Capital students walk in shoes of poo...

Capital students walk in shoes of poor to learn empathy | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 83 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 25, 2011, titled Capital students walk in shoes of poor to learn empathy | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Diana Crandall had always thought of herself as a compassionate person. She had endured bullies in junior high school and lost her father when she was 15.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
making lemonade

Blacklick, OH

#3 Apr 25, 2011
killthecrazies wrote:
why would you want to do this? you pay alot of money and spend alot of time going to college to make something of yourself. not to learn how to be a loser!!
You are looking at this exercise the wrong way. By "walking a mile in someone's shoes" you have their shoes and you are a mile away.
Ambrosia375

Columbus, OH

#4 Apr 25, 2011
I hope the that these young people will change the world for the better. We need more people in our world that care about others.
Technically Right

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 25, 2011
Aren't the students already poor considering Capital's U's tuition rates?...
kenny

Dublin, OH

#6 Apr 25, 2011
Ahhhhhhh. Affective Education. As done by a liberal who wants to revamp the world into his idea of a Socialist Nirvana. I wonder if the parents who are footing the bill approve of this little experiment? BTW. That kids' hunger alliance thingy is BS. Check it out. I mean really check it out.
fiery buddha

Columbus, OH

#7 Apr 25, 2011
kenny wrote:
Ahhhhhhh. Affective Education. As done by a liberal who wants to revamp the world into his idea of a Socialist Nirvana. I wonder if the parents who are footing the bill approve of this little experiment? BTW. That kids' hunger alliance thingy is BS. Check it out. I mean really check it out.
You are SOOOO right. We don't want our youth exposed to understanding or caring about the community at large, nor the suffering millions of fellow human beings are experiencing. How TOTALLY stupid and wasteful!

It's better to lock them up in pretty, shiny buildings and teach them how to make money so they can go forward and live a nice, fascist's corporate-driven life free of any responsibility to fellow human beings or anything else silly, except making money and using consumable goods at an unprecedented pace.

I'll take a Socialist Nirvana any day over your cruel, mean-hearted world. And what's the babbling about kids' hunger alliance? Would you like to tell us where you checked "it" out (whatever "it" is), and share?
Trump2012

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8 Apr 25, 2011
This has got to be one othe dumbest, most ignorant acts of self-importance I've ever seen. INSTEAD, why don't you take some of these "poor people" and put them in YOUR shoes. Show them how to stop smoking rock, how to get to work on time, how to balance a checkbook, how to save for a deposit for an apartment, how to work two/three part time jobs if no full time work is avaliable, how to use contraception, etc. You idiots who think your so compassionate and care so much for the downtrodden are the exact ones who help keep these people their with your pity parties. Make the understand what it is to be a part of the working world so they can pull their own weight.
Agreed

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 25, 2011
Trump2012 wrote:
This has got to be one othe dumbest, most ignorant acts of self-importance I've ever seen. INSTEAD, why don't you take some of these "poor people" and put them in YOUR shoes. Show them how to stop smoking rock, how to get to work on time, how to balance a checkbook, how to save for a deposit for an apartment, how to work two/three part time jobs if no full time work is avaliable, how to use contraception, etc. You idiots who think your so compassionate and care so much for the downtrodden are the exact ones who help keep these people their with your pity parties. Make the understand what it is to be a part of the working world so they can pull their own weight.
These trust fund kids don't know a thing about walking in others' shoes. From the time they were born to now they have lived a life of luxury and privilege. This is just a short-term school project that lasted for a short duration. The comments they made in the article are probably book answers, thus not sincere. This article just serves as a PR or marketing tool for Cap.
workingdadof7

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 25, 2011
What a sob story. Knowing that you will go back to a warm bed and all when it is over. It's like telling a soldier who's been in combat that "I know how you feel, I went to a paintball park".

“Time traveler”

Since: Apr 10

At large

#11 Apr 25, 2011
These kids will be better adults because of their understanding of the world around them, unlike some posters here that only think of themselves.

