Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Susan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if you designate your donation to OKC.
Not if you use that text $10 to the Red Cross that all the national news outlets were using. They didn't say anything but text Red Cross. People have to be told to specify where the money goes, most don't do this.
TAMARA

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Justaminute wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing that people have to know is that is you text the $10 to the Red Cross that money goes in their general fund and may not go to Oklahoma. But giving to the Oklahoma Red Cross directly, your funds stay within the state.
Yes I know that. But I bet alot of people don't know that.

Sorry about making so many mistakes. I am on a different key board and I can't seem to get things going on it. Yes I make mistakes anyways but I am making more than usually. And I have been in hurry and not doing a good job at anything this morning.

Glad to hear your Dad is getting some help and it relating to him being a Vet.
DoesntMatter

Chandler, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

MistyGirl wrote:
<quoted text>What will happen in a case like this one is DOT inspectors will check the permits for this particular load and carrier. If all paperwork is in order the next thing is to verify the routing was followed which is approved at time of permit purchase and that load is only allowed to be on pre-designated routes only. If the carrier(trucking company)followed the state designated routes supplied by the State on the oversize permit the trucking company isn't liable for one red cent of damage. The state of Washington would be liable for failing to route the oversize load correctly and in that scenario the State of Washington would be responsible for all damages including to the truck/trailer and load. Now if the permit was correct on routing and the carrier's driver is at fault for driving on an unauthorized route then the trucking company is liable for all damages as in, to the bridge, truck/trailer/load and all the vehicles and plus any medical care anyone received because of this incident.
I understand. I was making the point that this bridge has nothing to do with the sequester. This is a state/county ordeal.
Jesse

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

MistyGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me explain something to you that you apparently don't understand. The term functionally obsolete in engineering means the 'design' is no longer one which is used for current erections of that type of project application, functionally obsolete doesn't mean the bridge was structurally unsound. The bridge over the Skagit River is located in Mt. Vernon, WA. and has passed all standards for viability. A oversized load not in weight but in height struck multiple girders causing the collapse. Excessive damage to girders will compromise the viability of the bridge which happened in this case.
I have driven over this bridge and it's was safe for standard loads (tractor-trailer rigs) not over 13.6', the vehicle hauling the load was OVERSIZED which means larger than 13.6" and require a special permit and designated routing depending on the actual size of the load being hauled. If it was equipment like mining equipment the size of the load can be very substantial.
Hey Ms. Misty, glad I caught your post it really helps understand technical things when someone knows what they are talking about. Big difference in FUNCTIONALLY OBSOLETE and STRUCTUALLY DEFICIT.
Not surprised that justaliar jumped on the 'news' to try and blame the republicans or even more humorously blame 'BUSH'.

Great Post!
So What

Mcloud, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

DoesntMatter wrote:
<quoted text>
This is correct. People need to set priorities. I am having a shelter put in that is $7500.00. The reason mine is so high is bc I am having one put in that is handicapped accessible for people that need it. But I have had to set priorities to do this and it is one of my top priorities. Other shelters cost about $2000 to $2500. Lower income people can do that with their tax refunds alone and then neighbors can help each other and allow others in.
Are you doing ICF?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

TAMARA wrote:
<quoted text>I understand what you are saying. But after so many have been hit by tornadoes here in Oklahoma I had heard them say they had put in a pool but they wished they had used the money for a storm cellar or safe room. Then they say "I just never thought it would happen to me". Now if they can by a pool they surely can manage protection form all the storms Oklahoma has. I do hope a game plan can be put together to get them in our schools. That is a given!
I don't think people should be waiting around expecting fema to pay for their storm cellars of safe rooms.
==========
Some give the excuse of water table preventing the building of underground shelters, but the pools don't seem to be effected by water table. They stay dry if no water is put in them.

So here's the rub. Why not build a pool that can also act as an underground shelter. Devise some type of cover, maybe steel placed together so that it can open and close in an accordion fashion over part or all of pool. I'm sure if folks put their heads together they can come up with a reasonable method to have underground shelter. Another excuse is debris may fall on door to shelter and prevent it opening and trap the people inside shelter.

Solution: Build a jack into door so it can be jacked open enough to allow people to crawl out of shelter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

TAMARA wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I know that. But I bet alot of people don't know that.
Sorry about making so many mistakes. I am on a different key board and I can't seem to get things going on it. Yes I make mistakes anyways but I am making more than usually. And I have been in hurry and not doing a good job at anything this morning.
Glad to hear your Dad is getting some help and it relating to him being a Vet.
==========
Text to STORM at 80888 and the money goes to Salvation Army for Oklahoma families for immediate assistance, or so the response they sent me claims. It does not say Moore specifically so it may be spread out over other storms in Oklahoma, like the Shawnee storms.
Susan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Justaminute wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if you use that text $10 to the Red Cross that all the national news outlets were using. They didn't say anything but text Red Cross. People have to be told to specify where the money goes, most don't do this.
I've seen the ads and it clearly states texting and also gives email which is redcross.org/okc anyone with half a brain cell functioning will hear the announcer saying if you want your donation to go to OK only then designate it OK.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Justaminute wrote:
<quoted text>
The area in Moore that was completely obliterated there's not any swimming pools there. Maybe above ground or kids pools. My husband and I were looking in that area to but a rental home. Or friend has two there. The majority are two or three bedroom, single car garage homes built in the '50's or 60's.
What made them great rental properties is that they were right by an elementary school, a hospital, a Walmart, the Warren Theater and seconds away from I-35.
But who knows what will happen. When the May 3 tornado came, it takes a long time for neighborhoods like this to come back.
At least a couple of years at a minimum. My husbands friend said that he's not sure he wants to rebuild his rentals. One was just across the street from the Warren Theater and one was by the elementary school where the kids died. There was a park next to it. He thinks that it will probably be a couple of years before the elementary school and home around it will be built. Not to many people want to rent a home when construction is going on. He can afford to let the lot sit there and buy somewhere else.
Shoot in Del City there are lots that haven't been built from 1999.
==========
Those that have pools, like you, could make them so they can double as underground shelter.
So What

Mcloud, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

I had a pool when we where hit by a tornado it sucked all water out of it. No it wasn't a blow up pool, it was in ground about 15X30.
MistyGirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

DoesntMatter wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand. I was making the point that this bridge has nothing to do with the sequester. This is a state/county ordeal.
I don't know why one person on here always twist the truth so far from reality because it gives people incorrect information which helps no one understand the situation.

Maybe that's the intent....

Really appreciate your posts by the way. I don't post that much but I do read this thread.

Happy Memorial Weekend by the way :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

DoesntMatter wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the county that this bridge is in should be funding the repairs or upgrades to it. If its a state highway, the state taxpayers should be funding it.
==========
If it is on I-5 it is a federal road and gets a large share of maintenance cost from Federal Funds. As high as 90%.

Bridge condition terminology:

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/bri...
MistyGirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Jesse wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ms. Misty, glad I caught your post it really helps understand technical things when someone knows what they are talking about. Big difference in FUNCTIONALLY OBSOLETE and STRUCTUALLY DEFICIT.
Not surprised that justaliar jumped on the 'news' to try and blame the republicans or even more humorously blame 'BUSH'.
Great Post!
Hi Jesse, guess you're having a extra day because of Memorial Weekend! The 2 terms are oceans apart and should never be confused. One is addressing only 'design' and the other is addressing viability and integrity of a structure.
Justaminute

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
Those that have pools, like you, could make them so they can double as underground shelter.
If you knew these areas there's not a lot of pools there in the first place. The homes that were more upscale that were wiped out were around SW 145th starting at May Ave. They have extra large lots with larger homes built on them. The guys that own the Mama Lou's restaurants had homes there that were wiped out. But the ones directly impacted in Moore were older homes. The people living there didn't have much money to start with. The rebuilt homes that were taken out a second time were in the $120's price range but originally cost in the $50 thousand or $60 thousand price range.
Jesse

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

So What wrote:
I had a pool when we where hit by a tornado it sucked all water out of it. No it wasn't a blow up pool, it was in ground about 15X30.
Whoa...really wicked!
DoesntMatter

Chandler, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

So What wrote:
<quoted text>Are you doing ICF?
ICF?
DoesntMatter

Chandler, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

MistyGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know why one person on here always twist the truth so far from reality because it gives people incorrect information which helps no one understand the situation.
Maybe that's the intent....
Really appreciate your posts by the way. I don't post that much but I do read this thread.
Happy Memorial Weekend by the way :)
Thank you and you too.
Jesse

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

HA, just reported the truck hauling the oversized load in Washington that struck the bridge was hauling drilling equipment! Confirmed the load hit the upper girders damaging several causing the collapse.
MistyGirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
If it is on I-5 it is a federal road and gets a large share of maintenance cost from Federal Funds. As high as 90%.
Bridge condition terminology:
http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/bri...
The bridge is on I-5 so it's the main North/South route for transportation. This is a terrible occurrence but even worse due to the Memorial Weekend traffic will be crazy heavy. I'm very thankful no one was killed the bridge collapse was closest to the shallow part of the water which I think contributed to the lives spared, for the people who took an unexpected soaking. That had to be a hair raising experience!

Listen guys it's been fun posting with you please everyone have a safe Memorial Weekend!

Later,
Justaminute

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

Plus, the Red Cross doesn't give out money, they give out vouchers. You collect them and then at the end of the month you submit them and in a couple of weeks later you get a check. So in reality your holding the voucher for a month and a half.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Altus Discussions

Search the Altus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Co-parenting (Jun '13) 14 min Ability to reason 25
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) Mon el Jesus 2,591
OK The "English is the Official Language of Oklaho... (Oct '10) Mon Jesus 11,284
Teen awaiting trail on a rape charge found dead... (Mar '12) Jul 25 thatonebitch 62
nancy rowell mangum ok (Nov '12) Jul 25 thatonebitch 34
Illegal drug use ruined my family Jul 25 slanga14 2
Benny burrows Jul 24 altusnative 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Altus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••