Sue Cosner

Des Moines, IA

#41 Apr 16, 2010
Roberta,
I don't know if you remember me, but I was at the home the same time as you, Pam (who was the same age as my older brother, Mike), Lisa and Tim. I stayed in touch with all the nuns including Sisters Vita, Norine, Patrick, Lucille and many, many others; as well as Fr. Quilligan. Father died last year, and Sister Vita died two years ago. You may remember Sister Ethel, now Helen - I see her from time to time. CCH just celebrated its 130th anniversary last November with a big celebration. My husband and I went and had a marvelous time. I've often wished that those of us that lived together could all get together to share our CCH childhood experiences. I have nothing but fond memories. I have noted your email address and will contact you...
Sue
Roberta Byrns wrote:
Myself and my 3 other sisters and 1 older brother were placed in the home in 1960 and got out in 1968. My older sisters Lisa and Pam were placed upstairs in Maria Goretti and my younger sister and I were in Little Flower, my brother in Don Bosco. I remember Father Quilligan, and on Sundays getting to go with him for a newspaper. Church everyday, I played violin. My kindergarten teachers name was Sister Engelbert, just a tiny little thing, I had Sister Helen at first on our floor, then Sister Olivia took over. Father Quilligan had a Saint Bernard, and I remember swinging for hours thinking the higher I got then I could get away. I also remember playing lots and lots of tetherball and winning all the time. If Delores Haglaur or Kathy Rios, Lenee & Renee Somers are out there, send me a note, would love to hear from everyone.
richard bates

Maryland Heights, MO

#42 Apr 21, 2010
Jackie wrote:
I went to the open house at the orphange in November. I took pictures of the orphanage and I took pictures of the pictures that they had at the orphanage. I would be happy to email them to anyone who want them...
could you email me the pictures? my email is rick63044@aol.com thanks rick.
AuntK

Mims, FL

#43 Jun 4, 2010
Catholic Here wrote:
Does anyone have info on this Children home in the 1950 In Alton Illinois. Was this a home for Catholic's only? What was the purpose of this home.Why so many children there in the 1950's.Was it private school? Any infor welcome.Thanks
I spent time in CCH 1957 I was a very young child around five years of age. I shared this home with three brothers and two sisters.
The nuns were very strict but that's what helped us learn,Good manner and respect for others. I remember the Play room -I loved it there -I remember not wanting to share a doll with another little girl she wanted to Play with Shirley Temple doll but ,I had it first,she tried very hard to take it from me so I bite her on the arm, The Nun in the play room took the doll from me scolded me look at the teeth marks on the little girl arm, she made me say I was sorry.Sister had me put my arm out so she could bite me back to teach me a lesson.Maybe the lesson do onto other as others do onto you. My older sister was in Teen Angles side -that was for a little older girls, she hated it, she always wanted to find a way to escape the home- we would meet down a long hall way at night to meet in the bathroom. I remember church everyday before school-I remember praying behind my chair before each meal before we all sat at the long tables. I had a line of beds in my room. I was a thumb suckers the Sisters would tie my hand to the side rail put a sock over my hand to stop me from sucking, didn't work my other sister would get up untie my hand so I could suck to get to sleep, Then retie me later before morning . I made my 1st communion at CCH. My older brother was playing at the school when another young boy accidently put his eye out with a stick at age eight or nine years old -it was a very sad day- we prayed a lot. CCH was for Catholic and also a private home. My Aunt paid for all us children to school there together until my father was well enough to bring us home to live as a family and that he did . Thanks to my Aunt for her kindness saved our big family from being separated during very hard times. All nine children turned out find, two have passed away along with my mother in father. I have so much I remember, Like the May Flowering in front of the school I carried the crown of flowers. I'm not great with names but colors and detail of the home is still fixed in my mind today. My brother survived the eye being put out and was able to a just his life into adult hood with one eye.
I remember the clothes closet we would line up and the Nun would pick a dress for each girl on special days out side the uniforms days-I will never forget the red polka dotted dress I never got to wear ,Gee!!! I wanted to wear that dress so bad when I was six-I never forgot that dress still today. AuntK
Karina

