New rule bars kid riders from Pelotonia | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Sam Ferrell, 11, of Upper Arlington, helped to raise more than $4,000 for last year's tour, even taking Pelotonia donations in lieu of birthday gifts.
Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Jun 3, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Leroy Says

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I'll NEVER give to this group again then! This kid worked his bum off and then they (Pelotonia) turned on him!
dave

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

Leroy Says wrote:
I'll NEVER give to this group again then! This kid worked his bum off and then they (Pelotonia) turned on him!
they still want to take the kids money...just wont let him ride his bike...how stupid....just shows they only want the money ....its all about the money
get out of the street

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I would never give to a fund that encourages masses of cyclists to take to public roads, nor would I contribute to the various races and walks to cure this, that or the other disease that also use public streets in their venues. Bikes belong on bike paths, not the street. Racers/walkers belong on the sidewalk, not in the street.
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

dave wrote:
<quoted text>its all about the money
Isn't it always?
seriously

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

Do you who comment think about what you write? It seems obvious that a fundraiser for cancer is "all about money " that's the point. The bike ride is secondary. And, everyone pays taxes for the streets and can use them. Don't know why I'm responding to these comments, they must be jokes.
cortana

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I'm fairly sure that the event's insurer told the organizers that they had to restrict entry to older children in order to keep their insurance after last year. It's probably not fair to put all the blame on them. Blame the idiot driver that hit the kid last year.
alloysirus

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Maybe the older riders should be excluded, since a an older one was killed, and obviously didn't do what we're all taught when young, "look both ways before crossing the street"!
It's a public road, so he should ride regardless, if his parents will let him. Who's going to stop him?
Former Republican

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

Im amazed by the comments on here. With over 4,000 riders a safety issue is created when kids are riding. Have those who commented ridden in Pelotonia?
Mike

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

Unless the roads are closed, giant group rides are a dumb idea. Period.
Jer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

The roads are public. They can't actually stop him from riding with his father the whole way. He just won't receive support from the organizers. I say he should ride it anyway.
Really

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

I get the new rules. I am all for safety.
However, I'd like Sam's address to send him my donation.
k roley

Berlin, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

nanny
Silky Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

Really wrote:
I get the new rules. I am all for safety.
However, I'd like Sam's address to send him my donation.
Safety aside, doesn't it seem like America, the biggest helecopter parent of all, is bent on raising a generation of wimps?
skeptical one

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

how much of that money raised goes to Cancer Doctors making $500K + per year for 'research'?
Bill from the north side

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

seriously wrote:
Do you who comment think about what you write? It seems obvious that a fundraiser for cancer is "all about money " that's the point. The bike ride is secondary. And, everyone pays taxes for the streets and can use them. Don't know why I'm responding to these comments, they must be jokes.
Just because a road is public does not mean it is safe for bikes. The insurance costs would likely come out of the monies raised. After last year's tragedy, I wonder how much that would be?
T Survivor08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

BOO, on not allowing kids to ride in Pelotonia!

I think that is aweful, kids should be able to ride with their parents as a show of support.

If Sam Ferrell, 11, of Upper Arlington, who helped to raise more than $4,000 for last year's tour, even taking Pelotonia donations in lieu of birthday gifts, wants to ride and is raising money, shame on you for not allowing him to ride.

Maybe the rule should be 14 or 16 without a parent and I don't think there should be a limit on the number of miles. You don't know he might be the next Lance Armstrong...

Also, why not have a separate start time for families or teams with kids?...like Race for the Cure does.
You could have a competetive "Time Chipped" start, non-competative start and family start.

Disappointed Survivor, volunteer and virtual rider,
T Survivor08
John

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

What is this really about? If he wants to ride, has parental permission, and the parents sign a release, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
Beneficiary of Research

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

get out of the street wrote:
I would never give to a fund that encourages masses of cyclists to take to public roads, nor would I contribute to the various races and walks to cure this, that or the other disease that also use public streets in their venues. Bikes belong on bike paths, not the street. Racers/walkers belong on the sidewalk, not in the street.
Hopefully you pray everyday that you never need to be the beneficiary of the results of the research and treatment/help paid for by these various races and walks to cure this, that or the other diseases.

Perhaps they can compromise and come up with a safe route for the younger riders.
J Zendarski

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pelotonia is a joke! Listen, I have NO problem with raising money for cancer research- its a noble goal. BUT, I do not agree with the 'practices' they incorporate to do so. I frown upon these folks, not for what they do, but for how they do it. On another note, I agree with the other posts- if the kids wants to ride, let him! They can't pull him out of it- its a public road! He has just as much 'right' to it than anyone else does, regardless of the event.
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

I say let my 3 year old ride on his Big Wheel.

Why would that be a problem for anyone?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Amanda Discussions

Search the Amanda Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lorrain Poling 12 min JustWondering 36
Virgil Keaton 1 hr Really 90
Tim Neff 1 hr hmm 2
huffer/harris 1 hr 123 its me 10
Good Ol Boy 2 hr SRM 2
Shawna Annotto 3 hr Tigolbitties 1
justina up and down pontious lane 3 hr Larry adkins 32
•••
•••