Recognize abuse in men

Posted in the Altus Forum

Raise awareness

Norman, OK

#1 Oct 17, 2013
Women aren't the only victims of domestic violence. Understand the signs of domestic violence against men, and know how to get help.

Recognize domestic violence against men

Domestic violence also known as domestic abuse, battering or intimate partner violence occurs between people in an intimate relationship. Domestic violence against men can take many forms, including emotional, sexual and physical abuse and threats of abuse. It can happen in heterosexual or same sex relationships.

It might not be easy to recognize domestic violence against men. Early in the relationship, your partner might seem attentive, generous and protective in ways that later turn out to be controlling and frightening. Initially, the abuse might appear as isolated incidents. Your partner might apologize and promise not to abuse you again.

In other relationships, domestic violence against men might include both partners slapping or shoving each other when they get angry and neither partner seeing himself or herself as being abused or controlled. This type of violence, however, can still devastate a relationship, causing both physical and emotional damage.

You might be experiencing domestic violence if your partner:

Calls you names, insults you or puts you down
Prevents you from going to work or school
Stops you from seeing family members or friends
Tries to control how you spend money, where you go or what you wear
Acts jealous or possessive or constantly accuses you of being unfaithful
Gets angry when drinking alcohol or using drugs
Threatens you with violence or a weapon
Hits, kicks, shoves, slaps, chokes or otherwise hurts you, your children or your pets
Assaults you while you're sleeping, you've been drinking or you're not paying attention to make up for a difference in strength
Forces you to have sex or engage in sexual acts against your will
Blames you for his or her violent behavior or tells you that you deserve it
Portrays the violence as mutual and consensual
Been there

Muskogee, OK

#2 Jul 6, 2014
I've seen this with my son. He dated a girl that was verbally and physically abusive. I suspected he was being hit, scratched, bit and punched by this girl until it was confirmed when she could no longer control herself and started doing it in front of people. Twice she did this while he was holding their infant daughter. I raised him to not hit females, but the first time I saw her slap him. I wish he would have punched her ever loving lights out. This happens so much more than people realize. Many times the males are the ones taken from the home because , " they must be the aggressors". Keep raising awareness. Police departments must also be educated on these issues.
Salt Ronald

Tampa, FL

#3 Oct 25, 2014
This US so true as rape happens to men to they do get abused as well as women. Just society dosent understand it's a two way streak men an woman, children....don't be. An u don't have to let or have this in your lives be a good person an keep hands etc. To yourself an not others an stop violence, rape and ugly. Made up made up stories on innocent people don't destoy others lives with cruel an made up Topix forums please just think of others an there is stuff that needs to be said an would public newspaper not on a page! God bless ugly mean people that destroy others lives with lies an mean ugly insulting forum's! God bless

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rental Houses? 3 hr MovieLuvr2015 1
ALLEGED Elmer sex offender (Oct '06) Sat Base 665 5
A+ minor Anthony Neal Jan 28 newspaper 47
Chris Ybarra (Apr '14) Jan 26 580girl 13
Kristi Lee. (Atkinson) (Sep '13) Jan 12 Yeehaw 3
walmart manager ?? (May '13) Jan 10 obviously 15
Tammy Campbell Jan 5 ezlivin 7
Altus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Altus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:01PM
Should Jerry Now Be Considered a Top-Quality GM?
NFL 6:28 AM
Witten: It's 'silly' to think Murray is easily replaceable
NBC Sports 7:10 AM
Jason Witten: Every back couldn't do what DeMarco Murray did this season
Bleacher Report 9:39 AM
Murray Will Command Up to $10M Per Year
NBC Sports 9:48 AM
Tony Romo: I have to be better