Everybody that is poor and homeless is not there because they are lazy drunks or drug users.
Student

Hilliard, OH

#14 Apr 25, 2011
My name is Diana, and I am the one who was interviewed for this story - these comments are actually extremely harsh. Did you think I wasn't going to read this? We're not 'idiots who think we're so compassionate'. I worked with children who were extremely poor, along with their families. Is that their fault? No. It isn't. So please stop judging and acting like you know anything about this experiment and these people when in reality, all you read was a short snippet written by a very kind and patient reporter.
Just Saying

Logan, OH

#15 Apr 25, 2011
As soon as I saw the headline of this article, I knew I had to see the comments. The very first one did not disappoint. Yahoos.

“Time traveler”

Since: Apr 10

At large

#16 Apr 25, 2011
Student wrote:
My name is Diana, and I am the one who was interviewed for this story - these comments are actually extremely harsh. Did you think I wasn't going to read this? We're not 'idiots who think we're so compassionate'. I worked with children who were extremely poor, along with their families. Is that their fault? No. It isn't. So please stop judging and acting like you know anything about this experiment and these people when in reality, all you read was a short snippet written by a very kind and patient reporter.
Thank you Diana, the fact that you did not recieve any school credit for this project shows what kind of people you are.

With any luck you will go forward in life and make a real difference. I just bet your parents are real proud of you, I know many of us are.
Nonsense

Columbus, OH

#17 Apr 25, 2011
Student wrote:
My name is Diana, and I am the one who was interviewed for this story - these comments are actually extremely harsh. Did you think I wasn't going to read this? We're not 'idiots who think we're so compassionate'. I worked with children who were extremely poor, along with their families. Is that their fault? No. It isn't. So please stop judging and acting like you know anything about this experiment and these people when in reality, all you read was a short snippet written by a very kind and patient reporter.
Diana, I think your participation in such an experiment is a noble thing for a Freshman, especially when I see how other freshmen act (immature, wild partying, etc.). However, I must poind out that although children certainly can't be faulted for being poor, often parents can. A line in the article says you and other participants played roles of a high school dropout, single mother, and food stamp recipient. While there are always exceptions to the rule, oftentimes one's poor life decisions lead to their later hardships. However, I still think it is an interesting program and commend you for stepping out of your comfort zone to gain some empathy - sadly, severely lacking in recent generations.
Citizen for many years

Columbus, OH

#18 Apr 25, 2011
You can do the same things buy going out looking for a job when you are younger. Learn the responsbility of mowing lawns. Do learn how to text or use a cell. Go to a drug a rehab center to see and learn by a class trip , What's it like before you learn that the guy down the street is a dealer. Don't worry about walking in someone else's shoes until you learn about who is walking in those shoes, what his chcaracter is. Is he going to try to sell you drugs and destroy the rest of your life. Don't worry about what you are putting on you feel until you know what you are putting in you mouth, or sticking into your viens. I am more concerned that the the kids who are learning about how you walked to school but do they know enough to say no to the drugs and alcohol when they are in school.
Good Grief

Columbus, OH

#20 Apr 25, 2011
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
These trust fund kids don't know a thing about walking in others' shoes. From the time they were born to now they have lived a life of luxury and privilege. This is just a short-term school project that lasted for a short duration. The comments they made in the article are probably book answers, thus not sincere. This article just serves as a PR or marketing tool for Cap.
I think you need to check the Capital records before you accuse anyone of being a "trust fund" kid. Most of the students receive some form of financial aid.
causal voter

Columbus, OH

#22 Apr 25, 2011
Just when a story shows a glimmer of hope in Columbus the comments section always dashes it just as immediately.

Empathy is a strong social tool and practice that goes much further than any dollar, piece of legislation, or class project.

I'm thankful there are more people looking out for "you" rather than just "me." It's a shame our elected officials, Democrat, Republican, and otherwise, can't participate for even 1 day in an exercise like this. It's a worse shame that the negative nancies on this board can't even comprehend love toward a stranger.

And those of you commenting here (negatively) who went to Church yesterday, call yourselves Christian and have a Bible in your house - you're doing the big Man proud!
Wild Wild West

United States

#23 Apr 25, 2011
fiery buddha wrote:
<quoted text>
You are SOOOO right. We don't want our youth exposed to understanding or caring about the community at large, nor the suffering millions of fellow human beings are experiencing. How TOTALLY stupid and wasteful!
It's better to lock them up in pretty, shiny buildings and teach them how to make money so they can go forward and live a nice, fascist's corporate-driven life free of any responsibility to fellow human beings or anything else silly, except making money and using consumable goods at an unprecedented pace.
I'll take a Socialist Nirvana any day over your cruel, mean-hearted world. And what's the babbling about kids' hunger alliance? Would you like to tell us where you checked "it" out (whatever "it" is), and share?
Buddah, I happen to know of several countries where you can live out your fantasy. Socialism is not a bad thing if that's what you're all about, so feel free to expand your horizons and move to a socialist country of your choice. Now pack up your household, apply for citizenship and have a good life in the ShangriLaLa land of your dreams..and don't forget to write and let us know how you are doing because we care.
tammy fay

Dublin, OH

#24 Apr 25, 2011
causal voter wrote:
Just when a story shows a glimmer of hope in Columbus the comments section always dashes it just as immediately.
Empathy is a strong social tool and practice that goes much further than any dollar, piece of legislation, or class project.
I'm thankful there are more people looking out for "you" rather than just "me." It's a shame our elected officials, Democrat, Republican, and otherwise, can't participate for even 1 day in an exercise like this. It's a worse shame that the negative nancies on this board can't even comprehend love toward a stranger.
And those of you commenting here (negatively) who went to Church yesterday, call yourselves Christian and have a Bible in your house - you're doing the big Man proud!
"Big Man"??? Are you referring to God, The Creator? God is not a man. His thoughts are not your thoughts. Stop bringing God down to your level. The Bible and God tell you not to steal but you socialists like to use the government to steal for you. Even the Israelites only had to tithe ten percent. You socialists would love to use the government to steal everything.
Sterling Silver

Columbus, OH

#25 Apr 25, 2011
Trump2012 wrote:
This has got to be one othe dumbest, most ignorant acts of self-importance I've ever seen. INSTEAD, why don't you take some of these "poor people" and put them in YOUR shoes. Show them how to stop smoking rock, how to get to work on time, how to balance a checkbook, how to save for a deposit for an apartment, how to work two/three part time jobs if no full time work is avaliable, how to use contraception, etc. You idiots who think your so compassionate and care so much for the downtrodden are the exact ones who help keep these people their with your pity parties. Make the understand what it is to be a part of the working world so they can pull their own weight.
Would YOU hire any of these people you want to work two and three jobs?

Yeah, didn't think so...
causal voter

Columbus, OH

#26 Apr 25, 2011
tammy fay wrote:
<quoted text>
"Big Man"??? Are you referring to God, The Creator? God is not a man. His thoughts are not your thoughts. Stop bringing God down to your level. The Bible and God tell you not to steal but you socialists like to use the government to steal for you. Even the Israelites only had to tithe ten percent. You socialists would love to use the government to steal everything.
You just made my point beautifully. But since you brought Scripture into it, lest you forget Romans 13:10; James 2:8; or especially Matthew 7:15.

Care to look in the mirror with that laser target?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alliance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stefani Schaefer (Oct '09) May 19 pamw 61
Election Who do you support for County Auditor in Ohio (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 Randy Miller 7
Excessive Sebring Water Bills Feb '17 JLB 1
Shirley Vance from Coalton Ohio (Oct '16) Oct '16 Slowlicker 4 you 2
News Traffic stop leads to criminal charges after fo... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Bodean 1
News Across Our Communities (Feb '16) Feb '16 carrollmac345 1
News Columbus council to open tap for water-system u... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Reality Speaks 9

Alliance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alliance Mortgages