Columbus To Provide Relief From Heat ...

Columbus To Provide Relief From Heat | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 16 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jul 6, 2010, titled Columbus To Provide Relief From Heat | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

Mayor Michael Coleman urged residents on Tuesday to take extra steps to stay cool and safe as temperatures reach the middle 90s this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

TakeMeAway

United States

#1 Jul 6, 2010
I just thought I'd comment on the whole "heatwave" discussion. I just turned on the 10TV news @5 and was annoyed as usual. Weathermen and news anchors complaining about the 90+ degree heat and interviews with local Ohioans complaining as well. Well, boo-hoo! You all complain in the winter when there's snow and cold weather and complain in the summer when there's hot weather! ever heard of "seasons"??? This is OHIO, morons! If you want to live somewhere where it's 70 degrees year-round and perfect, move to Hawaii!!! Geesh! Everyday I remember why I want to move the heck outta here. Thank you 10TV for bringing it to my attention once again.
UNREAL

Hilliard, OH

#2 Jul 6, 2010
Hey TakeMeAway ... I'm laughing so hard ... and agreeing with you 100%. boo-hoo is right.
anon

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 6, 2010
I feel for the older people. However, I am not running my air by choice. For one I would qualify for no assitance and centrail AC kills my electric bill. For several years we have skipped out on using it. Now I have noticed that I am more tolerant of heat and instead of holding up inside I am taking my water and enjoying being outside. I would take this heat over several inches of snow anyday.
Jaded

West Jefferson, OH

#5 Jul 6, 2010
Apparently 90 is the new 100! Definitely a slow news day when temps in the low 90s make all the "news" headlines. It seems like people need to complain about the temperature unless it's between 50 and 70 degrees!
Go ahead and leave lol

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 7, 2010
TakeMeAway wrote:
I just thought I'd comment on the whole "heatwave" discussion. I just turned on the 10TV news @5 and was annoyed as usual. Weathermen and news anchors complaining about the 90+ degree heat and interviews with local Ohioans complaining as well. Well, boo-hoo! You all complain in the winter when there's snow and cold weather and complain in the summer when there's hot weather! ever heard of "seasons"??? This is OHIO, morons! If you want to live somewhere where it's 70 degrees year-round and perfect, move to Hawaii!!! Geesh! Everyday I remember why I want to move the heck outta here. Thank you 10TV for bringing it to my attention once again.
If you don't like it, then change the channel! No one was complaining, MORON! They were advising people regarding the heat index and air quality, as it reminds folks to check on their elderly neighbors, etc.. You seem irritated, maybe you need to jump in a lake to cool off?
Guido

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 7, 2010
MYTAXESWASTED wrote:
Now all the welfareites can take advantage of the free pools that I pay for while I am at work and they are not. You will never find mee at one of those section 8 pools.
Right on who wants to swim in Pee!!!
Christie

Columbus, OH

#9 Jul 7, 2010
My small family of three had an ac which died late last summer. We cannot afford a replacement at this time, nor do we meet the requirements for the aid listed above. Is anyone aware of a resource for families with children, especially those like us with a toddler or younger? We work for a living, but live on a tiny budget. It's so frustrating because I am so worried about my son!

“I can be very special!”

Since: Jan 10

Bottom, Bikini

#11 Jul 7, 2010
Go ahead and leave lol wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't like it, then change the channel! No one was complaining, MORON! They were advising people regarding the heat index and air quality, as it reminds folks to check on their elderly neighbors, etc.. You seem irritated, maybe you need to jump in a lake to cool off?
People with heart disease, high blood pressure and lung problems will suffer when it is hot AND humid. Right now it is hot and humid.

They always write about the elderly persons having problems, but there are a bunch of younger people who have health problems in this kind of weather, too.

(And by the way, my garden needs some rain;))
TakeMeAwayToo

Muskegon, MI

#12 Jul 7, 2010
Right on, TakeMeAway. As for those who have health issues with heat and humidity, guess what happens when you move further North... that's right, less heat and humidity. You might say, well I can't afford to move. Well, complaining isn't going to convince the sun not to shine, and complaining is pointless if you don't plan to do something about it. My wife and I would like to move to FL where it is hot and humid most of the time, we love it. What we hate is the random snow in October or March in OH. We also hate the random storms. What's wrong with having a string of 90 degree sunny weather? Why do we have to pay for it with severe storms and a sudden cold front that drops the temp to 50 around here? That's just the climate in OH I guess. But we can't afford to move either. But we have this as a goal, and we will make it happen sooner or later. Therefore, we complain about OH, because we actually plan to do something about it as soon as we can. As for the argument to "change the channel" - it doesn't matter which local news you watch, they all offer their own complaints about the weather, hot or cold. Yet you still see the same news people year after year living here in OH.
Air head

New York, NY

#13 Jul 7, 2010
Anyone else without electricity??? It went out in parts of Reynoldsburg around 9 a.m. and is still out.
R U SERIOUS

