Grocery stores freshen up in Central Florida

Say goodbye to the cookie-cutter grocery store. As shoppers become more selective, grocers are rearranging their aisles to do a better job of catering to their neighborhoods. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Felice

Orlando, FL

#1 Jun 25, 2008
I am finding Publix very expensive as they have raised their prices and because of this am seeking elsewhere to shop.
Bud

Orlando, FL

#2 Jun 25, 2008
Many price increases in ALL grocery stores are due to the cost of fuel that someone has to pay and obviously it is passed on to the consumer.
King Whitee

Longwood, FL

#3 Jun 25, 2008
When will winn dixie just go away? The are NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTY and will never get any better
Ex Publix shopper

Tampa, FL

#4 Jun 25, 2008
Publix has a monopoly,they are over charging for products and customer service has delined. I can't tell you the last time some offered to carry out my bags. Deli meats are way out of sight,a local deli with fresh cooked products is $4.00 cheaper per pound,not some preserved hunk of meat that publix is selling.
Fruit and vegetables are double $$,then what you can purchase at a local fruit market.
Employees are paid bonuses and stock owners are receiving large divedend checks. I know a driver who is getting a $20,000 dividend check from Publix stock. People stocking shelves get quartely bonuses of several thousand dollars. Store managers making in excess of $100,000 per year plus benefits,way over paid. Try to find a store manager when you need one,hiding in the office or not working today.
markdauvid

Satellite Beach, FL

#5 Jun 25, 2008
i am from central new jersey and i moved here in 2001. i was really surprised that grocery prices were higher down here than up there one example was the Spanish coffee i used to buy on sale for 99 cents was almost $3.00 here. the publix experiment to me is old news. shop rite where i shopped had that concept before i left new jersey with many more options which included a bank,a cell phone store, a place to by entrees by the pound, prepared gourmet style entrees,etc. i wish shop rite was here they would put them all out of business.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#6 Jun 25, 2008
We have lots of chain supermarkets here in the DC area; but when it comes to saving $$ on produce, meat, and seafood, I do my shopping at a local Latin American/Asian market. The produce/meat/and seafood are fresh and cheaper than the chains. Spices and dried herbs, while they might not be packaged in the fancy little green bottles, they're just as good as the name brands and LOTS cheaper. If you have any ethnic stores in your area, you might want to see what you can find, you may just end up saving a few dollars on your grocery bill. Plus, you'll find lots of new things for your family meals!
Islander

Orlando, FL

#7 Jun 25, 2008
Perhaps the grocers could try something really radical like keeping items in stock. And I swear that Publix must track what I buy so that they know what items & brands to quit carrying! Grocery shopping here is an exercise in frustration.
cgw

Orlando, FL

#8 Jun 25, 2008
Ex Publix shopper wrote:
Publix has a monopoly,they are over charging for products and customer service has delined. I can't tell you the last time some offered to carry out my bags. Deli meats are way out of sight,a local deli with fresh cooked products is $4.00 cheaper per pound,not some preserved hunk of meat that publix is selling.
Fruit and vegetables are double $$,then what you can purchase at a local fruit market.
Employees are paid bonuses and stock owners are receiving large divedend checks. I know a driver who is getting a $20,000 dividend check from Publix stock. People stocking shelves get quartely bonuses of several thousand dollars. Store managers making in excess of $100,000 per year plus benefits,way over paid. Try to find a store manager when you need one,hiding in the office or not working today.
I have been very happy with Publix for their good quality, service, and price. If they pay their employees well and offer profit-sharing too, that makes me like them even more.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#9 Jun 25, 2008
Islander wrote:
Perhaps the grocers could try something really radical like keeping items in stock. And I swear that Publix must track what I buy so that they know what items & brands to quit carrying! Grocery shopping here is an exercise in frustration.
Sounds like some of the stores up this way. I understand that stores run out of products at various times, but I'll swear it seems that some shelves in some of our stores are ALWAYS empty, no matter what day of the week or time of day you're there.
Dale

