Man arrested in slaying of roommate

An Altamonte Springs man was arrested Wednesday night, accused of killing his roommate, who was found dead in their apartment several hours earlier. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Outspoken Sista

Orlando, FL

#3 Mar 22, 2007
It is a shame to me that people would talk poorly about people they don't even know. A person has died who was a friend, son, brother, cousin, and all society wants to do is stereotype. The victim was an educated,hard working individual who helped others. Crimes are committed in all races and by all types. We should not stereotype and point fingers and make assumptions to things we don't know all the facts for. That is what is wrong wth our society. We continually make slanderous remarks and preconcieved judgements about victims in cases and their lives and forget to look at the criminals. What happened to victims rights. Nowadays, we should be looking at protecting the victims and not the rights of the criminals. I hope this victim has justice.
upset

Lexington, SC

#4 Mar 22, 2007
this was not your typical run of the mill murder. both were professionals at the same company, the victim a network services employee in the IT department, the other was in sales. i knew them both. i think the chances of it being a lover's quarrel are very slim. i'm pretty sure they are/were both hetero. there is much we don't know. the victim was a wonderful person who was well loved at his place of employment for the four years he worked there. the accused got his job about 6 months ago due to the victim's reference and gave him a ride to and from work everyday. the co-workers of both men are struggling to deal with this senseless tradgedy
Mark Kegler

United States

#5 Mar 22, 2007
Mark Chandler was like my brother for so many years we have been friends and family to each other. I just found out last night what happend I have been very sad since. We email each othere everyday and now he is gone he was one of my favorite people. He will be missed but he will be welcome in heaven with his grndmother Miss Chandler God bless her soul. I know its God choice when it is time to go and I know that mark Chandler and his grandmothere were close very close and I know when she passed a part of him left. And I also know his grandmother needs him and he is now home I will miss you unitil I see you Love Mark Kegler
Confused

United States

#6 Mar 22, 2007
clean up what ?
Bibliophile11

Apopka, FL

#7 Mar 22, 2007
Outspoken Sista wrote:
It is a shame to me that people would talk poorly about people they don't even know. A person has died who was a friend, son, brother, cousin, and all society wants to do is stereotype. The victim was an educated,hard working individual who helped others. Crimes are committed in all races and by all types. We should not stereotype and point fingers and make assumptions to things we don't know all the facts for. That is what is wrong wth our society. We continually make slanderous remarks and preconcieved judgements about victims in cases and their lives and forget to look at the criminals. What happened to victims rights. Nowadays, we should be looking at protecting the victims and not the rights of the criminals. I hope this victim has justice.
The ghoulish morons posting these remarks smell tragedies and crawl out of the woodwork like cockroaches. I think they probably live for this. They always manage to find some way to blame the victim, they insult family members if they can find any fantastical reason to do so, and they specialize in ugly racism up to and including extermination of any race they imagine is inferior -- as if they weren't the lowest of the low themselves. Sad to say, but true.
Stephanie M

Rochester, NY

#8 Mar 22, 2007
I want everyone to know that Mark was someone my boyfriend looked up to when there was no one else there to look up to. My boyfirend is the victims younger bother and for the people that posted that e mail. when his mother comes online to read the article and the things that are so untrue how is that going to make her feel. If there is nothing else for you to say besides something way off from the truth then please save me his brother, his sisters aunts, uncles, cousins, friends family and everyone else the heartache becuase we all are going through a rough and difficult time right now. To Mark I am so sorry I didn't get to meet my future bother-in-law you seemed to have a spirit only angels have, and that is why god wanted to see you again. To Miss Mary I love you VERY VERY MUCH and I am up here in Rochester sending my love down for you!!!! Please and to all future bloggers please spare us the critique and the should'as all we need are prayers. GOD BLESS
Karri

Fruitland Park, FL

#10 Mar 22, 2007
Mark was a Great Friend and always had a wonder smile.I wish the family strength at this time.Mark we will all miss you.
Wally

United States

#11 Mar 22, 2007
The same way he's blessed us with his presence when he was here, he can now look down and watch over us. He was a great friend to myself and to many others. I still can't come to the fact that he is no longer here; but there is some comfort in knowing that he's with his grandmother now. Mark, you will truly be missed. I'll hold on to the memories and keep the good times close to my heart. He may be gone now, but never forgotten. My prayers go out to your family.
Misty

Lake Mary, FL

#12 Mar 22, 2007
To Mark's Family my thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time. Mark was very loved at his place of employment and I happened to work very closely with him for about 2 1/2 years. He was a very kind hearted, would do anything for anyone man. He will be missed dearly. We love you Mark. May you find comfort in God's hands now!
wiseacre

United States

#13 Mar 22, 2007
Police said people in the area don't need to fear for their safety, stressing that this type of criminal activity rarely happens. The last time detectives In Altamonte Springs investigated a homicide was more than a year ago...

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT

Armed assailants wearing towels on their heads shot the president of an Altamonte Springs mortgage company multiple times at his home this morning, said Seminole County deputies.

Lt. Tracy Fortenberry of the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said Michael G. Carvalho, 40, called deputies at 5:18 a.m. after suffering several gunshots at his home on 224 Ridgewood Street, near Altamonte Springs.

"A group of men wearing towels wrapped around their heads confronted the victim. An argument ensued and the suspects fired multiple shots at Carvalho," Fortenberry said.

This is the second incident of violent crime in the Altamonte Springs area in the last two days. Police Wednesday arrested Altamonte Springs resident Elkan A. Chance, 27, on murder charges. Chance is accused of killing his roommate, who was found dead in their apartment hours before his arrest.

IS THIS THE START OF A TREND.....
Co woker

Altamonte Springs, FL

#14 Mar 22, 2007
He was very well liked and we will miss him a grate deal. Ignorance is bliss. He was a good man with allot to live for. He had a promising future with our company. Those who think other wise never met him. Gods grace to all who will grieve for this loss.
upset wrote:
this was not your typical run of the mill murder. both were professionals at the same company, the victim a network services employee in the IT department, the other was in sales. i knew them both. i think the chances of it being a lover's quarrel are very slim. i'm pretty sure they are/were both hetero. there is much we don't know. the victim was a wonderful person who was well loved at his place of employment for the four years he worked there. the accused got his job about 6 months ago due to the victim's reference and gave him a ride to and from work everyday. the co-workers of both men are struggling to deal with this senseless tradgedy
Fellow Employee

Fruitland Park, FL

#15 Mar 22, 2007
I still cant believe that never again will I see that sweet smiling face walking the floors of my work place. mark was one of the only people that I can say I have never heard anyone speak an ill word about and for someone to take his life is something that I still am finding difficult to comprehend. Those that were are blessed as me to work with him and have his friendship will miss him more then I think he even though could be possible. To his mother and family always know that even know the pain will always be there, to know that he is now with God helping him watch over you and all of us is enough for me to be able to at least subside my tears for a minute. I love and miss you every second of the day.
tiguera

Brooksville, FL

#16 Mar 22, 2007
Mark was a kind soul. He always had time to listen to me and never judged, always had a smile for me. He WILL be missed by many.
Please don't judge a situation that none of us knows anything about. We weren't there, we don't know how things hapenned. The culprit will pay...sooner or later
Butterflyangel

Altamonte Springs, FL

#17 Mar 22, 2007
Mark was like a brother to most of us that knew him, he had a smile that was like a angel and a heart larger than many.We will miss our (Jahiem ) dearly,and to his family my prays are with you,for god has brought our angel home and he shall now look over us and guide us. Til we met again.....

Eternal Love,
Q
ANGEL_EYES

Kissimmee, FL

#18 Mar 22, 2007
shipem wrote:
wow what a shocker...keep killing each other ,, it seems to be the only way to clean up
STEREOTYPING IS IN THE AIR. I KNOW THAT ISN'T WORDS FROM A PERSON OF GOD, THAT'S MORE LIKE THE "DEVIL". PUT YOURSELF IN THE OTHER PERSONS SHOES. YOU DON'T KNOW HIM TO BE SAYING SUCH COMMENTS. HE WAS A WONDERFUL PERSON AND CARED ABOUT EVERYONE. HE NEVER JUDGED ANYONE FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVED IN, HE WAS ALWAYS THERE TO GIVE YOU HIS SUPPORT. EVEN IF HE WAS STRUGGLING, HE ALWAYS HAD A SMILE ON HIS FACE, AND I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT SMILE. SO MY RESPONSE TO THIS HORRIBLE NASTY COMMENT IS. "ONLY GOD KNOWS THE TRUTH" THIS MAN WAS KILLED FOR NO REASON! YOU HEAR ME......NOOOOOOOOOO REASON. NO ONE DESERVES TO DIE, AND DEATH SHOULDN'T BE WISHED UPON ANYONE. SO MY ADVICE TO YOU IS TO TAKE BACK WHAT YOU SAID BECAUSE IT'S PROVEN THAT "WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND". AND I WILL PRAY FOR YOU TO HAVE A HEART. MARK CHANDLER WILL BE EXTREMELY MISSED BY THOSE WHO KNEW HIM. I KNEW HIM AND HE WAS A GOOD MAN. HE KEPT IT REAL WITH PEOPLE. HE WASN'T FAKE, HE WAS REAL, HE WAS HIMSELF. A NORMAL PERSON JUST TRYING TO GET BY. MY PRAYERS ARE SENT TO THE FAMILY. I'M SO SORRY YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS. I'M HAVING A HARD TIME DEALING WITH IT MYSELF. GOD BLESS, AND I KNOW THE ANGELS ARE WITH HIM NOW.
LaRon Chandler