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 7, 2010
Christie wrote:
My small family of three had an ac which died late last summer. We cannot afford a replacement at this time, nor do we meet the requirements for the aid listed above. Is anyone aware of a resource for families with children, especially those like us with a toddler or younger? We work for a living, but live on a tiny budget. It's so frustrating because I am so worried about my son!
Call the Ohio Breathing Association on Henderson Rd.
Tim

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 7, 2010
TakeMeAwayToo wrote:
Right on, TakeMeAway. As for those who have health issues with heat and humidity, guess what happens when you move further North... that's right, less heat and humidity. You might say, well I can't afford to move. Well, complaining isn't going to convince the sun not to shine, and complaining is pointless if you don't plan to do something about it. My wife and I would like to move to FL where it is hot and humid most of the time, we love it. What we hate is the random snow in October or March in OH. We also hate the random storms. What's wrong with having a string of 90 degree sunny weather? Why do we have to pay for it with severe storms and a sudden cold front that drops the temp to 50 around here? That's just the climate in OH I guess. But we can't afford to move either. But we have this as a goal, and we will make it happen sooner or later. Therefore, we complain about OH, because we actually plan to do something about it as soon as we can. As for the argument to "change the channel" - it doesn't matter which local news you watch, they all offer their own complaints about the weather, hot or cold. Yet you still see the same news people year after year living here in OH.
Crack me up. You can't stand the heat and humidity here in Ohio but you want to move to Florida where it's even worse. Plus, you have to dodge the hurricains. Yep...makes sense to me...NOT!!!
TakeMeAway

Dublin, OH

#16 Jul 7, 2010
To "Go ahead and leave lol" I have no problem with you calling me a moron. Free country. Go for it.:) But that's the pot calling the kettle black. You obviously didn't listen with both ears when the news was on, or maybe you missed the first few minutes, I don't know. It opened with COMPLAINING about the heat...oh the 90-degree weather and how it won't let up anytime soon, how will we ever be able to deal with it, etc. Hmmm, common sense? Drink water, stay cool. I'm so glad I had a news anchor to tell me that. The local news here (on any channel) should be renamed "News for Dummies."

And as far as checking on our elderly neighbors??? Old people are NOT stupid! Funny how the hottest places in the nation have the highest percentage of elderly living in them, doing just fine (Florida, Arizona, Texas...) I love how we "Northerners" think we have to make sure the elderly know how to live when they've been doing it for twice as long as us!

And Tim, I don't think "TakeMeAwayToo" was saying he wanted to move North. He was mentioning that those people who complain about the heat here may want to, but can't afford it...and that he PREFERS the heat, but also can't afford to move closer to it.
anon

Columbus, OH

#17 Jul 7, 2010
I have a family of five, which includes a 12 month old son. We make a choice not to use central air and for the past three years we have survived. My husband has asthma and oddly enough since we quit using air, we have seen an improvement in his asthma. Granted, I will not take away from the elderly nor the people with legitimate severe health problems. However, a majority of people should not be complaining about the heat. It is wonderful. Maybe it is just me, but I can't seem to figure out how the news is saying the humidity is that bad. I personally think it's been a nice dry heat. When we first quit using central air, nighttime was terrible for me. I remember feeling like my body was on fire, but you really can get used to the warmer temps. Also, fans in the windows really do make a huge difference at night.
Leslie

Newark, OH

#18 Jul 7, 2010
TakeMeAwayToo wrote:
Wait a second. Aren't you complaining about storms and cold weather? I thought you didn't want people to complain about the weather in Ohio. I guess everyone needs to just get used to the climate changes. We may not like the weather but its Ohio. Oh yeah by the way, if people want to complain let them! Last time I checked we still had the freedom to do that. If you don't want to listen, DON'T!!!
BuckI

United States

#19 Jul 8, 2010
I just got done watching Channel 10's story about donating fans. Twice they specified "box fans." My question is...why only box fans? I wanted to buy a few fans to donate today. Went to Lowe's, Target, and Home Depot...none of them had box fans, but all had plenty of stand fans and tower fans. Wouldn't any fan be better than none? Why the insistence on box fans?(I ended up buying a stand fan and taking it to a fire station anyway...if they don't want it, maybe the fire station can use it.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alliance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stefani Schaefer (Oct '09) May '17 pamw 61
Election Who do you support for County Auditor in Ohio (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 Randy Miller 7
Excessive Sebring Water Bills Feb '17 JLB 1
Shirley Vance from Coalton Ohio (Oct '16) Oct '16 Slowlicker 4 you 2
News Traffic stop leads to criminal charges after fo... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Bodean 1
News Across Our Communities (Feb '16) Feb '16 carrollmac345 1
News Columbus council to open tap for water-system u... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Reality Speaks 9

Alliance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Alliance Mortgages