United States

#10 Jun 25, 2008
You didn't mention Save A Lot 'extreme value groceries', a no frills, low price chain that has several Orlando area locations. A new store just opened in Casselberry.
http://www.save-a-lot.com/display.do...
Wally

Orlando, FL

#11 Jun 25, 2008
No one mentioned The Fresh Market at all in this story! They have two Orlando locations (Winter Park and Dr. Phillips) and have amazing meats and deli items. They are small too so you get personal service but they have everthing I need: meat, seafood, a bakery, a deli, produce, grocery, and bulk goods. Their prices arn't always the cheapest but its always high quality stuff!
Jax

Kissimmee, FL

#12 Jun 25, 2008
I'd like a Wegmans!!!
Lonnie

Winter Park, FL

#13 Jun 25, 2008
Publix couldn't get any better where we shop. Of course not all Publix stores are alike but if I want to pay more, all I have to do is travel to Winn dixie or Albertsons. And Walmart produce...ewwwww! And paying 25 cents to rent a shopping cart...ok, let me bring my own into the store.
later gator

Winter Park, FL

#14 Jun 25, 2008
I just want a clean store with good-looking meats, fruits and veggies. Nothing is more disgusting than going into a dirty grocery store.

Since: Apr 08

Brooklyn, New York

#15 Jun 25, 2008
Wally wrote:
No one mentioned The Fresh Market at all in this story! They have two Orlando locations (Winter Park and Dr. Phillips) and have amazing meats and deli items. They are small too so you get personal service but they have everthing I need: meat, seafood, a bakery, a deli, produce, grocery, and bulk goods. Their prices arn't always the cheapest but its always high quality stuff!
I go to the Fres Market in Dr. Phillips and while they can sometimes be pricey, the quality of food is amazing as is the customer service. Also, I get my spices from there and they are actually cheaper. They come in ziploc bags instead of jars, but the quality is just as good if not better and costs a fraction of the spices in the grocery stores.

Since: Apr 08

Brooklyn, New York

#16 Jun 25, 2008
Jax wrote:
I'd like a Wegmans!!!
OMG, I would love a Wegmans!It doesn't get much better than Wegmans.

Since: Apr 08

Brooklyn, New York

#17 Jun 25, 2008
Lonnie wrote:
Publix couldn't get any better where we shop. Of course not all Publix stores are alike but if I want to pay more, all I have to do is travel to Winn dixie or Albertsons. And Walmart produce...ewwwww! And paying 25 cents to rent a shopping cart...ok, let me bring my own into the store.
With Aldi's you have to put a quarter into the cart to use it, but you get it back when you return the cart to the cart corral(sp?).
MCOScott

United States

#18 Jun 25, 2008
Jax wrote:
I'd like a Wegmans!!!
AMEN, Brother!!!! It's like a Disneyworld of groceries!
Some Guy

Kissimmee, FL

#19 Jun 25, 2008
SuperTarget also sells groceries...
louie judd

United States

#20 Jun 25, 2008
cgw wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been very happy with Publix for their good quality, service, and price. If they pay their employees well and offer profit-sharing too, that makes me like them even more.
Publix is a private company and the employees do have profit sharing so you should be tickled pink

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altamonte Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min John Galt 1,154,077
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 38 min Ellen 490,196
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 54 min B as in B S as in S 49,215
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 3 hr AN is me 26,190
Everything is Peachy 8 hr the circus is in ... 1
Has anyone ever had a new appliance fail multip... (Mar '12) 8 hr Cheyenne Autumn 9
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 10 hr Murph 70,608
More from around the web

Altamonte Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Altamonte Springs News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Altamonte Springs

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:40 am PST

NBC Sports 6:40AM
Bortles: We showed the country who we are
NBC Sports11:45 AM
Just like old (sad) times: Buccaneers double-digit home underdogs vs. Packers
NBC Sports 1:39 PM
Young Jaguars piecing together key building blocks - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 8:19 PM
Ranking Packers' Best Wins over Buccaneers
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions