Debutante ball is tradition reborn

Debutante ball is tradition reborn

There are 10 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 20, 2008, titled Debutante ball is tradition reborn. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The gown is far from modern. The sleeves are billowing and the skirt is stiff with tulle netting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Also A Debutante

Ocoee, FL

#7 Jan 20, 2008
This was and continues to be a wonderful opportunity to expose young women to social graces as well as highlighting and rewarding their accomplishments. More importantly,This is a scholarship opportunity for each debutante. The community should be proud of these talented young women as they are honor roll students, hold leadership positions at their respective schools and volunteer in the community. These are rare jewels when compared to their peers both inside and outside of their race. They are excellent examples of what teenage girls should represent particularly in light of the external obstacles they face daily. It is empowering to see that the Sentinal is exposing the positive aspects of the minority community.
John

Flushing, NY

#8 Jan 20, 2008
You go girls or I should say young ladies,it is refreshing to read positive stories and acomplishments of these young women.You have been given the ball and I hope that each and every one of you run as far as you can with it,enter the field of study that comforts your thirst while continuing to be examples to those who are on the edge.Lifes most rewarding gift is one that showers the world with respect,dignity,
success and acomplishments.My hope is that each of you experience all.
Momofmany30

Tavares, FL

#11 Jan 20, 2008
I want to commend the young ladies for the hard work and acheivements that they were recognized for. They make wonderful role models for their peers and others. Congrats on the well deserved scholarships!!!!
dnice973

Kissimmee, FL

#12 Jan 20, 2008
How can I get more information about the program? I have a teenager and would love to get her involved with such a positive program. Can someone from the organization post the contact information? Thank you in advance!
whatever

United States

#14 Jan 21, 2008
These girls have probably already accomplished much more in their short lives than someone with such a narrow view of the world and its people as you still laughing. They'll be "still laughing," as they pass you up on the way to the top. You go girls!
im2deliciz63

United States

#15 Jan 21, 2008
Let's not forget to applaud the parents for doing an excellent job raising their young ladies to excel, and to the young ladies for keeping their act together.
Also A Debutante

Ocoee, FL

#16 Jan 21, 2008
Why can't this just be a wonderful story about accomplished young ladies. It seem ridiculous there continues to be a need to fight simple minded racists who can only use hiding behind the written word to riducule african americans. If a camera were to look into your environment we would find why you hate what these young ladies represent, future upward mobility and promise. You have no hope nor aspirations.
Some self introspection would do you well!
IdiotPeople

Winter Park, FL

#19 Jan 21, 2008
There's always some fool making stupid comments about anything printed. Get a grip people!
Mandingo

Kissimmee, FL

#20 Jan 21, 2008
I am offended. This practice takes us back hundreds of years. We should not dress like our former owners dressed! Ridiculous and pompous beyond belief.
Alicia Ford-Fant

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for this article.
I was a debutante back in 1985 in Orlando under Mrs. Randall, and it's a joy to see that it's still strong as it was back then.
I'm very proud and wish to see many more articles like this for years to come. Especially when my girls, currently 6 and 2, will be graced as debutantes in their coming out.
1985 Brigadette Debutante
Alicia Ford-Fant (Lisa Ford)
Jones High (Orlando, Florida) and Tuskegee University Graduate
Twin Cities, MN

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altamonte Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 3 min hal lucinations 498,315
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min EasyEed 1,234,642
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 19 min Doug77 9,346
The alphabet (Jun '06) 21 min Doug77 1,347
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 42 min Doug77 17,860
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 1 hr Murph 71,883
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr factcheck 53,510
More from around the web

Altamonte Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]