Kentwood man killed by train

Kentwood man killed by train

There are 105 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Sep 13, 2008, titled Kentwood man killed by train. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A Kentwood man was killed early Saturday morning after he was struck by a train in Alto.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
RMC

Hudsonville, MI

#1 Sep 13, 2008
BAD place to take a nap!!!!!

Since: Jul 08

Colorado Springs, CO

#2 Sep 13, 2008
hmmm ya think he was drinking?
Lance

Muskegon, MI

#4 Sep 13, 2008
When they were handing out brains, he thought they said trains and said no thanks....I'll take the bus !
Alto resident

Riverside, CA

#5 Sep 13, 2008
Seriously this isn't something to be joking about. Who hasnt drank to much where they passed out in random places. Get a life this was a person with a family. A good family at that. My thoughts and prayers are with the family!
Ann

Montague, MI

#6 Sep 13, 2008
The tragedy is horrible. However, we may have all done irresponsible things in our youth. But, I can assure you laying on train tracks isn't one of them. Passing out in random places never included the local CSX tracks for comfort. He had to apparently walk to get to that point. Again he was 31 yrs. old not exactly that youthful.
Lenndog Bully

Grand Haven, MI

#7 Sep 13, 2008
Alto resident wrote:
Seriously this isn't something to be joking about. Who hasnt drank to much where they passed out in random places. Get a life this was a person with a family. A good family at that. My thoughts and prayers are with the family!
I haven't, and neither have a good number of my friends. This is what Charles Darwin was thinking about when he wrote about the idea of natural selection...
disgusted

Amelia Court House, VA

#8 Sep 13, 2008
Alto resident wrote:
It is nice to see someone around here has a soul...this was someone's son, brother, cousin, friend...I hope that if anything bad ever happens to the other morons who have commented on this, that ignorant, insensitive people keep thier heinous comments to themselves.
johnny5

Detroit, MI

#9 Sep 13, 2008
Alto resident wrote:
Couldn't agree with you more. Just because someone is a poor hobo don't be all superior and take delight in his lonely and tragic demise, far from home and his loved ones. There but for the grace of God.
Sober

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Sep 13, 2008
Alto resident wrote:
I haven't!
Trix-C

Holland, MI

#11 Sep 13, 2008
Are you sure that he wasn't placed there? Sounds a little fishy that he would lay down there to "sleep". Either way I hope this mans family will be able to cope with this loss...may his family have peace. God Bless.
Not surprised

Suwanee, GA

#12 Sep 13, 2008
I'm with most everyone else who has commented on it so far. Usually, anyone walking down tracks that are as busy as those are, while drunk, is rather stupid, and others (including his friends and family) didn't help by failing him.
Pat

Salt Lake City, UT

#13 Sep 13, 2008
What ever the reason for this happening, its sad...I will be praying for his family to get this horrible time in their lives. Only God can give them the strength and peace that they need so much right now. God bless
Free Market

Sturgis, MI

#14 Sep 13, 2008
Sounds more like he wanted the pain to end and got creative about it. Whatever the intentions, the fact remains that everyone who loved or knew this person is left thinking "could I have done something to help him" and that is the true pain of suicide. Those left behind have to deal with this event. That is what makes suicide such a selfish act. Pray for the family,friends, train conductor etc.
wife of railroader

Traverse City, MI

#16 Sep 13, 2008
This is sad and the neg comments are just as sad. We need to think of everybody involved here. The engineers and conductors that were on this train or any other train when something like his happens have just as hard of a time with this. If this was suicide it is not fair for the men and women that run the trains. Hopefully we can now see the signs from loved loves that are reaching out for help. My thoughts and prayers are for everyone involved.
Alto resident

Riverside, CA

#17 Sep 13, 2008
Well he was walking home from the bar being responsible instead of driving and killing someone else. Yes everyone has their opinions keep them to yourself we all make mistakes. Think about the family.
alto resident too

Reedsville, WI

#18 Sep 13, 2008
First of all, no one has said he 'took a nap' on the tracks. Secondly, this guy lived in Alto his entire life and had just recently moved to Kentwood.
Thirdly, his Mother's home is just down the tracks and he was walking there.
Fourth, we don't know that he committed suicide. We may never know.
I cannot believe that anyone who has ever read the news would take this story as gospel.
For anyone to say cruel and heartless things when they know NOTHING about this tragedy speaks more about you as a person than you would ever want anyone to know. Best to remain anonymous, huh?
Harley was known by everyone in this town. He was a very nice guy, loved by all. We are all feeling horrible about this so thanks for your sensitivity and kindness. I pray to God you will never have to live through anything like this. Shame on you for your heartless and crappy comments.
This is a very small town where everyone knows everyone and we all care about each other. Maybe this is a foreign concept to city dwellers.
Have some human decency if you can. If you cannot find it in your hearts to feel empathy for someone other than yourselves, perhaps you should keep your comments to yourselves. My sincere condolences to his family, friends and the entire town.
michael g

Kalamazoo, MI

#19 Sep 13, 2008
johnny5 wrote:
<quoted text>Couldn't agree with you more. Just because someone is a poor hobo don't be all superior and take delight in his lonely and tragic demise, far from home and his loved ones. There but for the grace of God.
I'm not sure he was a hobo, and he wasn't THAT far from home. If he'd sobered up and gotten off of the tracks he could have walked home from there.
michael g

Kalamazoo, MI

#20 Sep 13, 2008
Alto resident wrote:
Well he was walking home from the bar being responsible instead of driving and killing someone else. Yes everyone has their opinions keep them to yourself we all make mistakes. Think about the family.
So, you give us your opinion that the guy who got run over by the train was being responsible, then you tell us to keep our opinions to ourselves. My opinion is that you are not too bright.
Friend of family

Seattle, WA

#21 Sep 13, 2008
I agree the neg comments are sad and unneeded. If you don't know the true story, the reason it happened. It wasn't fair to the men and women on the trains but what is done is done and now the family is in need of prayers. He was someones husband, child, friend.
JAB

Grand Rapids, MI

#22 Sep 13, 2008
You people who are saying negative things should be ashamed of yourselves. I knew Harley and he was a great friend and a great person. He's had some problems in his life but who hasn't. Quit being such heartless worms and show some compassion for his family!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bobby snide the career criminal May 18 Hahayourpathetic 10
News Body of Rockford man found in Flat River after ... (Oct '10) May 14 jeff 49
Zack Dale (Jul '13) Nov '15 Capita income 8
Crazy driver in a silver Malibu (May '15) Nov '15 backdoor man 2
News Deanie Peters disappearance remains a mystery a... (May '08) Aug '15 Concerned bystander 111
I would like to have bass lessons (Jul '15) Jul '15 cass65 1
Review: Haman Hounds (Dec '14) Dec '14 sharen van santen 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alto Mortgages