Rochester, NY

#19 Mar 22, 2007
Thats my Big Brother..... My only brother. My mother's first chid. Our family's first grandchild. We can't even begin to fathom the reasoning behind this whole devastating ordeal. Mark was the most enjoyable, kindest, reasonable kind of person that you could ever meet. As his borther remebering living in the same room with him as children to talking to him the night before all of this. I have never heard Mark speek of ill will towards anyone. Our mother tought us to help those around us in need. We know that thats where our blessings come from. And that was him. A bleesing. He knew sensitivty, compassion, and showed concern for those who needed comfort. Especially for his family. Mark you were "The Perfect Big Brother". Even from Orlando you kept me out of trouble and made sure mommy and the girls were ok. You had huge hand in teaching me how to be a man. I thank you for that. I know that your co workers enjoyed you because you alwaysed smiled and complemented others. He loved that nice vibe for people. You have so much respect for others and for that people embrassed you. My borther, you were the prime example of a good man. A teacher. A mentor. You always told me think nothing but positive thoughts and ways. Thank you. You tought me to appriciate and work with what was provided to us. Thank you.

On behalf of the Chandler family I would to Thank those who took Mark into their hearts, as if he were family and I ask that you never forget him, that great man.

We love you and we miss you "Markie".we'll see you later.

I Love You,
"Bigheaded" LaRon Chandler
LaRon Chandler

Rochester, NY

#20 Mar 22, 2007
Thats my Big Brother..... My only brother. My mother's first chid. Our family's first grandchild. We can't even begin to fathom the reasoning behind this whole devastating ordeal. Mark was the most enjoyable, kindest, reasonable kind of person that you could ever meet. As his borther remebering living in the same room with him as children to talking to him the night before all of this. I have never heard Mark speek of ill will towards anyone. Our mother tought us to help those around us in need. We know that thats where our blessings come from. And that was him. A blessing. He knew sensitivty, compassion, and showed concern for those who needed comfort. Especially for his family. Mark you were "The Perfect Big Brother". Even from Orlando you kept me out of trouble and made sure mommy and the girls were ok. You had huge hand in teaching me how to be a man. I thank you for that. I know that your co workers enjoyed you because you always smiled and complemented others. He loved that nice vibe form people. You have so much respect for others and for that people embrassed you. My borther, you were the prime example of a good man. A teacher. A mentor. You always told me think nothing but positive thoughts and ways. Thank you. You tought me to appriciate and work with what was provided to us. Thank you.

On behalf of the Chandler family I would to Thank those who took Mark into their hearts, as if he were family and I ask that you never forget him, that great man.

We love you and we miss you "Markie".we'll see you later.

I Love You,
"Bigheaded" LaRon Chandler
Not Surpirzed

Chesapeake, VA

#21 Mar 23, 2007
Elkan Chance was greedy, ill tempered, sneeky, untrustworthy type of person that always got involved with the wrong crowd. Totally misguided. I can't even understand how him and the victim were roomates. Anyone with a good head on their shoulders would figure out I need to have nothing to do with Elkan Chance.

I wish the best for both families...sorry for both their losses.
Kenyatta

New York, NY

#22 Mar 23, 2007
This could not have happenend to a nicer person.Mark would have given you the shirt off of his back if you asked for it. There is no doubt in my mind that he is now in heaven with his grandmother. RIP Markie
Gods Queen

Rochester, NY

#23 Mar 23, 2007
As Mark Chandler left this earth doing what God expected of him.....he was helping a fellowman. For those of you who are thankful for his death, well at least we know we won't bump into you on the other side of the "pearly gates", God will see to that. Those small minded one's who's thought process could only scrape up a ignorant scenario about a "lovers quarrel, well there's the proof of how a small mind really works. To the Chandlers', "May Gods grace and mercy see you through such a trying time." God is always in control, so please know that He will carry your entire family and those near and dear to Markiesí heart through this time of sorrow. Why God needed him now will never be explained, but know that whatever the reasoning behind this senseless act, God has the final word. Markies' in Gods' hands now, and for those that knew him and those that loved him this if nothing else is comforting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altamonte Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min PolakPotrafi 1,205,321
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 15 min T-Fal 494,060
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 28 min OzRitz 52,223
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 48 min Princess Hey 17,481
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 50 min Princess Hey 12,258
Big time news? 1 hr the circus is in ... 1
Schools are war zones 1 hr the circus is in ... 1
More from around the web

Altamonte Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]