I was also wondering what parts of town I should look to live in. We are both in our early mid twenties but we have a good head on our shoulders and we don't want to live in the ghetto. Also what is there to do out there for fun? We are from California but are both open to experiancing new things, places and cultures. If anyone can help me out with these questions that would be awesome thanks.
Thicka than a Snicka

Childress, TX

#17 Oct 15, 2013
Nab2388 wrote:
Hi everyone, me and my husband are going to be moving to Armarillo Tx due to my husbands new job and I have wondering how racism is out there? I'm Mexican mixed and my husband is African American. I have been doing a little research about Armarillo and it sounds like a pretty nice place. I was also wondering what parts of town I should look to live in. We are both in our early mid twenties but we have a good head on our shoulders and we don't want to live in the ghetto. Also what is there to do out there for fun? We are from California but are both open to experiancing new things, places and cultures. If anyone can help me out with these questions that would be awesome thanks.
stay away
amarillo non native

Alpharetta, GA

#18 Mar 12, 2014
U r gonna regret it. We moved from the southeast, thinking about going back. Weather bad, good for kids, monopolies run the city and businesses, third world country attitude....but what I love the most people r conservative.
In Amarillo is who u know not what u know.
Grand daddy long legs

Riverview, FL

#19 May 3, 2014
Thanks for the great info! Excited for the move.
Grand daddy long legs

Riverview, FL

#20 May 3, 2014
Posted to wrong thread....
Rattler

Killeen, TX

#21 May 20, 2014
If you want to know what it is like here. Look up dust bowl on the internet. There is virtually nothing to do here. Most of the time the smell of the feedlots west of town permeates the city. So in a nutshell it stinks here!!! Born and raised here. Am selling house and leaving this shit hole. The people are nice. But the panhandle of Texas sucks. This area was the last of the land grabs as it was deemed uninhabitable back in the day. It rarely rains, the wind blows dirt constantly. If you like high desert weather come on over. If you like lush lawns and trees, go somewhere else. If you speak spanish you will feel right at home. Don't move North of I-40. Wonderland Park is a joke. If you have small kids they will like it. If you have teenagers they will laugh there ass off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amarillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Rosary necklace and the cops Dec 17 RLTW 2
Debate: Marijuana - Amarillo, TX (Sep '10) Dec 17 randy 60
Fatal Early Morning Vehicle vs. Pedestrian Dec 11 Anon 1
Review: La Campana Restaurant Dec 8 John A 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Rockin Gypsy Trunk Show? (Jan '14) Nov 19 Annesa herrington 19
Amarillo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Amarillo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Amarillo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Amarillo

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:16 pm PST