Columbia, MO

#44 Jul 10, 2010
Thank you so much to everyone who has made an entry to this thread and shared their experiences. My partner and I visited the Children's Home today and were very interested in its history but could find no one to ask. There were three cars on the property. We did encounter someone who said he "worked on the fourth floor" and told us that "kids live up there". While we were there someone banged so hard on a tinted window in the back of the building that the entire panel shook. I also saw a teenaged girl looking down at me from another window in the oldest part of the building, and then read on the website when we got home that only boys live there now, and only in the modern sections. The website is very... biased. I would be very interested to see old photos and hear other experiences as well, my email address is karina.koji@gmail.com
Ed Colvin

Kansas City, MO

#45 Aug 2, 2010
Jackie wrote:
I went to the open house at the orphange in November. I took pictures of the orphanage and I took pictures of the pictures that they had at the orphanage. I would be happy to email them to anyone who want them...
Jackie,

I would be interested in any photos you took at the orphanage. I have been wanting to get back there for years, but just never seemed to have to time. I didn't learn about the 130th anniversary reunion until it was too late. So, if you have the time, I would definitely be interested in any photos you took while there. Thanks, in advance,

Ed
glenn

Knoxville, TN

#46 Aug 16, 2010
fond memories, myself and 2 brothers were there 1970 to 1973, sixth thru eighth grade for me, at SS Peter and Paul.
I recently had a lengthy discussion with a cousin who also attended a few years after. browsed thru the web page for the home, and also found this thread.
interesting stories, and then my own personal memories start kicking in.
glenn

Knoxville, TN

#47 Aug 17, 2010
Jackie wrote:
hello Jackie, I would love to see your pictures as well, have you uploaded to picasa or flickr or photobucket? if not, would sure like to receive an e-mail...glennyazell at gmail dot com...lol, sometimes spelling out keeps the spambots from harvesting e-mail addy's.
anyway, would love to see a website devoted to the Catholic Children's Home. searched again this morning, and there is just no site I can find to share and document the experiences of the children that attended or the folks that run the home.
so I would volunteer to start up a site, if a couple former attendees would like to moderate and participate, and build from there, or would appreciate a link to a forum if there is one out there that is not coming up in with google.
and I see there is not a "reply to all" in this forum, and don't know how many signed on for posting alerts of either choice here.

glenn

Knoxville, TN

#48 Aug 17, 2010
Mike Sommer wrote:
<quoted text>
Roberta,
This is Renee and Lenee's brother. I was there with them and stayed until 1976--- long time something like 65 to 76. My brother Brad and I were the only boys from the family for there long. Lenees email is Vic12Chic3@aol.com. Thanks for your post, it brings back so many memories. Yes, tetherball all the time. Volleyball in the summers. Capture the flag, sledding down the hill. And who could forget Father Quiligan? My kids cant understand. They want to go see the place so I am going to take them for a drive by.
hello Mike, I attended '70-73' in St Joe apartment with Sister Ada, and school at SS Peter and Paul 6-8th grade.
Father Quilligan, remember him well, strict, fair, devout, fun loving and a good cook, remember his turtle soup? and drove that dark green Grand Torino, rides to the train station and the like.
and all the Sisters, I think at the time, the apartment between St Joe and Little Flower was an apartment for the Sisters,.
good eating, strict discipline, schooling and athletics, played touch football on the blacktop, and tackle in the grass, roller skating, and hockey on roller skates, kick ball, the list goes on...bike trips to movie house, library, the caves...trips to see the cardinals play, Pier Marqette? current river...good old times.
not real good with the names from back then, but remember Mark and Phoebe Magrath, Raymond and Jimmy Eidlen? Jimmy Griffith, the Alexander brothers, the Rios sisters.
Ed Colvin

Kansas City, MO

#49 Aug 21, 2010
Ed Colvin wrote:
<quoted text>
Jackie,
I would be interested in any photos you took at the orphanage. I have been wanting to get back there for years, but just never seemed to have to time. I didn't learn about the 130th anniversary reunion until it was too late. So, if you have the time, I would definitely be interested in any photos you took while there. Thanks, in advance,
Ed
My email address is ecolvin44 at gmail dot com

