Moving to Altus, advice?

Posted in the Altus Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Erik

Asheville, NC

#1 Jan 17, 2011
Received my assignment to Altus, O.K. I've never been nor do I know anyone who has so I'm hoping to gain some advice from the locals. Is it better to rent or buy right now? What are the bad areas where I would not want to live? What do young single people do for fun in Altus? Do people who work in Altus, live in Altus or is commuting a better idea? I'm hoping to take a trip to Altus soon but any advice/information on the area would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Erik
icanhelp

Natchez, MS

#3 Jan 18, 2011
If you post your e-mail I can help you with whatever info you need. I have been here since 2003. The advice of staying away from the South West of Altus is correct. I have met many great civilian and military people.
Altus resident

Lawton, OK

#4 Jan 18, 2011
Erik wrote:
Received my assignment to Altus, O.K. I've never been nor do I know anyone who has so I'm hoping to gain some advice from the locals. Is it better to rent or buy right now? What are the bad areas where I would not want to live? What do young single people do for fun in Altus? Do people who work in Altus, live in Altus or is commuting a better idea? I'm hoping to take a trip to Altus soon but any advice/information on the area would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Erik
Rent. Do not buy until you know area well and settled in. Crazy realtors here are trying to sell average built homes for 100 per square foot which is waaaay too high for area. They will take you to the cleaners if you are from east or west coast.
Erik

Piedmont, SC

#5 Feb 10, 2011
Thank you all very much for the advice! Looking forward to making Altus home. I think you're right Resident, I will rent first. My email is [email protected] Feel free to send me anything helpful and I will be looking for a room or apartment come May timeframe.
susan w

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Feb 10, 2011
Altus is at the southwest corner of no where.
Randy

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Feb 19, 2011
Run as fast as you can. Altus is a very boring town. Nothing to do there.
randy

United States

#11 Apr 1, 2011
Are you there yet?
krazy

Weatherford, OK

#12 Apr 3, 2011
north altus is the better area to live, its not that bad of a town, seems like most military people hate it since theres much more desirable places to get stationed but as always it could be worse
Susan

United States

#13 Apr 4, 2011
Its so boring there. A lot different then City life. If you like small town living it life.would be ok. Myself have to have city
Erik

Boling, TX

#14 May 1, 2011
randy wrote:
Are you there yet?
I passed through about a month ago and you're right...not much to do. The people seem nice though and it's not as small as I thought. At least they have scooters and a super wal-mart so I should be able to survive. LOL...Headed back this weekend to hopefully find a place.
Mary Jones

United States

#15 May 20, 2011
Stay away from Preachers. Especially John Chenault the Southern Baptist Preacher. Don't even let him in your house. He will steal you blind take your money and hock your wedding rings, steal your guns and love on your sheep.
Randy

United States

#17 Jul 2, 2011
Its hard to find adecent rental and if you buy its harder then heck to sell when its time for you to leave....
Dr Love

United States

#18 Jul 13, 2011
any new businesses in altus in the past 10 years.................
crazy

Norman, OK

#19 Jul 13, 2011
moving to altus is like moving to hell HOT HOT HOT oh yea did i mention HOT...
Rev John C Baptist

United States

#20 Jul 16, 2011
And the Lord sayeth...TAKE MY HAND and I shall lead thee to the land of honey. Whence ye will dwell forever in brimstone and fire if thee fails to yield thy WARNING. Stay away from Altus or thy brother shall melt like cheese.
John

Longmont, CO

#21 Jul 23, 2011
hello, I have read all the above posts and i have a Question about the south west part of town... why is it so bad and why stay away from it????? I will be moving to Altus in Sept. and remodeling a house on the SW side of town. let me know. I am curious... bad people, drugs, crime what is the problem?
AltusEM

United States

#22 Jul 24, 2011
Erik wrote:
Thanks,
Erik
Welcome to the area!
Check out http://AltusEM.blogspot.com for preparedness information about City of Altus and Jackson County. You will see a list of media and other information.
The County is in a Governor's burn ban because of the stage four drought and, now, 58 or so days over 100.
For house hunting, I like http://www.zillow.com , though Craigslist and http://altus.bookoo.com/sunday.jsp are popular as well.
Please sign up for the City Alert System at http://www.cityofaltus.org/shell.asp... or follow @AltusEM on Twitter or both.
Hope you enjoy your Stay in Altus.
Serrano Red

United States

#24 Jul 30, 2011
A bunch of negro gangs the cops wont even go over there
Isabella rose

Belleville, IL

#25 Jul 31, 2011
Altus is a very safe place to live, it's just boring. Nothing to do there.
anne

United States

#26 Sep 11, 2011
Hi everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Megan Hill Jul 22 LittleD 12
News Former pastor arrested for child sexual assault (Dec '14) Jul 20 Question 3
Olustee-Eldorado 10 years too late Jul 18 Impartial Observer 2
Michelle Putnam Jul 18 Omg 5
Chris Ybarra (Apr '14) Jul 18 GamblinGal 18
Girl at superette Jul 11 Bamf 2
rodriguez auto detail Jul 3 moon 2

Altus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Altus Mortgages