Thx
Jacqueline Sims

Smyrna, TN

#50 Nov 22, 2010
Here is a link of pics to the Cartholic childre's home in Alton, Illinois

https://cid-4a0c151be57691cf.photos.live.com/...
glenn

Lady Lake, FL

#51 Nov 22, 2010
appreciate the link to your photos Jacqueline, but appears to need permission to view on windows live or skydrive.
am not even sure if there is a public option on windows live or skydrive, so short of sending permissions to view, maybe post on flickr or photobucket?
or, give permissions, not sure what involved there, have to be in contacts as well? not familiar with it myself, but do have a windows live account, and an interest in viewing your pictures.
thanks for any help in advance.
Jackie Sims

United States

#52 Nov 22, 2010
glenn wrote:
<quoted text>
hello Jackie, I would love to see your pictures as well, have you uploaded to picasa or flickr or photobucket? if not, would sure like to receive an e-mail...glennyazell at gmail dot com...lol, sometimes spelling out keeps the spambots from harvesting e-mail addy's.
anyway, would love to see a website devoted to the Catholic Children's Home. searched again this morning, and there is just no site I can find to share and document the experiences of the children that attended or the folks that run the home.
so I would volunteer to start up a site, if a couple former attendees would like to moderate and participate, and build from there, or would appreciate a link to a forum if there is one out there that is not coming up in with google.
and I see there is not a "reply to all" in this forum, and don't know how many signed on for posting alerts of either choice here.
Here is a link to the pics...

http://cid-4a0c151be57691cf.skydrive.live.com... !143
Jackie Sims

United States

#53 Nov 22, 2010
Ed Colvin wrote:
<quoted text>
Jackie,
Ed
Here is a link to pics of the home

http://cid-4a0c151be57691cf.skydrive.live.com... !143
Jackie Sims

United States

#54 Nov 22, 2010
glenn wrote:
appreciate the link to your photos Jacqueline, but appears to need permission to view on windows live or skydrive.
am not even sure if there is a public option on windows live or skydrive, so short of sending permissions to view, maybe post on flickr or photobucket?
or, give permissions, not sure what involved there, have to be in contacts as well? not familiar with it myself, but do have a windows live account, and an interest in viewing your pictures.
thanks for any help in advance.
I changed to account access...please try again and if it doesn't work I will email them....
Jackie Sims

United States

#55 Nov 22, 2010
glenn

Seattle, WA

#56 Nov 22, 2010
thank you Jackie, quite a slide show, brings back some memories, the floor tiles and staircases especially, zinged me right back in time to the early seventies.
Jacqueline Sims

United States

#57 Nov 23, 2010
glenn wrote:
thank you Jackie, quite a slide show, brings back some memories, the floor tiles and staircases especially, zinged me right back in time to the early seventies.
I am glad that you were able to see them....
tamra northcutt

Granite City, IL

#58 Dec 9, 2010
Roberta Byrns wrote:
my e-mail is kpreciouspea@cox.net, hope to hear from someone.
I had sister olivia also I was put in little flowers when I was their father Quilligan had an english bulldog named phillip I was there during the flood of 1973 I had six brothers and sisters they seperated all of us.I remember being put to work in the kitchen loading the dish washer for $.75 an hour my first check was for$11.50 they had me open a savings acct. at Alton Bank I was 11.Some of the sisters were not very nice I remember that but I didn't have any problems w/them personally.I remember Helen and Kathy Rios also.We also did alot of cool things like go to the arch and cruise on the Admiral also went to a summer camp in Kentucky.I remember a P.E. teacher they hired for the summer her name was Beth Campbell I think she had a vw bug and red curly hair she was so cool she took us camping and to siue to go swimming.
tamra northcutt

Granite City, IL

#59 Dec 9, 2010
I remember you mike sommer I was in the next room in music playing the clarinet while you were learning the saxphone in th other.My brother was here from Colorado last Summer and he went there but they would not let him past the front part inside.My brothers were Rusty and Michael Northcutt.
tamra northcutt

Granite City, IL

#60 Dec 9, 2010
Ed Colvin wrote:
<quoted text>
Jackie,
Ed
I also would be very interested in any photos please.My email is tamragreen@ymail.com Thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gay sex May 19 Just curious 1
Provision Living- Unpaid Lunchbreak Lawsuit May 18 GetYourMoneyBack 1
John reynolds May 14 Mindy 2
Why are there so many single mothers in Wood River May 14 Barb 3
Mike Tidwell (Sep '14) May 6 Mindy 5
Kristy Gaines May 6 Mindy 3
News Tailgate Sale This Saturday May 4 lin 1
More from around the web

Alton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE